Brake Upgrade

For your use case there's no reason to spend above and beyond Shimano Deore (best value for money brakeset IMO).

Rather spend the leftover funds on other upgrades.

I haven't read or done scientific tests but I highly doubt there is more braking power between Shimano brakesets, if you keep the number of pistons the same. There's a difference in look, feel and weight (different materials used), but the braking power difference would probably be placebo, or negligible at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRqFVNV7ii0&ab_channel=WorldwideCyclery

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right M L. Even the Shimano range below Deore, although not as cool looking in the lever department offer great stopping power. You can get a complete set for less than R2k if there is stock.

Anyone who says a jump to a 200/3 rotor doesn't make a difference has never tried it. (I've done it on various bikes and its a very noticeable upgrade from 180). I'm trying a 200/200 set up on my enduro bike for the first time and so far it seems to be great.

I have no doubt that the level Ts are fairly weak brakes if you are heavy and like to go fast  - they're entry levelish XC brakes. That said, a jump in rotor size will make a noticeable difference and is far cheaper than a whole brake set. Top SRAM brakes now approach R10k for a set but there is always the cheap and cheerful Shimano Deore option which will make a massive difference.

what fork is fitted to the Titan cypher 120? A manitou markhor? or a ROCK Shox Recon?

Markhor can accept up to 203mm rotors.

Some budget RS forks only accept up to 180mm rotors

It is the Markhor 

what fork is fitted to the Titan cypher 120? A manitou markhor? or a ROCK Shox Recon?

Markhor can accept up to 203mm rotors.

Some budget RS forks only accept up to 180mm rotors

I've looked online and see Formula Cura 2 is about R5k per set. Is this for the whole set (front and back), or only front or back? 

That is for the whole set. If you shop around a bit you should be able to get it for less than 5k. 

Got my formula Cura's for <R5k. There wasn't stock of the SRAM Guide G2 at the time but the Formula brakes have been a revelation. They are superb and less than the price of XT and a lot lighter.

PS; Also mineral oil for the latest generation for those who don't like handling DoT fluid

Edited by DieselnDust

Got my formula Cura's for <R5k. There wasn't stock of the SRAM Guide G2 at the time but the Formula brakes have been a revelation. They are superb and less than the price of XT and a lot lighter.

PS; Also mineral oil for the latest generation for those who don't like handling DoT fluid

Normal Shimano mineral oil ?

(Have stock ... )

IMO for affordable aftermarket brakes in this order

Cura

Shimano SLX/XT

Putting my Vans in the wheel

TRP Slate. These are the crappest brakes on planet earth.

Some would say Deore is even better than XT/SLX.

Edit: Late to the party, I see someone else already mentioned it. 

The cheaper Deore lever apparently don't suffer from the wandering bite point like the XT/XTRs do.

Edited by stefmeister

The Deore brakes aren't trying to be light and at the same pretend to handle more heat without an impact on performance. They're heavy and simple and therefore reliable. The Deore handles heat very well and don't suffer fade, i.e. perfect for an Enduro or DH type build.

If you have hem on your XC bike they're probably the last item you'd want to upgrade.

At some point they will give up and you'll be better off buying a whole new brake set for the fron tor rear or an upgrade for both

The Deore brakes aren't trying to be light and at the same pretend to handle more heat without an impact on performance. They're heavy and simple and therefore reliable. The Deore handles heat very well and don't suffer fade, i.e. perfect for an Enduro or DH type build.

If you have hem on your XC bike they're probably the last item you'd want to upgrade.

At some point they will give up and you'll be better off buying a whole new brake set for the fron tor rear or an upgrade for both

The lack of serviceability is disappointing but that said, I have a set of 2013 SLX brakes that still work pretty well  most of the time...