Absolute black chainrings

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe ParagonTech is the local distributor ... perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

https://www.paragontech.co.za/

I have a lightly used inner 36T that I may be selling ... compatible with latest Ultegra/DA.

Edited by Thomo

2 hours ago, alexwasyliszyn@gmail.com said:

Hubbers please help me locate oval chainrings for a road bike in SA much appreciated in advanced 

Where are you located?

If it's to go oval, I'd say don't. I've used AB and Csixx and neither of them last. I've gone back to believing that the earth is indeed - round. If you're in JHB/Pta, Lynnwood Cycelry used to keep most of the Srsm 1x's....

Edited by love2fly
Edit add

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

oval for road....

yuck

I destroyed my dura ace chainring so I thought I'd replace them with absolute black to give them a try. More for looks really lol so you reckon oval for mtb then?

4 hours ago, Thomo said:

I believe ParagonTech is the local distributor ... perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

https://www.paragontech.co.za/

I have a lightly used inner 36T that I may be selling ... compatible with latest Ultegra/DA.

Awesome thanks man I did see them just wasn't sure if they'd have but will give them a scan

24 minutes ago, alexwasyliszyn@gmail.com said:

I destroyed my dura ace chainring so I thought I'd replace them with absolute black to give them a try. More for looks really lol so you reckon oval for mtb then?

oval for nothing. No benefit and they shift like crap.  With the Shimano cranks you don't have many aftermarket chainrings that integrate with the design of the crank. I'd opt for the AB round rings rather if they make something that doesn't require dubious marketing claims

11 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

oval for nothing. No benefit and they shift like crap.  With the Shimano cranks you don't have many aftermarket chainrings that integrate with the design of the crank. I'd opt for the AB round rings rather if they make something that doesn't require dubious marketing claims

Yeah I have actually found the round ones as well as the oval at evobikes so I think I will just go for the round ones unless anybody else can change my mind

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I used Rotor ovals on my 10sp Shimano and they integrated fine. Think it was 104BCD 5 bolt. You have to buy male/female crank bolts. Shifting between inner and outer is probably 90% as good as OEM. Rear shifting unaffected. Don't waste your money on ovals..  after riding them for 3 years I prefer round.

6 minutes ago, alexwasyliszyn@gmail.com said:

Yeah I have actually found the round ones as well as the oval at evobikes so I think I will just go for the round ones unless anybody else can change my mind

YES!! The 'oval vs round' debate! As timeless as the wheelsize debate, disc brake vs rim brake roadie debate and my favourite, the 'all you really need is a rigid SS' vs dual suss debate!

Cue the anecdotal pseudo science replies!

Day made........... 

Edited by Jewbacca

On 12/15/2021 at 5:32 PM, Jewbacca said:

YES!! The 'oval vs round' debate! As timeless as the wheelsize debate, disc brake vs rim brake roadie debate and my favourite, the 'all you really need is a rigid SS' vs dual suss debate!

Cue the anecdotal pseudo science replies!

Day made........... 

Wheelsize not really a debate anymore, think there was a clear winner on that one... 😜