Costal bike stores

Forthelove

I had a fantastic experience with doing a bike setup at Coimbra George this afternoon! Totally mind blowing! I dont ride a specialized (on a vipa) but was told to go there by countless people. Absolutely brilliant! The owner, Wikus treated me with nothing but respect and kindness. Im very impressed.

I guess there’s a roster. You drew the “quality service” card and the rest of us got the crumbs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bru, I literally only go there if Donny is on duty. Phone beforehand or ask for him on arrival. The guy is top drawer calibre.

The shop should be top drawer, not just a single person bru!

In fact, I don’t give a flying **** who Donny is. Gary, Larry, Harry, and Mary should all give good service.

I shouldn’t have to phone ahead to book a private consult with the only person that gives good service.

The counters in that shop serve the only purpose by giving the staff something to lean on.

Edited by DR ◣◢

Just checked one of the more expensive bike shops in CT website, and they say R100 for a tubeless per wheel, ex parts.

Assume sealant at R75 / wheel (assumed)

Tape another R75 / wheel (assumed)

and boom ... you are pretty much on your R300 mark.

Are the coastal stores not maybe just more expensive that the stores up country given the higher cost for rentals and I assume the cost factor to get stock to their stores if they are outside of the major city metropoles ?

Yes R300 for one tyre not two ! Boom

:- Yes it’s easy to change a tyre- but possibly the chaps on holiday does not have access to slime and happy to pay what he gets billed in say Pretoria or where ever the usual fee is give or take about R60-R150 per tire -but to get ripped off for one tyre R300- I to would be unhappy. Let’s presume he’s good with his head and hands - he’s a expert consultant for Sars’s or Securtiy mercenary manager or thoracic surgeon - or all three - simply because he’s on holiday and is happy to pay does not give a store the right to over charge. Overcharging on the small things will aggravate a customer, so when they come into buy a bike for 100 K they will already know the store is going to rip them off and go else’s where -give good service, fair charges and take care of the people in a professional way then everyone wins. It’s not rocket science.

Not sure where you reside. If CT, ignore my post.

But there is a now infamous cocktail bar in campsbay (because i think they probably started the trend?) that basically double their prices over holiday seasons. Its a thing down here. Most restaurants have in-season prices that are notably higher than offseason prices. The rest of the year we get to go to those same places for 25-50% less lol.

Supply/demand.

If i were the only LBS in a holiday town where a 100 holiday makers all of a sudden remembered they needed to get their bikes services..i’d also push the prices up a bit. Ill do it when the season starts. That person is also on holiday technically. I do the same in my line of work, everybody does. If you want it yesterday or in a time when im really busy, and you are persistent, you are going to pay more because i’m going to have to work longer hours. Vets do it, dokters do it, everybody does it lol. If you fall your face and shoulder off on a saturday (like i did 3 weeks ago) and you need the plastic surgeon and radiologist to come in on Saturday...you’ll pay double for their time/consultation fees.

Supply/demand.

Exactly.!

That chap in the LBS would probably also like to be out riding or sitting around a fire with beer in hand.

He doesn't really want to service your bike, or fix your tubeless leak, but if you're willing to pay the premium, no problem.

Often see people quoting exorbitant fees because they actually don't want the job.

In fact, I don’t give a flying **** who Donny is. Gary, Larry, Harry, and Mary should all give good service.

There, there.

I was saying R250-300 per tyre pending what all is needed seems "std" pricing.

Not sure where you reside. If CT, ignore my post.

But there is a now infamous cocktail bar in campsbay (because i think they probably started the trend?) that basically double their prices over holiday seasons. Its a thing down here. Most restaurants have in-season prices that are notably higher than offseason prices. The rest of the year we get to go to those same places for 25-50% less lol.

Supply/demand.

If i were the only LBS in a holiday town where a 100 holiday makers all of a sudden remembered they needed to get their bikes services..i’d also push the prices up a bit. Ill do it when the season starts. That person is also on holiday technically. I do the same in my line of work, everybody does. If you want it yesterday or in a time when im really busy, and you are persistent, you are going to pay more because i’m going to have to work longer hours. Vets do it, dokters do it, everybody does it lol. If you fall your face and shoulder off on a saturday (like i did 3 weeks ago) and you need the plastic surgeon and radiologist to come in on Saturday...you’ll pay double for their time/consultation fees.

