Making a DH bike not so crap at peddling ?

Stavros94

8 minutes ago, thebob said:

the answer is in the video. He not even once talks about pedalling the bike other than this: 

at 10:30of that video ???? 

ill quote:
" at enduro races the name of the game is not to get to the top of the hill as quick as possible.....top guys at the enduro races walk up 2000ft climbs to conserve energy" 

so no...they didn't get it right lol. it's not a trail bike...its an enduro bike built out of a DH bike...and still sucks going up hill

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A DH bike is always going to be horrible to pedal. You can fit a dropper and change the gearing but it's made to go down the hill well. Nothing is going to change that,

You have 4 options here.

1. Go to the shuttle days at Hells end etc

2. make friends with a guy with a bakkie. Shuttle with him

3. Buy your own bakkie. Use it to shuttle and watch your friends slowly destroy it

4. Save up 30k a year and take your DH bike to the Alps and ride it in the environment it was built for.

Don't sell it. They are worth nothing 2nd hand and they are such fun things to ride when the conditions are right. I have a DH bike that I ride MAYBE 6 times a year.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

i am merely stating it because the question the topic raises relates to how one can make a DH bike less crap going uphill or even flat for that matter.   So basically how can you use a DH bike as a trail bike as stated.

Not a "DH bike makes a better enduro bike because it rips better going downhill". - what that video is ACTUALLY about

DH bikes could have been balance bikes for that matter...thats how unsuited they are at putting power down.  

Edited by MORNE

18 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

A DH bike is always going to be horrible to pedal. You can fit a dropper and change the gearing but it's made to go down the hill well. Nothing is going to change that,

You have 4 options here.

1. Go to the shuttle days at Hells end etc

2. make friends with a guy with a bakkie. Shuttle with him

3. Buy your own bakkie. Use it to shuttle and watch your friends slowly destroy it

4. Save up 30k a year and take your DH bike to the Alps and ride it in the environment it was built for.

Don't sell it. They are worth nothing 2nd hand and they are such fun things to ride when the conditions are right. I have a DH bike that I ride MAYBE 6 times a year.

6 x a year ... is that when you are riding on the cycle lanes :P

16 minutes ago, MORNE said:

i am merely stating it because the question the topic raises relates to how one can make a DH bike less crap going uphill or even flat for that matter.   So basically how can you use a DH bike as a trail bike as stated.

Not a "DH bike makes a better enduro bike because it rips better going downhill". - what that video is ACTUALLY about

DH bikes could have been balance bikes for that matter...thats how unsuited they are at putting power down.  

Mr Minnnnn can put down power on his DH bike and out climb a TDF rider with it too ... just because he is Mr Minnnn

Edited by Hairy on a Davidson

1 minute ago, Hairy on a Davidson said:

Mr Minnnnn can put down power on his DH bike and out climb a TDF rider with it too ... just because he is Mr Minnnn

imagine what he's capable of on something that can actually really pedal uphill.

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

imagine what he's capable of on something that can actually really pedal uphill.

Do not try and break the internet with a statement like that please

Maybe a better question than "can I make a DH bike be less crap at pedaling", is "can I make an XC bike shred downhill?"

I guess there's few things you can do to make your XC bike more shreddable - short stem, wide bars, dropper post, riser bars, longer travel fork, rad full face downhill helmet with stickers on it, knee pads, saying stuff like "gnarly", and "full send" when riding...

Proper technique will probably also get your further than the perfect bike in terms of kief shredding though, but no technique will make a DH good at pedaling.

But the best thing you do to a XC bike would be to fit a downhill fork to it, and then fiddle with the rebound until the travel changes and the lowers don't hit the crown.

Edited by Mountain Bru
Shpelling

14 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

..... is "can I make an XC bike shred downhill?"
snip

2020-Santa-Cruz-Tallboy-D-Aluminum.jpg

On 7/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, Styvie said:

Is it at all possible to take a Middle Age DH bike and make it not so crap at going uphill ?... maybe uphill is too much .. small incline and flats? That better ? ????

so recently discovered some new logging contours and tracks near my place .. took the gravel bike ???? bit rough for it  to put it plainly.. had a think about a trail /enduro bike ???? way too much mandalas for  a weekend toy.

then I thought DH bikes are cheap... but they can’t climb but surely that can be changed ? 

different gearing ?

lock out on the rear shock ? 

weight isn’t really an issue for me as I’m no racer just looking for something to mess around on the logging tracks and trails. 

**** idea ? I do love a challenge .. plus DH bikes look sick.. so that’s at least 20 points Already ?????

An interesting question to which the answer is; Sell and buy a trail bike