So what is a safe lock?

DR ◣◢

January 2020 we were in a SANS Park.  A family with a double cab bakkie stopped at the unit next to ours ..... very soon their panic was clearly visible!!

They had LOCKED the Thule Express rack with a pad lock .... the key was inside the load bin .... they could not open the loadbin with the rack on the bakkie .....

Two spanners, and 15 seconds later I "removed" the lock for them .....  (they would have been seriously stuffed if they had used a proper lock)

His face when I popped the lock so easy was absolutely priceless ....  :whistling:  

Similar happened to me on the way to Cape Town the one year.

We stopped at the Engen at Beaufort Wes and wanted to open the trailer to get our extra Padkos out. Oops, left the keys at home.

A guy with one of those work bakkies with the big toolbox built into the back stops next to us, so we ask him if he has a grinder or hacksaw, he takes one look at the lock, leans into his toolbox and grabs 2 big spanners, next thing boom, no more lock.

I learnt a lesson that day.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got an older model of this:

https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Locks/U-Shackle-Locks/U-Shackle-Locks-Bike/GRANIT-Plus-470-150HB230-EaZy-KF?type=pdp

I've had it for over 12 years. I didn't own a car in the UK so my bike got parked outside every dodgy pub and Indian restaurant in london for 6 years. Since then it's been looking after my bike in stellenbosch for 6 years. I still haven't lost a bike. Maybe I'm lucky but I think it's a good lock. I'm not sure if you can get them here. 

Similar happened to me on the way to Cape Town the one year.

We stopped at the Engen at Beaufort Wes and wanted to open the trailer to get our extra Padkos out. Oops, left the keys at home.

A guy with one of those work bakkies with the big toolbox built into the back stops next to us, so we ask him if he has a grinder or hacksaw, he takes one look at the lock, leans into his toolbox and grabs 2 big spanners, next thing boom, no more lock.

I learnt a lesson that day.

I went to boarding school. We each had a trunk we could lock with a padlock - it's where most guys kept their stash of sweets they brought from home. I also learned very quickly to get one of those round locks you can't get a spanner into. Everyone learned that lesson in the first week of boarding school. 

with battery powered angle grinders these days being very affordable, I reckon your best lock is one of these fabric type sheath ones. also effective against a big bolt cutter

the weakest point becomes the lock itself and not the chain, you can put the lock bit in a harder to reach area for extra caution.

10773715-1363089212-668894.jpg

I went to boarding school. We each had a trunk we could lock with a padlock - it's where most guys kept their stash of sweets they brought from home. I also learned very quickly to get one of those round locks you can't get a spanner into. Everyone learned that lesson in the first week of boarding school. 

same here... boarding school teaches all the tricks to get around a lock

Where do you get the Kryptonite covered chain one in SA?

My web searches only revealed the cable and U-Lock.

I wasn't going to go through the whole thread... But if you want to know the best bike lock them go and browse the YouTube channel of the lock picking lawyer

I apologise in advance for the hours you will spend watching all of his other videos... Especially when they come up in your recommended YouTube list

https://youtu.be/SpVOTEOMRuE

I wasn't going to go through the whole thread... But if you want to know the best bike lock them go and browse the YouTube channel of the lock picking lawyer

I apologise in advance for the hours you will spend watching all of his other videos... Especially when they come up in your recommended YouTube list

I suffer from mild insomnia and I now know how to pick locks. All thanks to this guy.

I suffer from mild insomnia and I now know how to pick locks. All thanks to this guy.

ive seen him pop up on my recommended YT feed, guess I now need to dig a little deeper .

These locks are pretty decent, got one for the spare wheel on my Bakkie after the original spare was stolen, been meaning to get more to try secure my racks and bikes a little better

https://www.builders.co.za/Fasteners-Fixtures-%26-Security/Security/Padlocks/Master-Lock-Motor-Bike-Lock-Cable-%281-2m%29/p/000000000000018543

Lockpicking Lawyer would pick that in less than a minute and he often criticizes Masterlock. You need the correct tools and experience though.

Its one of those bizarrely satisfying Youtube channels.