Kids Titan 9r

Charles71

Not much of a build but a quick refurb and colour change.

So late last year (November) I started thinking about my daughters 9th birthday that was coming up in Jan 2021, and because I love bikes and spend my day drooling over bikes and anything cycling related whenever I get a chance - I decided to get her a bigger bike as a birthday gift as she is outgrowing her 20inch pretty fast. The hunt was on for a 24inch bike to replace her 20inch barbie bike. 

I started by researching frame sizes and found myself looking at geometry, and comparing Rigid, HT and Full-Sus frames. I proceeded to measure her height and inseam and I was now in two minds - buy a 24inch bike or a XS 26inch bike. At this point I might have been overthinking this whole thing, so I decided to look for a brand new 24inch bike (budget of R4k) but to my amazement - there was no stock due to Covid. I decided I'll get a good used 24inch bike but things were a bit slow - I guess parents were holding on to their kids bikes and the few that were available were just too expensive for the spec. 

Then, I came across a Titan 9r Hades (26inch wheels with a 24inch frame) - yes (I thought) and I bought it without thinking twice. Bike looks like it was neglected as it had rust everywhere but components were functional, a good refurb project - so I thought. My daughter wanted a yellow bike and the Titan was a black and white colour.

post-102078-0-56854300-1610467683_thumb.jpeg

post-102078-0-80538900-1610467696_thumb.jpeg

post-102078-0-66716600-1610467710_thumb.jpeg

As I soon found out, refurbs are a lot of work (kudos to those who manage to turn them around). This is what I was presented with when I took the fork apart. :oops:

post-102078-0-89987100-1610467721_thumb.jpeg

Two things that I learned during this whole process was:

1. You need lots of patience to do this

2. Take better pics for the bikedads (and moms) to  :drool: over

I sanded down the old paint and then used Spectra paints (<R70 at Makro for ~300ml can), starting with primer for the frame then followed by Satin black and some sanding for the fade effect which was done with a sunshine yellow.

The seatpost and handlebars were sanded and sprayed with satin black. The final product below. I need a proper camera as this now looks less epic  :huh:

post-102078-0-23144300-1610467743_thumb.jpeg

post-102078-0-98278500-1610467755_thumb.jpeg

post-102078-0-25282800-1610467787_thumb.jpeg

The fleet

post-102078-0-72408000-1610467812_thumb.jpeg

And I think I managed to make her happy.

post-102078-0-40641100-1610467926_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Charles71

Not much of a build but a quick refurb and colour change.

So late last year (November) I started thinking about my daughters 9th birthday that was coming up in Jan 2021, and because I love bikes and spend my day drooling over bikes and anything cycling related whenever I get a chance - I decided to get her a bigger bike as a birthday gift as she is outgrowing her 20inch pretty fast. The hunt was on for a 24inch bike to replace her 20inch barbie bike. 

I started by researching frame sizes and found myself looking at geometry, and comparing Rigid, HT and Full-Sus frames. I proceeded to measure her height and inseam and I was now in two minds - buy a 24inch bike or a XS 26inch bike. At this point I might have been overthinking this whole thing, so I decided to look for a brand new 24inch bike (budget of R4k) but to my amazement - there was no stock due to Covid. I decided I'll get a good used 24inch bike but things were a bit slow - I guess parents were holding on to their kids bikes and the few that were available were just too expensive for the spec. 

Then, I came across a Titan 9r Hades (26inch wheels with a 24inch frame) - yes (I thought) and I bought it without thinking twice. Bike looks like it was neglected as it had rust everywhere but components were functional, a good refurb project - so I thought. My daughter wanted a yellow bike and the Titan was a black and white colour.

attachicon.gifOldBike1.jpeg

attachicon.gifOldBike.jpeg

attachicon.gifOldBike2.jpeg

As I soon found out, refurbs are a lot of work (kudos to those who manage to turn them around). This is what I was presented with when I took the fork apart. :oops:

attachicon.gifOldFork.jpeg

Two things that I learned during this whole process was:

1. You need lots of patience to do this

2. Take better pics for the bikedads (and moms) to  :drool: over

I sanded down the old paint and then used Spectra paints (<R70 at Makro for ~300ml can), starting with primer for the frame then followed by Satin black and some sanding for the fade effect which was done with a sunshine yellow.

The seatpost and handlebars were sanded and sprayed with satin black. The final product below. I need a proper camera as this now looks less epic  :huh:

attachicon.gifNBikeFrame.jpeg

attachicon.gifNBikeAs.jpeg

attachicon.gifNBA.jpeg

The fleet

attachicon.gifBikeFleet.jpeg

And I think I managed to make her happy.

attachicon.gifNBWr.jpeg

Lucky girl.

Well done.

Very nice !!

Our little have been riding on a Titan 24-9R for just more than a year. VERY nice bike !!

Other than wash and lube the only "maintenance" I have done was to clean and re-lube the jockey wheels of the derailure.

ENJOY

my 11 year old is on a 24-9r - has given him confidence with the bigger tyres and small frame - if you want to do decals - you can get custom stickers printed on Vinyl - or you can use water transfer stickers - actually very easy and adds to the uniqueness - just watch out for the black as the colours get a bit lost, print with inkjet and word/powerpoint etc, and clear lacquer over -   

can sort you out with a sheet of paper of transfer paper if you need 

Awesome work on that DIY

I was in similar predicament with 24 inch bike or 26 xs, luckily got a good deal on a 26xs

my 11 year old is on a 24-9r - has given him confidence with the bigger tyres and small frame - if you want to do decals - you can get custom stickers printed on Vinyl - or you can use water transfer stickers - actually very easy and adds to the uniqueness - just watch out for the black as the colours get a bit lost, print with inkjet and word/powerpoint etc, and clear lacquer over -   

can sort you out with a sheet of paper of transfer paper if you need 

That sounds like fun, thanks for the offer will let PM you if I decide to go this route.

I actually incorporated some glitter when spraying the last base coat but due to the sanding process to get the frame smooth before spraying on clear coat - I lost the effect that I was hoping for - you can hardly see the glitter in photos 

See this photo here.

post-102078-0-89917900-1610486630_thumb.jpeg

This looks amazing, well done.... 

I'm in the same boat as my 9 year old is also hammering her 20" 

I've started scouring the interweb for a 24" for her. 

This looks amazing, well done.... 

I'm in the same boat as my 9 year old is also hammering her 20" 

I've started scouring the interweb for a 24" for her. 

All the best, try and get something light if you can. The titan currently weighs just under 14kg - call it 13,5kg (on a bathroom scale - not very accurate) but you can tell it's heavy. Her 20inch (singlespeed) is approx 10kg. I'll most likely change crank to a 1x and tyres to tubeless which should bring down the weight a bit but that's planned for later in the year or next year.