Dura Ace R9100-P

Carbon Cycling Gear

Hi All 

just looking for some advice please 

I have a Dura Ace R9100-P dual power meter , that recently just stopped working , picks up on E-tube and Garmin but doesn’t read any power or cadence, it has the latest software 

the PM has been to cool heat - I will reserve my comment about them 

if there anyone in the Cape Town area that can look at it for me?

Silly question - has the magnet come off the frame?

If not check the cable on the left crank - you have to be super careful when you tighten the tensioning screw and place the cable.

I dont own a R9100-P but would have thought power meter technology has moved over to using internal gyroscopes for cadence calculation. Therefore magnets are no longer required. Just find it interesting if the R9100-P does require a magnet.

2 hours ago, warick_wrx said:

I dont own a R9100-P but would have thought power meter technology has moved over to using internal gyroscopes for cadence calculation. Therefore magnets are no longer required. Just find it interesting if the R9100-P does require a magnet.

From DC Rainmaker:

Next, I should note again the magnet is indeed required according to Shimano.  As I showed in the installation, you do need to place a magnet on the frame for the unit to determine everything from power to cadence.  Without it, no luck (or love).  In this day and age, I’m not entirely sure I get that approach.  Sure, 10 years ago that was commonplace.  But sorta like film, it’s mostly out of style these days.  Accelerometers are used, and virtually every power meter on the market today is more than good enough both on and off-road with such technology (for pros and normal people like us alike).

The more I hear about Cool Heat and IRO my recent dealings with them and one of their agents the more I think it's time the winds of change blew into town. Yes it's difficult to get stock of some items at present due to the fallout from Covid, but to not give a hoot is optional....I've always had great service from Cape Cycles in stark contrast...

Sounds like my Giant dual sided PM. Also stopped working for no apparent reason. Pretty certain it's going to cost a fortune to replace, so have come ot the conclusion I may need to purchase some pedals. 

Sorry to hear about your hassles.Unfortunately the problems with the dura ace 9100 Pm are well documented.

Unfortunately shimano backup in SA is non existent and even in an event that they would warranty anything (which they rarely do) they would tell you they don’t have stock.

CWC should of been given that agency years ago.

Anyway holding thumbs you come right

2 hours ago, stringbean said:

Sorry to hear about your hassles.Unfortunately the problems with the dura ace 9100 Pm are well documented.

Unfortunately shimano backup in SA is non existent and even in an event that they would warranty anything (which they rarely do) they would tell you they don’t have stock.

CWC should of been given that agency years ago.

Anyway holding thumbs you come right

true^^

5 minutes ago, obree said:

I have Infocranks on my Road bike, Track bike and my indoor trainer bike, all have worked without problem for over 3 years now, and probably cost less that 1 Dura ace PM.

Greetings Ob's, hope you are keeping well 👍

20 hours ago, Eldron said:

Silly question - has the magnet come off the frame?

If not check the cable on the left crank - you have to be super careful when you tighten the tensioning screw and place the cable.

Both checked and are fine , there is no data that reads from the PM

9 hours ago, Eldron said:

From DC Rainmaker:

Next, I should note again the magnet is indeed required according to Shimano.  As I showed in the installation, you do need to place a magnet on the frame for the unit to determine everything from power to cadence.  Without it, no luck (or love).  In this day and age, I’m not entirely sure I get that approach.  Sure, 10 years ago that was commonplace.  But sorta like film, it’s mostly out of style these days.  Accelerometers are used, and virtually every power meter on the market today is more than good enough both on and off-road with such technology (for pros and normal people like us alike).

Exactly magnet technology on a 20k PM 

note that this PM is just over 2 years old