Had a project now end of year, where the potential client let things slide and she only approached me on the 11th hour.

Project well behind on program

Tons of details to be resolved

No clear vision from the client

Shocking base information to work off

Wants the info NOW

Quoted her my usual rate, never got an clear answer on acceptance, offer up over 10 hours of meeting time and detail development then she says I am too expensive.

So she wants me to lose my December holiday to get her project back on track, working late into the nights and then pay me less than my asking price.

Long story short .... I hope she has found someone else as I have withdrawn the offer of my services.

Small coastal town bike shops catering for the holiday maker are working their asses off to get work out. They selling off their stock and have to order more to keep the locals also rolling ... their suppliers are really really ripping off the LBS's now and not giving them great prices either on stock, or on shipping the stock to them.

The corner shop LBS is generally not there to rip you as a cyclist off, they have skin in the game and know that there is a long term gain by being fair and offering good service ... not so sure RE the concept stores though.

The one LBS I spoke to this week had to spend a stupid amount of money just to secure tubes that will arrive in the next 3 months time. The price he was paying per tube really did not offer any decent profit for him in any way.

To add ... I am looking for a decent rear trail orientated tyre at the moment. Shops either do not have stock or what they do have is stupidly priced, because the stock shortages do not allow them to get discounts from the distributors again.

1 Tyre - 

Labour R100.00

Sealant R 75.00

Tape R 75.00

Total R 250.00  Xmas Bonus R 50.00 = R 300.00 

What is that 8 or 9 beers?

What is your labour rate that you bill yourself out to at the office?

How long did it take to do? (15 -20 mins so call it half an hour labour charge all in all not a bad cost if you ask me)

I get so miffed with people that always moan about costs (espcially labour), but if you break it down you are probably billing way more than you are being charged.

Think about it.

1 Tyre - 

Labour R100.00

Sealant R 75.00

Tape R 75.00

Total R 250.00  Xmas Bonus R 50.00 = R 300.00 

What is that 8 or 9 beers?

What is your labour rate that you bill yourself out to at the office?

How long did it take to do? (15 -20 mins so call it half an hour labour charge all in all not a bad cost if you ask me)

I get so miffed with people that always moan about costs (espcially labour), but if you break it down you are probably billing way more than you are being charged.

Think about it.

Wasting your breath..

Most of the people(not sure if they classify as cyclists)on here are cheapskates 

Wasting your breath..

Most of the people(not sure if they classify as cyclists)on here are cheapskates 

I am a cheapskate, but also a realist :P so accept the prices as long as the service and workmanship is good and the pricing market related.

• 2 weeks later...

A little observation that the up country riders can take note of.

We went to look for the new school years stationary today. Based on an on-line brochure for a large supermarket chain we planned what we wanted, created a list and tagged the product description and price so that we could get in and out the store ASAP.

Browsing the prices, every single price was higher than advertised. When I questioned this with the manager her told me that the pricing on line was for the up country stores and not coastal stores.

Bottom line, the pricing was 12% more for the exact same stock in a store in the CT metropole area vs in JHB.

So next time you guys come down and complain about the coastal town pricing, take a moment to realise the cost of living is much higher in the coastal areas and the pricing reflects what us coastal riders need to contend with on a daily basis.

Yup... As per hairy said, I have no idea why anyone who doesn't go to the beach, use the mountain etc would choose to live in CT.

Joburg people earn more, cost of living is 10 to 30% less, housing/rentals etc is way cheaper, your car doesn't rust and the people are way friendlier.

I remember last time I was up country I nearly took home a whole bag full of cheese. It was one third the price we pay in the mother city!

As an aside, is the spelling error in the thread heading on purpose?

Yup... As per hairy said, I have no idea why anyone who doesn't go to the beach, use the mountain etc would choose to live in CT.

Joburg people earn more, cost of living is 10 to 30% less, housing/rentals etc is way cheaper, your car doesn't rust and the people are way friendlier.

I remember last time I was up country I nearly took home a whole bag full of cheese. It was one third the price we pay in the mother city!

As an aside, is the spelling error in the thread heading on purpose?

Post of 2021 for me. Not sure why I laughed so hard at this one.