What kind of event would you enter?

DonatelloOnPinarello

3 hours ago, matthieup said:

But you won't die, just like the flu that is here every year, or gastro season etc...

100% ... which just like those, spreads easily in a stage environment. So pretty NB to decrease medical load and risk. Plus it may mean general hygiene is enforced more for 'that guy' in their dusty, sweaty, ballsack bibs and dirt in the dining hall. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I definitely won't be doing the stage race thing again. 

But I might just do a Cape Cross credit card adventure. And will continue the Weekend with Friends in a place with trails. 

And I've done Piket-Bo-Berg's open weekends twice. Swiped for that entry without batting an eyelid. 

The Maxi Race Recce runs are lekker. 400zars gets you a lekker course, a limited field, some goodies, lunch and medics on standby for if a pawpaw accidentally steps into a fan. 

The Gone2Gone runs are also lekker. A gpx route, a month to do it, a board at the shop door for a post-run selfie, followed by g2g special at the coffee shop next door. Mahala entry. Won't line an event organizer's pocket, but it creates a lot of traction for the brand. 

And I'll probably do an enduro event again. Because racing friends in strava just doesn't bring down the red mist like the timing pod's beeping. 

5 hours ago, matthieup said:

But you won't die, just like the flu that is here every year, or gastro season etc...

And now we know why Matt stopped this BS ....

PLEASE go spend one day in an ICU .... my friends working in these are at the point of burn out .....  

friend of mine was in ICU over the weekend and she had already had her first jab. Another pal of mine has had it three times, the last time he contracted the latest strain from a client who felt ill and came to the practice anyway. He said it was an easier ride each time so the only real immunity is actually getting Covid and surviving. That's that where the challenge lies.

However no one knows at this point how effective the vaccine will be. Europe opening up is essentially a huge medical experiment

7 hours ago, Tomik said:

I still do smaller events - my favourite was a 20-man 3 day gravel "race" in the Overberg last year - stayed at hotels. Many people can still afford that (and want it, especially in winter!). That event this year will be 50-100 people. Will still be rad. I think these niche events will flourish as people want to ride with mates or like-minded people. 

But also overnight touring is so easy these days it makes some events redundant. A tiny backpack and a credit card is all one needs really. And some cash for those little dorpies is useful.

7 hours ago, Sydd said:

We have thoroughly enjoyed the events in Gauteng where you are supplied with a GPX file and set off when you are ready, and get some jelly babies and a naartjie at the waterpoints. Most of the events we have done have been on district or open gravel roads so they are re-useable and great for future training rides. I love riding new routes! 

49 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Well I definitely won't be doing the stage race thing again. 

But I might just do a Cape Cross credit card adventure. And will continue the Weekend with Friends in a place with trails. 

@DonatelloOnPinarello This is my whole point from the other thread. There really is a market for gravel tours. Many of us are already doing these kind of "events" ourselves, and having to go through the "effort" of finding cool routes and places to stay. There's no medic. There's probably very little support or mechanics. All you need a credit card and some basic bike mechanic skills somewhere in the group.

Maybe as a "big event organizer", this doesn't seem very lucrative and there's too much admin with medics and support or whatever. But my idea isn't that big event organizers should be creating these events and trying to milk the cycling community, it's that guest house/campsite/lodge owners should be organizing smaller event/challenges as a way to get traffic through their accommodation.

Like if your income comes from getting people to stay at your place, then pre-organized gravel events are a great way to get more customers. Like if 3 places teamed up, made a cool route in the area, and then sold accommodation packages and gave people GPX files of the route, they could possibly get a lot of traffic. And without all the overheads of a "big event", a 3 day tour cost like R700 a day rather than R3000 a day like most stage races. The point though is that you're marketing your accommodation as part of gravel tour to maximize profits on your accommodation, not trying to make money off an event.

Edited by Mountain Bru

17 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

..snip...

...how much of a premium/surcharge would you be willing to pay to still be able to do your favourite 3 day stage race? 

We support the typical one day fun rides on farms.  The typical event supporting local charities.

The vibe before the event ...

Obviously the RIDE .... especially riding areas normally not accessible to the public ...

The "kermis" after the ride, braai and beer tent .... just a lekka time with like minded people.....

Then the real clincher .... taking the wife with, knowing she enjoys the kermis and is safe while we are out riding.  LOTS of family members remain at the kermis ....

All things considered.

The VIBE is why we do these events, the ride just being a part of the day out.

Short term - I would happily pay the typical event fee, even at a premium, to ride and support the local charities.  But not taking the family along, it just be the same ....

Longer term (probably 2 years time) - looking forward to the VIBE.

Stage races .... I actually entered one days before the lockdown .... but even here the clincher was one where the family could come along.  Ironically I got sidelined by a knee, and spent both days at the gathering point.  LOTS of families !!!  Clearly our approach has a larger following than I originally thought.

But this is not compatible with our current situation.

4 minutes ago, Mountain Bru said:

@DonatelloOnPinarello This is my whole point from the other thread. There really is a market for gravel tours. Many of us are already doing these kind of "events" ourselves, and having to go through the "effort" of finding cool routes and places to stay. There's no medic. There's probably very little support or mechanics. All you need a credit card and some basic bike mechanic skills somewhere in the group.

