Giro D'Italia 2024: Chirps, Buzz and Updates

'Dale

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I don't think many people would begrudge him that. TdF winner with a bit of an asterisk, but he smudged that with a podium finish last year.

His collection from The Tour includes all three steps of the podium.

🥇 2018
🥈 2019
🥉 2022

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a finalè yesterday. Beautiful racing.

Sepp Kuss, incredible support for Roglič. Cycling is a team sport after all. Excellent damage control by team Jumbo-Visma.

Eddie Dunbar - achievement of the day.

Almeida - most aggressive rider

Gee - might’ve been a career defining attack. Will he retire or be given the option at WorldTour level to continue? 37 years old and what a classy professional.

Chapeau to Ben Healy who is inspiring me to ride my bike at this point in time.

IMG_0956.jpeg

Almeida Looking good, I reckon the old Dog GT will have his hands full with the youngest! Maybe it will be the TT that defines the final podium? This Giro is still up for grabs, I mean anybody can slip on a bottle between now and the rods to Rome. The Jumbo wasn’t all the bees knees yesterday but it’s did fantastic damage control. I reckon Sep could lead a team, he really has a good engine. I wonder if the team will look back and say we shouldn’t have played a waiting game of just  2 seconds to the Pink jersey? 🤔

Pity Cav hasn’t got any lead out guys, not many sprinters to contest the sprint today. I was very surprised how Milan got washed away! 😳

39 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

What a story this is... From last on Sunday to 1st today... Wow...

20230524_200841.jpg

You implying next August you'll be with Sid in the break?

10 minutes ago, babse said:

You implying next August you'll be with Sid in the break?

I didn't come last this year or else it would've been a possibility next year 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Or perhaps in actual August on a coffee training ride if I bump into Dan and nobody else knows we racing..(closest I'll get LMK)

A little higher than Everest, today and tomorrow... 3978 + 5053 = 9031m, plus Saturday's Climb Trial elevation of 1030m.

In golf, moving day is Saturday (day 3). Given that Sunday is a precession, is moving day still Saturday's Climb Trial, or anyone else think time gaps will be made today/tomorrow?

image.png.65f1382d06f033125094bd271b7350c7.png

image.png.ff148e6e232ee25d9e998a50028cf11f.png

What is the name of this iconic trophy?

1. Trofeo Senza Fine
  2. Trofeo Rosa
  3. Trofeo Eterno
  4. Trofeo Spirale

Giro d'Italia 2021: the Pink Race for the Endless Trophy | Visititaly.eu

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

What is the name of this iconic trophy?

1. Trofeo Senza Fine
  2. Trofeo Rosa
  3. Trofeo Eterno
  4. Trofeo Spirale

Giro d'Italia 2021: the Pink Race for the Endless Trophy | Visititaly.eu

I see what you did there… (2-4)

If you finish and your are classed as No1, your hands no doubt will be on the Trophy with no end. To be honest this beats the TDF hands down in design! It’s a beautiful piece from a nation who has style. But you will take it home?

Loved how yesterday was basically De Plus Vs Kuss vs Vine, with the leaders hanging on mostly. Is Roglic still slightly off his best or have G and Almeida just stepped up? Hoping that the looming TT does not damper the action today, there are no comfortable gaps in the top 3.

7 hours ago, betaboy said:

I see what you did there… (2-4)

If you finish and your are classed as No1, your hands no doubt will be on the Trophy with no end. To be honest this beats the TDF hands down in design! It’s a beautiful piece from a nation who has style. But you will take it home?

The question comes from GCN+, and the answer is A.

Senza Fine = endless.

Here’s something about the best trophy in Cycling; excluding the cobblestone.

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/rouleur-it/il-trofeo-del-giro-ditalia-uno-sguardo-allinterno-della-fabbrica

English translation below

GIRO D'ITALIA 2023: HOW DID THE ENDLESS TROPHY COME ABOUT?

From issue 19.3, Andy McGrath and Paolo Ciaberta have interviewed the producer of the Endless Trophy.

On a sparkling December morning in Vigodarzere, a village on the outskirts of Padua, in the north-east of Italy, we enter Penello Mario's laboratory. Here the trophy of the Giro d'Italia has been produced since 1999, when Fabrizio Galli won a competition organized by the Italian Copper Institute to design a new one.

"That project was done on the computer," recalls Luca Penello, Mario's son, who runs the company. "But at first trying to make it was not easy, the costs were not particularly reasonable. But after trying and trying again, we succeeded."

It takes a month to make the Endless Trophy. A copper bar is rounded, then shaped with a bending machine and subjected to a first polishing. Next, it is heat treated and twisted into a recognizable spiral shape. Then it is cut to size, the base is added, and the trophy is polished again. Finally, entries from past winners are added with the laser and the trophy is sandblasted.

“The hardest part of the process is modeling the trophy and engraving the names. Once you're stuck in that spiral, you have to be very careful with any finishing," Luca explains.

Screenshot_2022-04-23_at_12.41.32_1024x1A torture device or a cycling trophy in preparation? “It looks a bit like one of those,” he agrees. “We need all of these metal pegs to support the copper and give a particular shape.”

Screenshot_2022-04-23_at_12.41.46_1024x1

Once completed, the Endless Trophy is 54 centimetres tall and weighs 9.5 kilograms. The company also creates the trophies for the Milano-Sanremo, the Milano-Torino, the Strade Bianche and the famous trident of the Tirreno-Adriatico.

Screenshot_2022-04-23_at_12.41.11_1024x1Luca's work doesn't stop when this beauty plated with 18 carat gold leaves his atelier. Since the 2017 Giro, Penello has been present at the finish of the race to personally engrave the winner's name on the trophy.

Passionate Sunday cyclist, who travels 4,000 kilometers every year, this work is a special joy for Penello: "It is a great honor for me to make a trophy like this, so important, so famous, so rich in history".

Edited by Frosty