Where to buy Shimano online?

Alastair_S1D

Ever since Shimano clamped down on the online stores selling their stuff its obviously become increasingly difficult to find Shimano stuff. And unfortunately south African stores seem intent on selling Shimano stuff for insane prices. So with that in mind where can we buy Shimano stuff these days. Going through eBay / alieexpress doesn't seem viable as most of the sellers don't have everything you want. So you would have to go through multiple sellers which means shipping starts to add up very quickly.

So what does one do?

Ever since Shimano clamped down on the online stores selling their stuff its obviously become increasingly difficult to find Shimano stuff. And unfortunately south African stores seem intent on selling Shimano stuff for insane prices. So with that in mind where can we buy Shimano stuff these days. Going through eBay / alieexpress doesn't seem viable as most of the sellers don't have everything you want. So you would have to go through multiple sellers which means shipping starts to add up very quickly.

So what does one do?

No-one you know overseas that can forward stuff on to you?

Alternatively, try Aramex Global Shopper. You pay fee for an international delivery address (the local aramex forwarder) your package gets delivered there, and sent to your local address.

I have not used this, but that's the principle.

summitbikes.co.za

Depends on what you are looking for, Cassette and drivetrain components are very well priced.
Alternatively: evobikes do have some stock.
Stock is a large issue.

summitbikes.co.za

Depends on what you are looking for, Cassette and drivetrain components are very well priced.

Alternatively: evobikes do have some stock.

Stock is a large issue.

no 2X stuff for SLX 7100/ XT 8100 or XTR9100. No R8000 hoods.

have you tried amazon?

Anyone have feed back on what it's like ordering from Amazon recently. See they are now quoting with shipping and SA import duties. Do the items come in via SAPO or stay with a courier all the way into SA?

So what does one do?

It would be interesting to see what will happen if someone with a bit of time  can have this anti competitive behavior investigated by the competition authorities . 

No-one you know overseas that can forward stuff on to you?

Alternatively, try Aramex Global Shopper. You pay fee for an international delivery address (the local aramex forwarder) your package gets delivered there, and sent to your local address.

I have not used this, but that's the principle.

Aramex are K@K

It would be interesting to see what will happen if someone with a bit of time can have this anti competitive behavior investigated by the competition authorities .

it would be nice.

I mean I know local distributors need to survive. But it's a bit hard to support local when something as basic as Ultegra hoods which are arguably a consumable because they are a grip/contact point and they wear out, aren't even available and my LBS has to special order them.

I heard from a few shop owners that online shops that CRC and other popular online stores were selling their stuff at prices even cheaper than what LBSs were getting them from the distributor for. So obviously LBSs couldn't compete. But instead of just making it fair for LBSs by making prices more reasonable they just blocked online sales. It all sounds very anti competitive and just unfair on the consumer as we no longer have a choice on where we want to purchase from. And it's not just Shimano but looks to be SRAM group too as all the online stores I normally by from also have a note on checkout on rockshox that reads "due to legal restrictions cannot ship to your contry" or something along those lines. While I love cycling as a sport I am really getting sour when it comes to being a consumer in the cycling industry.

On another topic.

Anyone know where one can purchase a giant XTC advanced framset? Or if the Advanced 3 is coming into South Africa? (not the SL)

Edited by Alastair_S1D

it would be nice.

I mean I know local distributors need to survive. But it's a bit hard to support local when something as basic as Ultegra hoods which are arguably a consumable because they are a grip/contact point and they wear out, aren't even available and my LBS has to special order them.

I heard from a few shop owners that online shops that CRC and other popular online stores were selling their stuff at prices even cheaper than what LBSs were getting them from the distributor for. So obviously LBSs couldn't compete. But instead of just making it fair for LBSs by making prices more reasonable they just blocked online sales. It all sounds very anti competitive and just unfair on the consumer as we no longer have a choice on where we want to purchase from. And it's not just Shimano but looks to be SRAM group too as all the online stores I normally by from also have a note on checkout on rockshox that reads "due to legal restrictions cannot ship to your contry" or something along those lines. While I love cycling as a sport I am really getting sour when it comes to being a consumer in the cycling industry.

On another topic.

Anyone know where one can purchase a giant XTC advanced framset? Or if the Advanced 3 is coming into South Africa? (not the SL)

I'm sorry if I come across rude. It's not aimed at you specifically.

Stock is a global issue.

If you haven't adjusted your perspective yet, best to do so now.

