12 Speed: Mixing SRAM and Shimano Components

M L

41 minutes ago, eala said:

I disagree .Sunrace work as well as any other and i have XX1 ,XO1 and imo they work better than GX .Use a quality chain with Sunrace and they last just as long

I don't agree, I had a 11sp Sunrace for a while, the shifting is not nearly in the same class as my current Shimano and that thing weigh a "ton".

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also dont agree. Shifting is rubbish on mine. One specific gear that i just cant get to stop making a slight click noise never mind what I do. 

Shifting is ok at best. 

8 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I’ll be ordering from garbaruk shortly - happy to combine some orders as I have done many times in the past 

a garbaruk cassette in my opinion is on par with XX1 for less money - that said the most I have done on one is 5000km before selling the bike 

Mr Pudding please let me know. I see they have some delays still but it will be worth the wait. 

13 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Mr Pudding please let me know. I see they have some delays still but it will be worth the wait. 

Same here, happy to do joint order, keep us posted please.

Edited by TheoG

4 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Also dont agree. Shifting is rubbish on mine. One specific gear that i just cant get to stop making a slight click noise never mind what I do. 

Shifting is ok at best. 

I am not so sensitive to bike noises .As long as i can get it into gear by the second try and it stays there ,i am happy .My eagle XX1 and XO1 also arn,t perfect all the time .I have an AXS system also and that works very well 

I am running shimano 12spd slx groupset , my one wheelset has microspline with shimane slx 12spd cassette and my other have xd drive with e-thirteen Helix R cassette, shifting is much smoother with e-thirteen. The e-thriteen wheelset also work perfect with sram, shifting smooth,

On 10/28/2021 at 2:37 PM, copperhead said:

Wait what.... a cassette a year??? A cassette every 2 months and a chain every month. Chain 300 and cassette probably 1500. 

Please explain to me my best options for this. I run 11 speed. I don't care much for ratios but right now it is 11-40  and a 32 front. Would like to go 34 front. My money goes as fast as my equipment here. What would be your suggestion please? I do not ride in the rain or wet. But there might be some dust now and again. And I am very VERY meticulous about clean and lubed drive train. Thank you. 

Replace your chain before 0.5% and your cassette and chainring should last indefinitely.

At 1000 hours a year, a chain a month isn't ridiculous, but if you're fully degreasing your chain every wash you need to make sure that the chain is properly dry inside before lubing, and that you put enough lube on and spin the chain for long enough to get the lubricant to penetrate all the way to the pins before the solvent evaporates if you're using a wax lube. It's also best to do this all the night before so it gets a chance to dry before you ride - wax lube doesn't work very well with solvent in it.

5 hours ago, droo said:

Replace your chain before 0.5% and your cassette and chainring should last indefinitely.

At 1000 hours a year, a chain a month isn't ridiculous, but if you're fully degreasing your chain every wash you need to make sure that the chain is properly dry inside before lubing, and that you put enough lube on and spin the chain for long enough to get the lubricant to penetrate all the way to the pins before the solvent evaporates if you're using a wax lube. It's also best to do this all the night before so it gets a chance to dry before you ride - wax lube doesn't work very well with solvent in it.

Please expand on the first part. I’ve had a theory that a cassette should ladt at least 2-3 chains. Indefinitely is definitely intriguing. 

1 hour ago, copperhead said:

All this is part of my schedule already. My chain gets cleaned without any liquids. I keep my stuff away from liquids. Thanks for the message. I guess this is my life!

Air cleaning has never proved to be very effective…..

nitrogen cleaning has some shrinkage challenges …

the enlightened use helium cleaning 

or do you use lifebouy

????

Edited by DieselnDust

18 hours ago, M L said:

Please expand on the first part. I’ve had a theory that a cassette should ladt at least 2-3 chains. Indefinitely is definitely intriguing. 

When a chain is new, its pitch is exactly 1/2", which matches the pitch of the sprockets. This distributes the load evenly over the teeth, which causes even and minimal wear on the teeth.

As a chain wears, it elongates, and no longer matches the pitch of the sprockets. This makes it ride up on the teeth, and also concentrates the wear on the first tooth, then a bit less over the second, and so on. This not only wears the sprockets unevenly, but also at a much faster rate because of the increased load seen by the teeth.

If you replace the chain in time this wear remains even over the entire sprocket, and depending on the material it's made out of it can last for many years. I've seen steel SRAM cassettes last over 5 years of 6 - 8 hours a week.

Further reading, with pictures, here.

5 minutes ago, copperhead said:

The problem lies within the manufacturers of stuff. If they made parts of cassettes available then that would work. The smallest 2 or 3 gears are the ones that need replacing. The rest are fine. But nooooo they won't do that. Full cassette. It someone made this option available then I would use their product. Unless you know a fix to this problem? 

Its called "wife's bike"????

Will a Sram GX AXS upgrade work on a SLX 12sp cassette I wonder?

I ask as I expect to have limited thumb mobility after losing the end to a powertool. Currently using the shifter is a no-no, but will the easier  clicky-click of AXS aid in riding capability. Seems like a great expense, but if it get me back on the trails, I see it as miniscule

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

I ask as I expect to have limited thumb mobility after losing the end to a powertool. Currently using the shifter is a no-no, but will the easier  clicky-click of AXS aid in riding capability. Seems like a great expense, but if it get me back on the trails, I see it as miniscule

yes and yes. I use AXS on a XT cassette and it works better than my old XTR derailer/shifter. And the clicky thing is much easier to operate than a lever you have to push far in. BUT it's kind of counter intuitive at first, I swapped the settings around a couple of times before settling for the default setting (bottom click = easier / top click or index click = harder)

6 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

You might also consider this, much cheaper than AXS and it works very well:

https://archercomponents.com/

On 11/8/2021 at 11:26 AM, copperhead said:

The problem lies within the manufacturers of stuff. If they made parts of cassettes available then that would work. The smallest 2 or 3 gears are the ones that need replacing. The rest are fine. But nooooo they won't do that. Full cassette. It someone made this option available then I would use their product. Unless you know a fix to this problem? 

Long time ago the casettes were like that, but held together with rivets. We use to grind the rivets of and remove it and then we could replace a single gear/cog. But back then thats what the technology allowed and it were heaver. Now the tech have evolved, casettes are lighter and "one piece". 

The industry answered with lighter casettes because that is what was asked - not single cogs you can replace seperately. But maybe there is a market for that. I just think it will be more expensive and people who work on their own bikes who dont have the proper experience, will f#$k it up. 

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

yes and yes. I use AXS on a XT cassette and it works better than my old XTR derailer/shifter. And the clicky thing is much easier to operate than a lever you have to push far in. BUT it's kind of counter intuitive at first, I swapped the settings around a couple of times before settling for the default setting (bottom click = easier / top click or index click = harder)

thanks. that's really good news . a bit of googling would have answered my question, but hubber feedback is most helpful.