Pedal thread repairs in JHB

Wimmas

Just to add to this, the items the OP sourced on ebay are the correct items needed to perform this type of repair. You need a threaded insert and NOT a helicoil, helicoils are terrible things and will not conform to the bicycle specific pedal thread size of 9/16"x 20TPI.  It isn't an easy repair if you don't have the correct skills and equipment.  The setup needs to be correct so that the new thread created for the insert is perpendicular to the original hole otherwise you'll end up with a wobbly pedal axle when pedalling.  Man how I wish I had my own workshop and the time to help people out in situations like this.  I could do it through my work but then the cost to the company will be too high and the repair not economically viable.

This^^

There are companies that literally just do thread repair, will be cheaper and better than any bike shop

I am not really sure how it initially stripped. It's a brand new bike so I am not sure if the place I bought it at tightened the standard pedals too much, or if I ruined it. It might be that the standard pedals were tightened too much, and when I inserted the new pedals I just added to the damage. It is done now and let's just say it is my own stupidity.

Lyne have been out of stock of cranks for a while now. Rapide as well. Not sure what is going on with their stock issues.

[/url]

Safe bet is that the covid shipping backlog is to blame for their (Lyne and Rapide) stock issues. Shimano is sitting with a 400day lead time on their OEM orders. We'll be feeling the knock on effect for a while still.

Over tightening a pedal to the point of stripping a thread is highly unlikely. Maybe by using a pipe or powerbar to add leverage. Threading it in the right way and then adding force will however strip the thread. And then taking it out and reinserting will exacerbate the situation.

I have stripped a thread in my youth. It happened by not tightening the pedal correctly and then it working loose until it was only held in partway. That was drilled out and an insert pressed in by an engineering shop. Was a couple of hundred bucks if I recall correctly.

I see you are in Roodepoort, Contact a company by the name of Free-turn engineering 011 664 6905   

Wolly or Rudy, Go there with the Crank arm, they should be able to help, they are a supplier to my company.

Here is a locally supplied crank repair kit - Not cheap - they seem to be affiliated with Torqe Zone Academy - Maybe contact them and they can do a repair for you

https://uniorbiketools.co.za/crank-saver-pedal-thread-repair-and-insert-kit-751556.html?cat=70826

Any PROPER LBS should have a kit like this.  Somehow I doubt if that's the case, maybe one or two ...

Edit:  PS, I will ride Shitmano any day rather tham Scram ...   :D .

Edited by Theog

Safe bet is that the covid shipping backlog is to blame for their (Lyne and Rapide) stock issues. Shimano is sitting with a 400day lead time on their OEM orders. We'll be feeling the knock on effect for a while still.

Over tightening a pedal to the point of stripping a thread is highly unlikely. Maybe by using a pipe or powerbar to add leverage. Threading it in the right way and then adding force will however strip the thread. And then taking it out and reinserting will exacerbate the situation.

I have stripped a thread in my youth. It happened by not tightening the pedal correctly and then it working loose until it was only held in partway. That was drilled out and an insert pressed in by an engineering shop. Was a couple of hundred bucks if I recall correctly.

never mind the cost issues, a crank combo I paid R1290 for in March, will set you back R3795 today, and they have no stock anyway...

if You don't come right they are in CPT Knipe racing 0722676619 have the tools to do the job.

Thats good to know. Anyone else in CT that may do it?

The bike shops I have checked at so far don't. Apparently BMC have a guy that can do it.