The geo locking is also pretty standard. SRAM sell to Cape Cycle System, so they want to keep their flow of custom. The UK post Brexit is also being geo locked for certain things, Aus/NZ is Geo Locked for certain bike products too.

With that, everyone is struggling. Buy them from your LBS on special order, buy 2 sets. We all need to change the way we see commerce. Plan better, buy spares if you can.

Learn patience. This stock shortage isn't going to come right this year and maybe not even next year.

Some tire companies have stopped taking orders until the tail end of 2022 so they can catch up on back supply. 

Rubber is scarce, so it is costing more to buy the raw materials too.

The sooner we all realise that anything which involves a production line, relies on a supply chain and shipping is going to be in very low supply for a while, the less we can all stop whining about it like spoiled brats

It's a reality we need to learn to live with, whether we like it or not. Understanding that it isn't better on other sides of the pond also makes that easier.

I'm sorry if I come across rude. It's not aimed at you specifically.

Stock is a global issue.

If you haven't adjusted your perspective yet, best to do so now.

The geo locking is also pretty standard. SRAM sell to Cape Cycle System, so they want to keep their flow of custom. The UK post Brexit is also being geo locked for certain things, Aus/NZ is Geo Locked for certain bike products too.

With that, everyone is struggling. Buy them from your LBS on special order, buy 2 sets. We all need to change the way we see commerce. Plan better, buy spares if you can.

Learn patience. This stock shortage isn't going to come right this year and maybe not even next year.

Some tire companies have stopped taking orders until the tail end of 2022 so they can catch up on back supply. 

Rubber is scarce, so it is costing more to buy the raw materials too.

The sooner we all realise that anything which involves a production line, relies on a supply chain and shipping is going to be in very low supply for a while, the less we can all stop whining about it like spoiled brats

It's a reality we need to learn to live with, whether we like it or not. Understanding that it isn't better on other sides of the pond also makes that easier.

Everyone panic buying spares they may or may not need in the future is not really the answer from an overall efficiency perspective. I would actually worsen the problem with stockpiling (ie. the fake toiletpaper panic of march 2020).

Shimano and SRAM only coming through the official channels works, if those channels are working well. If they're not, then it's a jungle out there and every man for himself! 

long term I don't see region exclusivity agreements working like they do now. Cycling is a global business and the sooner it moves to global warranties the better for all involved. Coolheat and CCS clearly got their eye on this happening, they will need to adjust to the changes or we will all find a way to get stock at cheaper prices through other channels, no matter how it is regulated..

Everyone panic buying spares they may or may not need in the future is not really the answer from an overall efficiency perspective. I would actually worsen the problem with stockpiling (ie. the fake toiletpaper panic of march 2020).

Shimano and SRAM only coming through the official channels works, if those channels are working well. If they're not, then it's a jungle out there and every man for himself! 

long term I don't see region exclusivity agreements working like they do now. Cycling is a global business and the sooner it moves to global warranties the better for all involved. Coolheat and CCS clearly got their eye on this happening, they will need to adjust to the changes or we will all find a way to get stock at cheaper prices through other channels, no matter how it is regulated..

hahaha lets not be silly and speak in extremes. If you need sti hoods, buy them on special order. If you are worried you won't be able to get again, buy 2 sets. Don't buy 29 sets. Or do and sell them, as you said, every man for themselves!

Cool Heat/Shimano has been pretty rubbish for a long time. CCS have offered a fantastic service in comparison. If we 'go global' then will the local warranty departments become obsolete? 

Global warranty means it gets shipped back to it's creator, then inspected and evaluated. Part of the problem being discussed is speed of service and turn around. That is expensive and will not be resolved quickly in a lot of cases. 

The number of 'My fork has been away for a warranty claim for 3 months' threads that will pop up here on the whinge train will be insane!  :ph34r:

hahaha lets not be silly and speak in extremes. If you need sti hoods, buy them on special order. If you are worried you won't be able to get again, buy 2 sets. Don't buy 29 sets. Or do and sell them, as you said, every man for themselves!

Cool Heat/Shimano has been pretty rubbish for a long time. CCS have offered a fantastic service in comparison. If we 'go global' then will the local warranty departments become obsolete? 

Global warranty means it gets shipped back to it's creator, then inspected and evaluated. Part of the problem being discussed is speed of service and turn around. That is expensive and will not be resolved quickly in a lot of cases. 

The number of 'My fork has been away for a warranty claim for 3 months' threads that will pop up here on the whinge train will be insane!  :ph34r:

the answer is we all need an n+1 so we have something to ride whilst we wait for stock of the item we ordered.  :whistling: