Squirt Lube

Peron

When I use to use that Squirt stuff I would lube the chain the night before a ride so it could dry off a bit..otherwise I found it just made a gunky mess...I also used a Bearing Man product called Go....same stuff really....just a bigger bottle but cheaper in the long run.

These days I just use gear oil., one drop per pin.....Done with paying a fortune for 120ml of liquid.....

Most important bit is to clean off excess and keep chain clean after every ride regardless of what you use I think....?

Spot on

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both Smoove and Squirt. Squirt definitely gunks up more but is better for wetter rides. Smoove is king for dusty conditions. It’s super important not to use too much and after running it through the chain to wipe off the excess. I only live the inside of the chain.

That being said I do run the chain through a rag and relubr before each ride. Takes 5 minutes but it keeps everything clean and smooth.

Great Advice ????????

Squirt lube has given me sticky chain links which don't move freely as designed. I no longer use it.

I have used Squirt for the last 10 years I reckon on my roadbike and the last 3 1/2 on my MTB. I have found that I only get build up if I apply too much. The last few weeks the grass in the Cradle has been k@k long and gave found that mushrd up grass in my drive train has been big cause of gunk buildup. I only bring degreader near my chain once a month or so and never soak it. Between rides I hose it off like the rest of the bike and when dry I just back pedal it threw my hand gripping a cloth. I've done around 5000km on my SRAM gold chain and it's going strong. As an aside, I recently tried the new Bat Seal wax lube from Rush. Far too runny for my liking. A lube shouldn't drip onto the floor when applied...

Edited by love2fly

I’m a big fan of squirt lube. What I’ve done over the years, when I apply lube, I use the cassette replacement wheel and leave the lube to dry. Also, once the chain is fully lubed, and run a few revolutions, I then wipe the chainring, jockey wheels and chain outer and inner. I clean my complete drivetrain once a month, wipe chain outer and inner before every ride and my system looks clean, well most of the time. I must add that I enjoy working on the bike too so it’s not an issue for me.

Edited by Edereese

Bring your empty around next time you're in the area and we'll refill for you.

Got a 5l workshop bottle lurking in a cupboard.

That said, Smoove is our go-to otherwise. If you follow the application instructions it stays clean and free of squeaks for longer than most.

Awesome, thanks Droo! I will do. The bike is due for a suspension service in the next 2 or so months anyway, so will drop by then.

I only use squirt lube on my bike, to be honest I have never degreased my nx 1x12 chain in 2 years and done about 4000km on the same chain and it is only on the 0.5% mark of wear. I also lube only on the inside of the chain, for a max of 2 revolutions. The drive train is silent, a bit dusty on the sides of the chain yes, but the rollers between the links are clean and not sticky at all. I tend to apply new lube after about 3 or 4 rides.

Actually, a good point is made above. Most people don't use Squirt correctly. They throw it on the chain just before they go for a ride. It's action designed to be applied well in advance, left to dry fully and then another layer applied and left to dry fully. If you use it correctly, it's actually a lot less gunky. But I still find the Wurth stuff a bit better and more convenient to use, in part because it is fast drying.

There's actually another brand as well which comes in a conventional plastic bottle that evaporates fast and leaves a very visible wax layer… I like it as well. I have a bottle somewhere – can't remember the brand name but will look later.

Edited by MudLark

Which models can you recommend ?

What chemicals would you use with it ?

And then the sticky question .... how often do you replace the quick link ...[/quote

BJ oberholzer it’s about R1800.00

Lasts forever . I used isopropyl alcohol in mine. Just let the dirt settle and then pump out with a small hand held fuel pump I bought at the hobby store.

Quick links I replace every second use with genuine eagle links for R50. I buy the loose oem ones they’re silver in colour. Those rainbow coloured ones are R90 now!!

I only take the chain off maybe once in 3 months for a deep clean. Haven’t been doing this since eagle and my oberholzer broke down. I had it since the 90s. Bought it for R50 from an equipment auction at work

Takes lot has quite a few units. You can also try Communica in Woodstock/SaltRiver.

Where to you buy isopropyl alcohol?