Merlin Cycles

Elvis

26 minutes ago, MajG said:

Just checking which shipping option to choose?

Screenshot_20211007-071802_Chrome.jpg

Change your delivery country to SA and then the options will be displayed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MajG said:

Just checking which shipping option to choose?

Screenshot_20211007-071802_Chrome.jpg

yea if you are sending it to SA you need to change your delivery country

obviously ????

it will show a DHL express option 1-2 business days around R450 ish

Edited by MORNE

37 minutes ago, MORNE said:

yea if you are sending it to SA you need to change your delivery country

obviously ????

it will show a DHL express option 1-2 business days around R450 ish

My dumb @ss early in the morning lol

Saw now DHL express 30pounds

Thanks

Just now, MajG said:

My dumb @ss early in the morning lol

Saw now DHL express 30pounds

Thanks

change the currancy to rands too????

On 9/8/2021 at 8:32 AM, MORNE said:

If you dont have an import license, make sure total value is under R50k and that this is not the 4th or more time you bring something in using your ID number this calendar year...although this is not as clearcut always. (but i wouldn't take a chance when I have that amount of money in an order) Otherwise SARS might take notice and fine you.  

I have done 4 orders from the overseas this year, so have to wait until next year (or piggy back off someone else)

5 minutes ago, splat said:

I have done 4 orders from the overseas this year, so have to wait until next year (or piggy back off someone else)

i feel there's a touch of HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE in this part of the message LOL

15 minutes ago, splat said:

I think its worth the 'risk' if it's not a high value item in the sense that they probably fine you (if they even bother) based on a % of the value of the shipment? not sure.  Maybe they check 50k vs 4 and if you aren't close to 50k they let it slide?. I don't think they'll nail you 5k for importing a 2k item I mean lol. 

You can always get the rest of the family in on it haha. I used to use my wife's 4 as well....just gave my number so when DHL phoned for n ID I handed her the phone and told her to give them her ID number hhaha.

Edited by MORNE

10 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I think its worth the 'risk' if it's not a high value item in the sense that they probably fine you (if they even bother) based on a % of the value of the shipment? not sure.  Maybe they check 50k vs 4 and if you aren't close to 50k they let it slide?. I don't think they'll nail you 5k for importing a 2k item I mean lol. 

You can always get the rest of the family in on it haha. I used to use my wife's 4 as well....just gave my number so when DHL phoned for n ID I handed her the phone and told her to give them her ID number hhaha.

I am more scared of my wife than SARS. Even though I buy her stuff too...

40 minutes ago, splat said:

34 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

i feel there's a touch of HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE in this part of the message LOL

Why does this forum not have a group buy/import thread? Done this so many times on other forums in the past.

So many times I need just one item at around R400, but then have to load a cart to R4000 just to make the shipping/clearing fees worthwhile. 

10 minutes ago, stefmeister said:

Why does this forum not have a group buy/import thread? Done this so many times on other forums in the past.

So many times I need just one item at around R400, but then have to load a cart to R4000 just to make the shipping/clearing fees worthwhile. 

I know there was 1 on the Chinese Carbon Thread, Mostly just see guys asking in a new topic if anyone is bringing stuff in etc

If there was perhaps a Cape Town group order brewing, I have one item that I am interested in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 9:28 AM, MORNE said:

Here are my last few orders from Merlin:

R1480 tax (R6430 rand value order - only bike parts ) thats roughly 23% total. 

R800 tax (R3320 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 24% total

R1130 tax (R4720 Rand value order - only bike parts ) roughly 24% total. 

R3744 tax (R16250 Rand value order - only bike parts) roughly 23%

use it, dont use it.  

dhl.jpg

Hello Morne,

Can you remember at what point you got the mail from DHL to pay the VAT and Import Fees?  Is it only after the package landed in SA or before it arrives? (to speed up clearance on this side)

I have an order that is (presumably) waiting for customs clearance in the UK.  It's been sitting at Heathrow since Sunday, hoping that it clears soon and makes a flight to SA.

Edited by houghtonp

3 hours ago, houghtonp said:

Hello Morne,

Can you remember at what point you got the mail from DHL to pay the VAT and Import Fees?  Is it only after the package landed in SA or before it arrives? (to speed up clearance on this side)

I have an order that is (presumably) waiting for customs clearance in the UK.  It's been sitting at Heathrow since Sunday, hoping that it clears soon and makes a flight to SA.

https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/tracking.html#/results?id=7787356146

I landed 2 different shipments from Merlin recently,  1 day after payment and release to dhl,  did they share customs documents and amount to be paid.

I would say with 24hr to 48hrs from time dhl collects the package, will they reach out to u about customs and payment. Max 72hrs worse case

Definitely before to arrives in SA will u need to pay

15 hours ago, houghtonp said:

Hello Morne,

https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/tracking.html#/results?id=7787356146

They usually phone you before it hits SA, usually when it gets scanned/inspected that side and the info is generated. They always phone me from the same number:

DHL Express Customs jhb:

(011) 923-0398

After they phone you and get your ID and confirm your mail they’ll send you a link to where you can pay online.

i’ve missed their calls before, just phone that number back…give them the waybill and they are usually very helpful.