MORNE

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, TheoG said:

*snip*

Just a question, is the white & black bottle cages intentional or just what you had avaialable?

So the build actually started as a mash up of old parts, and the mismatched bottle cages fit the aesthetic I was going for - you can find the first rigid single speed version from about a year ago on this thread.

I've slowly gone through and replaced almost everything as it was the bike I ended up riding the most, as it just felt more fun - I actually have another matching black bottle cage that I just completely forgot to put on!

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

Is it just me, or are those relatively narrow bars? Given that its a pretty aggressive trail bike in what looks to be a Large frame, I'd expect a wider bar on it. 

These are super narrow carbon bars actually, you're right - I find when doing longer distances I tend to lean on my hands a bit more than I should, and the narrower bars just feel more comfortable.

The bike actually feels agile enough with these bars that I've never even considered changing them, so maybe something to look into on the next round of upgrades (don't tell my bank account ;) )

23 hours ago, Nic Brigando said:

Set up the Tigre to pretty much be a do-it-all bike. 130mm travel so that I can do everything from ultra-endurance (see you at the munga grit in september) to enduro, with half cleat/half flat pedals and sexy ardent tyres!

Took her out during the sunset today to get some pics and she is absolutely beautiful, even if I do say so myself ;)

downsize1.png

downsize2.png

downsize3.png

downsize4.png

What is the HTA as She Stands ?

5 hours ago, Nic Brigando said:

120mm is listed as 66, 140mm listed as 65.2, so I can only assume it's around 65.5~65.6 :P

That's very Slack for a Trails Bike and it Explains Why the Pedals are far from the front wheel when compared with other Trails Bikes e.g Merida, Spez

18 hours ago, Nic Brigando said:

These are super narrow carbon bars actually, you're right - I find when doing longer distances I tend to lean on my hands a bit more than I should, and the narrower bars just feel more comfortable.

The bike actually feels agile enough with these bars that I've never even considered changing them, so maybe something to look into on the next round of upgrades (don't tell my bank account ;) )

Had the same problem on my previous bike, so i also chopped the bars down to 720mm from 800 since thats the other way to get your wrists in a better spot. Always found myself moving my hands to the inside of the brake leavers after about 40km and just cruising along. 

I always knew more backsweep would solve that problem for me because part of why your wrists start hurting over long distances on 780-800mm wide with stock 9* back sweep bars is because your they are not in a natural position. - Always cocked/attack mode.

Then one day i walk into a bike shop and there hangs some SQ labs 30X 12 and 16* backsweep bars. They are pricey but they changed everything for my hand comfort. You get best of both worlds. Wide bars, with more back sweep for better hand position.

i sold that bike and dont even have a mtb at present…but I still have those bars in the parts bin - thats how much i liked them.

415761AB-19EB-41FA-B66A-CA24B7E251DD.jpeg

80972DF1-FD08-4400-96C3-527F7AC9B16F.jpeg

IMG_2800 2.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

5 hours ago, MORNE said:

Had the same problem on my previous bike, so i also chopped the bars down to 720mm from 800 since thats the other way to get your wrists in a better spot. Always found myself moving my hands to the inside of the brake leavers after about 40km and just cruising along. 

I always knew more backsweep would solve that problem for me because part of why your wrists start hurting over long distances on 780-800mm wide with stock 9* back sweep bars is because your they are not in a natural position. - Always cocked/attack mode.

Then one day i walk into a bike shop and there hangs some SQ labs 30X 12 and 16* backsweep bars. They are pricey but they changed everything for my hand comfort. You get best of both worlds. Wide bars, with more back sweep for better hand position.

i sold that bike and dont even have a mtb at present…but I still have those bars in the parts bin - thats how much i liked them.

415761AB-19EB-41FA-B66A-CA24B7E251DD.jpeg

I'm actually considering a set of these as opposed to a drop bar conversion to add some comfort to my mtb. Bit of a spendy test to do, but I'm not comfortable on longer rides at the moment and can't seem to get my fit dialled in the way I want to, and I've narrowed it down to my wrist position. Currently testing narrowing my bars by just moving everything inwards, but I think some extra sweep would be the ticket.

Extra sweep is life

Morne very graciously palmed some Surly Sunrise bars with 14.7' backsweep off to me a while ago.... 

They are awesome

13 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

That's very Slack for a Trails Bike and it Explains Why the Pedals are far from the front wheel when compared with other Trails Bikes e.g Merida, Spez

No its not very slack for a hard tail at all. As soon as you sit on it the HTA steepens because there is no sag out back. BTW, on my road bike, my toes can hit the front wheel if there is an unhappy confluence of pedal and steering input. Those so called trail HT's are more like road bikes 🙂 

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Extra sweep is life

Morne very graciously palmed some Surly Sunrise bars with 14.7' backsweep off to me a while ago.... 

They are awesome

I regret giving you those👀 

they are awesome too if you can look past their weight. But they are literally metal AF (steel) so there is some street cred in that.

haha

Edited by MORNE

Just now, MORNE said:

they are awesome too if you can look past their weight.

haha

They really are a bit of a ships anchor but they are sexy as heck on the ROS9

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

They really are a bit of a ships anchor but they are sexy as heck on the ROS9

It will look good on a trail adaption of Mint-Pistachio-Sause too 

24 minutes ago, MORNE said:

they are awesome too if you can look past their weight. But they are literally metal AF (steel) so there is some street cred in that.

haha

When Metal Meets Memes: From Undercover Dogs To… | Kerrang!