N3TC Meals on Wheels

MudLark

We were informed by our cycling club that the longer (±110km) race will no longer go through the reserve. They are reverting to the older/previous route. I do not see anything about that change on their website.

image.jpeg.0fcebb1195688f23384e73c46e8c4cca.jpeg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/10/2024 at 9:36 PM, Jaco Steyn said:

We were informed by our cycling club that the longer (±110km) race will no longer go through the reserve. They are reverting to the older/previous route. I do not see anything about that change on their website.

image.jpeg.0fcebb1195688f23384e73c46e8c4cca.jpeg

Your cycling club is wrong, got a message that we will riding through Suikerbosrand 

On our club ride yesterday, we saw “cycle race in progress” signs on the old route.

Can confirm it went through the reserve. Never ridden in such windy conditions before. A properly tough day out on the bike 

Edited by thebob

4 hours ago, thebob said:

Can confirm it went through the reserve. Never ridden in such windy conditions before. A properly tough day out on the bike 

I NEARLY died. No power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily I had my Garmin XC power pedals with MTB shoes, since I walked many a hill 

Turned back towards the start after SBR and again a bit of luck with the NW providing a cross tailwind.

19 hours ago, thebob said:

It was properly hot and breezy on Sunday, I briefly discussed the race with a fellow club rider whilst we were out on our ride and the consensus what that we were happy to not have ridden it.

I entered the 53km race, and by the end of the day I was very glad I did that. I pitied those out on the long route with that absolutely terrible wind. I still suffered even though it was the sorter route, a 53km ride should have been an easy 1:45 - 1:50 for my level of cycling, but only managed to do it in 2:05.

On 10/12/2024 at 6:32 AM, Chadvdw67 said:

Your cycling club is wrong, got a message that we will riding through Suikerbosrand 

Our cycling club communicated the information which was correct at that specific time. I spoke to some of the event organisers before the race on Sunday, and they told me that the permit authorising the route to go through the SBR reserve only came through Friday afternoon. They have given up hope of getting a permit and put their alternative route plans in place before that, but eventually they could continue with their original planned route. 

1 hour ago, Jaco Steyn said:

Unfortunately there was a fatality at the race due to bizarre and very tragic circumstances. Information in the attached newspaper article. 

f2034016-00e2-4900-a40b-8724c1f995b7.jpeg

tragic, some of the down hill sections in SBR can be sketchy, I imagine coming down some of them with a tight bend and then finding an ambulance in your way all of a sudden can be rather dangerous.

Guys unfortunately this accident was not an isolated event. While the tragic loss of Lhungile had strange components to it with the Ambulance, the unmarked fast descents and blind corners with no warning signs on sharp corners, damaged road surfaces and broken barriers were bound to cause serious accidents. I myself came off on the same corner at that race, about 45 minutes before and luckily enough was seen by someone and taken back to the start by a super helpful pro-team car. 

It is not acceptable to have routes confirmed at the 11th hour and then have to cut corners on the road markings and put people's lives at risk. 

I was one of at least 3 people that day that came off that same corner. 1 died, one's femur was snapped through the skin and I myself who came away some lucky scrapes and soft tissue damage.  Only to find out at the finish line (when many saw my state) that at least 2 other people had come down on that route in the previous month while on training rides. 

These organisers need to commit to better preparation on the side of health and safety. On a very minor but related note, while being treated by the medic at the finish line, she went and rubbed Deep Heat/Cool ice on my open wounds after cleaning...I went through the roof!!?! How does one go about getting an organiser to step up on this front-  

20241013_103115.jpg

10 hours ago, CST said:

On a very minor but related note, while being treated by the medic at the finish line, she went and rubbed Deep Heat/Cool ice on my open wounds after cleaning...I went through the roof!!?! 

What was that about?  Did you ask her?  She likes to torture or was there a cool reason for her to do that?  (see what I did there??!!)

Glad you are okay bud.

With road cycling, there will always be some sort of danger and one needs to ALWAYS think for yourself because organisers don't always think and many have not ridden a bicycle in 50 years. 

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

What was that about?  Did you ask her?  She likes to torture or was there a cool reason for her to do that?  (see what I did there??!!)

Glad you are okay bud.

With road cycling, there will always be some sort of danger and one needs to ALWAYS think for yourself because organisers don't always think and many have not ridden a bicycle in 50 years. 

Maybe it was his wife 😶 - Jokes aside - Most people who ride SBR don't realise how dangerous it is, and assume being a one way they can barrel throught the blind corners at speed and not encounter any hazards. Lots of people have had some serious encounters over the years

A numbr of years back a mate of ours had a head on with one of the official bakkies driving up in the wrong direction - He spent 11 weeks in ICU and it was touch and go at one point if he would pull through - Official investigation found the driver not guilty as the official vehicles are allowed to drive in any direction in the reserve - Crazy !!

Yeah, I don't think I'll be back again for this event again. Riding those roads with big trucks, taxis and some real cowboys on bicyles is not an incentive to come back

6 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

With road cycling, there will always be some sort of danger and one needs to ALWAYS think for yourself because some organisers don't always think and many have not ridden/raced a bicycle in 50 years. 

Given that we no longer organise a race, we don’t have to be feel offended being bundled with “all” organisers. 😊