ON AVERAGE, WHAT DO YOU SPEND ON:

Cycling Jersey

Bib short

Im doing some market research on cycling apparel, the reason for this is, I love riding with nice fitting & high quality gear, but these do come at a price.

I just received a order from a major brand and to be honest, it was disappointing because i paid a premium for this item and expected great quality from them, so i want to see if there is a price range that my fellow cyclists are willing to pay for epic quality, a realistic price point.

Im on a mission to see if a solution is possible to make great quality gear accessible to most riders.

I think gear /kit is relevant to each one individually . I have shorts and jerseys from the 80's that are still perfect but outdated because of material and styles used ( I still use them ) .  Three  years ago i  imported some jerseys from China (landed cost R200 ) . Shorts i bought 2 pairs from Decathlon ( R190 ) . and still use them today . I recently bought a rain jacket with pockets (R600 ) and have had a view rides in our latest ( Gauteng down pours ) and stayed dry as bone except for my legs Im not a weekend slogger but ride every day road or mtb doing 1200 km plus per month so the kit gets well used and washed often . 

@First V8 thanks for you comment, I appreciate it. Yeah, im on the same page, i have gear that will probably start falling off while I ride.

Seeing that you ride a bit more than the average person, what would you saybwould be a good price range to look at, for kit that is on the premium side?

26 minutes ago, copperhead said:

I have many assos bibs from over the years. I like a nice pair of baggies over that. I just ride in t-shirts now. Shoes are my current problem. 

@copperhead thanks for your input, assos are insane, love them.

What would you say is a good price for good quality gear. Assos is a ultra premium brand, but what is a good starting point for the person who vant spend 3-4k on bibs?

And also price point for cycling jerseys?

Jerseys last forever. I have 2 First Ascent Pro Elite shorts that I rotate. They are 3 years old and do about 4-8 hours per week between them on the mtb and road bike. Anything over R1200 for shorts is way too much in my view. 

I like good quality bibs that fit well.

Preferred brands are Assos, Santini, Castelli ... especially when top tier was still around R3k and you could get some on sale for a bit less.

Now that entry bibs are around that price means thinking twice.

Not too bothered about brands when it comes to tops. They just need to fit with suitable storage.

@copperhead 

30 minutes ago, copperhead said:

It is pretty much impossible to answer this. You buy assos they last forever so in my book they are not expensive. You buy 3 cheapies to last one assos. Same same but different. Always buy the best you can afford. That is my rule. Once you have a budget search your options. Buy the one you like not the one you everyone tells 

thanks again, im with you on this, it does help to figure out a good point to start.

24 minutes ago, Thomo said:

I like good quality bibs that fit well.

Preferred brands are Assos, Santini, Castelli ... especially when top tier was still around R3k and you could get some on sale for a bit less.

Now that entry bibs are around that price means thinking twice.

Not too bothered about brands when it comes to tops. They just need to fit with suitable storage.

Exactly, that is where im at, looking for a solution to cater for the guy want a preferred brand quality but at a better price.

Thanks for your input,it helps.

27 minutes ago, Titleist said:

Jerseys last forever. I have 2 First Ascent Pro Elite shorts that I rotate. They are 3 years old and do about 4-8 hours per week between them on the mtb and road bike. Anything over R1200 for shorts is way too much in my view. 

Im with you, those Pro Elite shorts a great.

I appreciate your info,its going to help a lot.

16 hours ago, MrGeldenhuys said:

ON AVERAGE, WHAT DO YOU SPEND ON:

Cycling Jersey

Bib short

Im doing some market research on cycling apparel, the reason for this is, I love riding with nice fitting & high quality gear, but these do come at a price.

I just received a order from a major brand and to be honest, it was disappointing because i paid a premium for this item and expected great quality from them, so i want to see if there is a price range that my fellow cyclists are willing to pay for epic quality, a realistic price point.

Im on a mission to see if a solution is possible to make great quality gear accessible to most riders.

I generally buy a selected few items from selected brands. Having tried a bunch of brands in the past, I found those that I really like, and most importantly provides a great level of comfort. 

I feel I spent more money trying new brands than just sticking to what works. Most of my cycling apparel is Assos, for someone who does a lot of riding they last the longest in my opinion and remain comfortable. 

Recently received a Vye Thermal jacket as a present and for the listed price it's an amazing jacket. My first pick would probably be to remain with Assos, and a bit reluctant to sway for the above mentioned reason, but then again I was pleasantly surprised by the Vye jacket. Would likely support a local brand if the quality and comfort is there. 

5 minutes ago, Dappere said:

I generally buy a selected few items from selected brands. Having tried a bunch of brands in the past, I found those that I really like, and most importantly provides a great level of comfort. 

I feel I spent more money trying new brands than just sticking to what works. Most of my cycling apparel is Assos, for someone who does a lot of riding they last the longest in my opinion and remain comfortable. 

Recently received a Vye Thermal jacket as a present and for the listed price it's an amazing jacket. My first pick would probably be to remain with Assos, and a bit reluctant to sway for the above mentioned reason, but then again I was pleasantly surprised by the Vye jacket. Would likely support a local brand if the quality and comfort is there. 

Thanks @Dappere,I appreciate your feedback, it helps in trying to bridge tha gap.

I would love if everyone could ride using a assos kind of quality and this helps.

Iv been sourcing and looking at different manufacturers for a while now to bring a product that is close to the quality of assos but with a better price tag to market, as you can imagine, this is not a easy task.

Thanks again man