12 Speed: Mixing SRAM and Shimano Components

M L

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, M L said:

Since it's almost Friday I'll just leave these articles/videos here.

Article mixing various Shimano/SRAM components: https://www.bebikes.com/the-hub/1mmtdv5ypu0vc1p4kze6r05wtxvufp

This guy literally just swapped out his SRAM RD for a Shimano one - using a SRAM shifter.  

been saying this for the better part of the last year. Thanks for the internet evidence

Since the microspline freehub isn't available for my wheels I'm very tempted to go this route and run a SRAM cassette on my XTR derailleur. 

Alternative is importing a Garbaruk cassette 

10 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Since the microspline freehub isn't available for my wheels I'm very tempted to go this route and run a SRAM cassette on my XTR derailleur. 

the shifting may feel slower when the chain has a bit of wear on it. Those upshift ramps to the smaller sprockets really does help so IMO the better mixed set up is SRAM derailleur and shimano cassette. Bt if you ride as often as I do then its a cassette per year vs one every 3-4 years with SRAM XO1

23 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

If you do decide to go Garbaruk, please let me know, I also want to order a cassette, maybe we can combine and share the shipping cost.  I simply love their products, best quality and not as expensive as top Sram & Shimano.

23 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

the shifting may feel slower when the chain has a bit of wear on it. Those upshift ramps to the smaller sprockets really does help so IMO the better mixed set up is SRAM derailleur and shimano cassette. Bt if you ride as often as I do then its a cassette per year vs one every 3-4 years with SRAM XO1

Can only be better than using a Sunrace cassette. 

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Do.it.

1 hour ago, copperhead said:

Wait what.... a cassette a year??? A cassette every 2 months and a chain every month. Chain 300 and cassette probably 1500. 

Please explain to me my best options for this. I run 11 speed. I don't care much for ratios but right now it is 11-40  and a 32 front. Would like to go 34 front. My money goes as fast as my equipment here. What would be your suggestion please? I do not ride in the rain or wet. But there might be some dust now and again. And I am very VERY meticulous about clean and lubed drive train. Thank you. 

wait what

Cassette every 2months and chain every month?

Ive got so much questions

1 hour ago, YaseenEnos said:

wait what

Cassette every 2months and chain every month?

Ive got so much questions

Haha, he is closing in on 1000 hours on the bike for the year, that's how..

59 minutes ago, JohanDiv said:

Haha, he is closing in on 1000 hours on the bike for the year, that's how..

i though i was having a good year, just on 420 hrs and easily going through the 500 by december

I’m on 415hrs for the year so far , usually up at about 600 to 700 per year.

copper, for your kinda mileage I’d recommend an xx1 chain on your cassette.  Reduced chain wear means reduced sprocket wear.

try that

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I’m on 415hrs for the year so far , usually up at about 600 to 700 per year.

copper, for your kinda mileage I’d recommend an xx1 chain on your cassette.  Reduced chain wear means reduced sprocket wear.

try that

Great comparison on chain longevity in the article below. It seems X01 and XX1 pretty much the same. My go to is x01 for your very reason. ????

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

27 minutes ago, Cunning-Stunt said:

Great comparison on chain longevity in the article below. It seems X01 and XX1 pretty much the same. My go to is x01 for your very reason. ????

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/the-best-bicycle-chain-durability-and-efficiency-tested/

Thansk for the article. Much of the data aligns with my own comparisons with the only difference being that I saw the XX1 to outlast the XO1 by nearly twice as far, 6000km+ vs 3000km+_. My sample size was much smaller and I've decided the small price difference isn't worth buying the lower tier XO1.

12 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

I’ll be ordering from garbaruk shortly - happy to combine some orders as I have done many times in the past 

a garbaruk cassette in my opinion is on par with XX1 for less money - that said the most I have done on one is 5000km before selling the bike 

18 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Can only be better than using a Sunrace cassette. 

I disagree .Sunrace work as well as any other and i have XX1 ,XO1 and imo they work better than GX .Use a quality chain with Sunrace and they last just as long

Edited by eala