Upgrading from 160mm rotors

RJClegg

42 minutes ago, RJClegg said:

I had my weight at the back when trying to lock up the front wheel. But yeah, that is a sure way to be OTB. 

Locking up the front usually won't result in an OTB because the braking force actually reduces when the wheel locks. It's more likely that the wheel slides out to the side and you land on your shoulder and/or face.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

In my experience: If your brakes start to make a noise you most likely have a caliper leak. You will find that if you remove the pads now again that they'll be shinny all over again. Put the bike on the stand an inspect the piston when pulling the lever. Be sure to remove the pads and add a block before conducting the experiment ????

Thanks, will double check. But they only started to squeel once I poured water on them during the bedding in process. 

I will check if they are shiny already. I hope not. Did not see any leaks when I installed them. Will check the rotors as well. Cleaned them with brake cleaner, might need a bit of sanding.

I'm sorry but surely chucking cold water on hot rotors (discs in english) are a sure way to make them warp?

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

I'm sorry but surely chucking cold water on hot rotors (discs in english) are a sure way to make them warp?

Doesn't sound like anywhere in the thread his rotors got even close to hot enough for that to happen.

3 minutes ago, ouzo said:

It would take the rotors being much, much hotter for that to happen. Like dragging them for over 1km, kinda hot I would think. 

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I don't think that is being suggested. Start with cold and wet rotors when bedding in.