Brake Upgrade

Go up a rotor size. It will make a difference in heat dissipation to help out brake fade and also improve stopping power. 

I eventually went with 4 piston brakes to better suit my riding style but the 2 piston/bigger rotor combo really worked well.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, 

Would it make sense to go 200mm front and back or just 180mm back and 200mm front?

Go up a rotor size. It will make a difference in heat dissipation to help out brake fade and also improve stopping power. 

I eventually went with 4 piston brakes to better suit my riding style but the 2 piston/bigger rotor combo really worked well.  

Thanks, 

Would it make sense to go 200mm front and back or just 180mm back and 200mm front?

200 front and rear is overkill unless you are really heavy and ride hard. I am 105kg, and I use 180mm front and rear with Formula Cura 4s on very steep trails (I'm not the fastest rider, but I am by no means slow when a trail points down), and that is more than enough power and modulation. 

For reference, I am finding Cura 4s with 2x180mm rotors more effective than Shimano XTs or Cura 2s with 2x203mm rotors. As with anything, look at the whole system, not just parts in isolation. Going up a rotor size is a cheaper way of getting more stopping power than a whole new brake set though....

Thanks, 

You front brake handles about 70% to 80% of your braking so a 180mm at the back is just fine. 

Thanks for this, it makes sense, 

I am also slightly heavier than that, so I can relate to your feedback and the brake options, definitely an option I will consider as the Cura 4 looks like good value and got a number of votes. 

Also just need better stopping power, will never be a downhill ninja, so more to be more comfortable when it is steeper and my beer belly starts gaining momentum.  :w00t:

200 front and rear is overkill unless you are really heavy and ride hard. I am 105kg, and I use 180mm front and rear with Formula Cura 4s on very steep trails (I'm not the fastest rider, but I am by no means slow when a trail points down), and that is more than enough power and modulation. 

For reference, I am finding Cura 4s with 2x180mm rotors more effective than Shimano XTs or Cura 2s with 2x203mm rotors. As with anything, look at the whole system, not just parts in isolation. Going up a rotor size is a cheaper way of getting more stopping power than a whole new brake set though....

Web page? google does not show me anything for Cyclein?

Speak to Eugene at Cycleinn and get the Cura 2's. We use them for enduro and they are insane for the price. You cant go wrong!

Bigger brakes isn't just about the power, it is about control. It gives you the ability to brake later, harder, and faster for corners and offers better modulation for those technical descents. Also less brake fade.

Control is everything. 

Move your 180mm rotor to the rear wheel and then try a 203mm rotor up front, either way if it doesn't help your issue then it will still help if you end up doing a full brake upgrade, but you may get off with a much lighter bill...

Thanks, 

your fork may not be able to handle a 200mm rotor unless its a Lyrik or FOX 36 or bigger.

Sinec your bike came with 180/160 I doubt the fork is able to deal with a 200mm rotor

That's then very impressive. If you found that the XT's to be so much less impressive then I also want a set  :clap:

If you want rotors to try I have 3x 200mm rotors here with me which I have no use for. You can have them, just cover the shipping  :thumbup:

Went from Shimano XT to Cura. No contest best brakes i have used

I am not convinced that going from 180mm to 200mm is going to make a massive difference. I would keep the 180mm in the front and change the rear to 180mm as well and then I would go for XT, XO or even XX. Those won't break the bank

I am not convinced that going from 180mm to 200mm is going to make a massive difference. I would keep the 180mm in the front and change the rear to 180mm as well and then I would go for XT, XO or even XX. Those won't break the bank

For the money Curas are a million times better than XT. I was running XT on the one bike, Cura 2 on the other and quite honestly there is no comparison to be made. So much so that I got rid of the XT and got a set of Cura 4s for the other bike.

As for Sram, they no longer make XO and XX brakes... It is now Guide, G2, Code, etc. If money was not an object I would get Sram G2 brakes. By all accounts close to power of the Codes but with better modulation. I am not speaking from experience though, just what I have heard from others that have used both. 

My xtr 985 (2014 ish) outperform my 2020 sram level ultimate setup any day of the week.

The ultimate groupset imo is Shimano brakes and sram asx gears.

Sram are great but lack the knock-out performance of xtr.

Hi all, 

So after spending a month in CT and doing some trails I decided the one thing, or the first thing I want to upgrade on my bike is the brakes. 

I currently have a Titan Cypher 120.

The reason for the upgrade is currently I am on the heavy side so decent brakes makes sense. 

Any suggestion as to a decent brake upgrade that I can and should look at?

For your use case there's no reason to spend above and beyond Shimano Deore (best value for money brakeset IMO).

Rather spend the leftover funds on other upgrades.

I haven't read or done scientific tests but I highly doubt there is more braking power between Shimano brakesets, if you keep the number of pistons the same. There's a difference in look, feel and weight (different materials used), but the braking power difference would probably be placebo, or negligible at best.