27cm Road Handlebars - Narrow might soon be better?

shaper

Dan Bigham's 27cm road handlebars

Bigham has caused a stir after a photo emerged of the Ribble-Weldtite rider racing in Denmark this past weekend using extremely narrow handlebars with the levers at an extreme angle.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/new-uci-regs-challenge-accepted-dan-bighams-27-cm-road-handlebars/

I can't see it catching on, but I do think there are a lot of people out there riding wider than necessary sacrificing both aero and comfort. I have 40s, with the hoods angled inwards, and I know I could comfortably go narrower maybe with a bit of flare on the drops.

Too wide and I have found my shoulders are not stacked nicely above the elbow and wrist and my arms feel splayed out. 

There was an article on Slowtwitch by Dan Empfield were he suggested gravel like bars to be used. Reference to Enve and FSA making aero gravel bars that is perfect for road cycle and used Victor Campenearts as an example, not above extreme, but you can see the difference.

There was an article on Slowtwitch by Dan Empfield were he suggested gravel like bars to be used. Reference to Enve and FSA making aero gravel bars that is perfect for road cycle and used Victor Campenearts as an example, not above extreme, but you can see the difference.

Much to the dismay of some 'purists' there are a LOT of flared drops being used in the pro peleton already.

I'm with Sid, I ride 400's. Not sure I would want to go narrower but riding my gravel bike (with 440 c2c on the hoods and a small amount of drop flare) after a few days on the roadie and I feel like I have wings and that my hands are miles away from where they should be. 

Narrower has always been 'better' in terms of aero and racing. It's nothing knew. The track guys have been racing micro bars since forever.

I'd hate to see a peleton of 270 bars getting down a mountain at 75-95kph...... I do know some of the smaller guys are riding 360's, which isn't THAT far off!

Much to the dismay of some 'purists' there are a LOT of flared drops being used in the pro peleton already.

I'm with Sid, I ride 400's. Not sure I would want to go narrower but riding my gravel bike (with 440 c2c on the hoods and a small amount of drop flare) after a few days on the roadie and I feel like I have wings and that my hands are miles away from where they should be.

Narrower has always been 'better' in terms of aero and racing. It's nothing knew. The track guys have been racing micro bars since forever.

I'd hate to see a peleton of 270 bars getting down a mountain at 75-95kph...... I do know some of the smaller guys are riding 360's, which isn't THAT far off!

Also using 400. The 270 does not look comfortable.

Victor in front of the bunch setting tempo, looks aero, but have not seen the decending.

Maybe short bars for flat race in places like Belgium where not much descending and getting aero for the wind, more normal bars for the mountains.  

I do think flared bars might become more common on road bikes, but not as narrow as 27cm

I personally don't care how narrow they are, however, flared bars should be banned.

HAHAHAHA

I was waiting for this exact comment from you!  :clap:

Flared bars....... we going back to the 30's now, pre derailleur period. 420 at the drops are great for me.

All road bars have a slight flare anyway, especially the carbon bars of generally 10mm over the 125mm drop i.e. 400mm at the tops and 420 at the drops. This is mostly for comfort so the wrists clear the top bend when holding on in the drops. Gravel bikes bars should stay on gravel/winter training bikes