Squirt Lube

Peron

6 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Bought a can today from the local Wurth shop - R190 for 400ml which should last a while. Keen to give it a try, will report back after a couple of rides.

How often do you clean and apply it? Do you just spray it on directly? I was thinking of squirting it into a syringe or squeeze bottle with a nozzle and then use that to drip it onto the chain.

Just spray it on. It's different to the normal lubes. You will see when you use it. It dries very fast and leaves a very thin film. A can lasts quite a long time.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/9/2023 at 8:00 AM, DieselnDust said:

Those are in the cosmetics dept right, the type used for heating wax for hair removal?

I beat the wax in a glass beaker that’s placed in a water filled pot. Even then it’s in slow heat as you don’t want the wax overheating either you just want it he temp just above melting point so around 60 degrees is fine and below boiling point of the water.  This is the way. 

if melting in a pot directly use a strainer to suspend the chain so it does not touch the bottom. Again low heat as high heat can oxidise the wax and cause damage to chains as we’ve heard

image.jpeg.9d95b19dd71353274fc61ec1f088b2c8.jpeg

On 4/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, MudLark said:

Just spray it on. It's different to the normal lubes. You will see when you use it. It dries very fast and leaves a very thin film. A can lasts quite a long time.

Tried it out today. I degreased the new chain and let it dry before applying the HHS. I tried spraying it into a syringe, but it evaporates too quickly and it's also too liquid to stay inside, so spraying is the only option it seems. The nice thing about how quickly it dries is that is that you can apply it and go ride withing a few minutes. The chain still sounded good on the way home from the trails and it doesn't look like it picked up a lot of dust. Longer term usage and how long the chain lasts will be the real test.

Should I just wipe the chain after a ride and reapply and occasionally do a full clean?

The safety data sheet is a bit scary. I'm guessing it's mostly for the propellants. Don't breathe the fumes (to be expected, so use it outside) and avoid contact with skin (possible irritation) and clothing (stains I guess). It doesn't seem very environmentally friendly either, especially to fish. I would prefer a safer drip-on product, even if it takes longer to dry.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 4:56 PM, DieselnDust said:

You will need an emulsion additive to keep the wax in the water. Sodium dodecyl sulphate is such a chemical but it’s  not an over the counter chemical. Smallest pack size is usually 20kg.

sorry forgot to add that a pressure cooker might be a good idea too. 

@DieselnDust

I managed to emulsify Spar brand candle wax by using some Squirt Lube as the Emulsifying Agent.

25ml Squirt Lube

25ml Candle Wax

35 ml Water

5 ml Clicks Liquid Paraffin (Oil)

Put in a Small Pot in Bain Marie until Candle Melts, Stir, Remove Heat, Continue to stir Until Cool.

Once it cooled the Wax did not separate.  Water can be added and  (Oil) can be added.

I've been using it to lube MTB Chain and it runs cleaner than Squirt on its own.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought this Stuff for R110

Thought it was similar to Squirt but Inside it's a Green Gel.

Terrible to Apply and Made My Drive Train Dirty After 1 Ride.

Once Applied it did not Dry.

School Fees.

BTW It's water Soluble.

waxo.jpg

Edited by dasilvarsa

I've looked at going wax etc but for me changing from Squirt isn't worth the hassle. So far it's looked after my drivetrain well. Changed Eagle GX chain after about 2900km, my XX1 chain has done around 10,000km and still first cassette.