Maybe as a "big event organizer", this doesn't seem very lucrative and there's too much admin with medics and support or whatever. But my idea isn't that big event organizers should be creating these events and trying to milk the cycling community, it's that guest house/campsite/lodge owners should be organizing smaller event/challenges as a way to get traffic through their accommodation.

Like if your income comes from getting people to stay at your place, then pre-organized gravel events are a great way to get more customers. Like if 3 places teamed up, made a cool route in the area, and then sold accommodation packages and gave people GPX files of the route, they could possibly get a lot of traffic. And without all the overheads of a "big event", a 3 day tour cost like R700 a day rather than R3000 a day like most stage races. 

This may be a very nice extra for LekkeSlaap ....

I certainly am always looking for cycling opportunities when selecting our next holiday spot

11 hours ago, DonatelloOnPinarello said:

Wether people like it or not, accept it or not, this is the only way forward. But we are so woefully behind the rest of the world in terms of vaccine rollout, it’s going to be at least another 18 months before this becomes a reality here. By the time they have vaccinated the 35 and under fully, it will have been too long since the oldies got their jabs, and the immunity will be waning, so we are going to be stuck in a perpetual cycle of catch up

I would like to be more positive about the "catch up" cycle.

Companies like Sanlam/Santam is showing how easy it is to vaccinate their staff .... when there is stock of the vaccine.

Stock issues is a worldwide issue, consistantly getting better.

Getting a booster shot will be as easy as getting a flu shot, and we should get there by mid next year.

29 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

PLEASE go spend one day in an ICU .... my friends working in these are at the point of burn out .....  

I think that was the point Matthieu was making in his post. 

Basically, people in the events industry have to be inventive and also be open to failing.

No one is going to get it 100% right 1st time, but IMHO they are all sitting back waiting for someone else to come up with a successful blue print and copy it.

Remote events also likely mean more 'work' with less profit, but does open the opportunity to do 'more' events as they aren't fully manned. 

I still maintain that the biggest issue with moving forward are the cyclists. How many still haven't embraced dropper posts, look at how 'Enduro' is still struggling to gain a significant foothold? XCO struggles to get numbers..... But every over priced XCM/stage race has a waiting list 6 pages long. 

The mind shift in how bikes (especially mountain bikes) can be ridden and enjoyed is something that needs prodding in SA.

The road scene is a different beast and the racing there is beyond me. My experience is okes throwing gel packets on the floor, snot rockets to the face, lots of angry shouting about lines and wheels and then getting dropped. Road races are way cooler on a BMX......

as mentioned on a few occasions before, I hear what everbody is saying that “screw events blah blah go ride with your buddies blah blah”. I don’t consider myself a racing snake or anything. i enjoy events purely from a standpoint that i mainly ride alone  and these are all opportunities for me to enjoy the chosen routes 100% worry free. 

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

snip

I still maintain that the biggest issue with moving forward are the cyclists. How many still haven't embraced dropper posts, look at how 'Enduro' is still struggling to gain a significant foothold? XCO struggles to get numbers..... But every over priced XCM/stage race has a waiting list 6 pages long. 

The mind shift in how bikes (especially mountain bikes) can be ridden and enjoyed is something that needs prodding in SA.

This becomes apparent on any given weekend at the Hoogekraal skills park, and places like Banhoek, Plaisir de Merle, and to a lesser degree Jonkers etc. where you see riders simply ride straight past the obstacles on offer. I have been frequenting these trails this year, and I can confidently say that each weekend its the same bunch of people riding these trails, to the extent that we "know" each other and have chats at the parks.

As long as people will continue to ride past any form of obstacle designed and put there to improve skills, then all we're ever likely to see are XCM type of events, which I cannot think of anything more boring. Enduro does not have the foothold it needs because people are too scared to upskill themselves.

I was one such guy, but I took the leap and started riding places like the Hoogekraal Skills Park and slowly but surely my skills have improved. Am I the next Sam Hill? No, but I can hold my own out on the trails and I do not get easily flustered by the odd gap, drop, jump, rock garden etc. etc. 

What has this meant to my trail enjoyment? I would ride Jonkershoek and go straight for Neverending Story. Now I ride Jonkers and I go for Fire Hut, Red Phoenix, Armageddon and I am working myself to Plumber soon. And on these trails 9/10 I hit the A-line.

Poeple need to let go of fear, and start enjoy their rides more.

18 hours ago, ChrisF said:

i understand the frustration with people who are just totally over it and more nonchalant. i really am. But it swings both ways i’m affraid. over emotional comments like these are also tiring to read the whole time. dont care for them anymore.

#just saying. not picking a fight.

44 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Basically, people in the events industry have to be inventive and also be open to failing.

No one is going to get it 100% right 1st time, but IMHO they are all sitting back waiting for someone else to come up with a successful blue print and copy it.

Remote events also likely mean more 'work' with less profit, but does open the opportunity to do 'more' events as they aren't fully manned. 

The road scene is a different beast and the racing there is beyond me. My experience is okes throwing gel packets on the floor, snot rockets to the face, lots of angry shouting about lines and wheels and then getting dropped. Road races are way cooler on a BMX......

And a perfect example is RCS Sox trail running event. They eventually didn't get permission to run through the nature reserve (that was selling permits to large groups of hikers campers and other) so they had an alternative in place that was maybe less exciting but they could still deliver a product to their paid up customers. Double the work but I'd be happy to support them in future as I know they've dug deep into their suitcase of courage to find a solution.