Budget beginner - 2 options

datanalyst

Hi. I am looking to get a bike that will allow me to cycle on bike paths in a gated estate (Waterfall) with my 18 month old son on a Feva bicycle seat and also to use to teach my wife to ride a bike - she has never ridden a bike. I do not plan on riding it anywhere else and if the bug does bite I am happy to start from scratch on something upgradeable, hydro brakes, etc. I have looked through the forum's at the advice already given on other posts.

The options I am looking at are:

New Avalanche Reflex 3 26er - the bike shop tells me I will be a M for R4800. Given the mixed bag of advice around Avalanche I suspect going for anything cheaper might be laughable.

Second hand Trek 3900 from someone selling on the community groups - image attached which I am told is stock, no changes, and in good condition. Have agreed to take it to the bike shop to assess size, condition, etc before purchase for R2500. An internet search on the model suggests it is a good bike but quite old? But Trek does seem to have a good reputation.

I am very happy to consider anything else new or second hand for under R5k if anyone has any suggestions. Again, I am very aware of the limitations of something at this price point, but please assume it will never be ridden anywhere but on the paths and trails in an estate which are very relaxed and to teach my wife who has never ridden a bike before. And I am happy to pay what I need on top of that for a helmet, shorts, etc.

Thanks very much in advance!

Screenshot_20220105-085139_Telegram.jpg

I'm not going to comment on the bikes, but if you are going to be teaching your wife to ride make sure the bike is the right size for her. She will be scared enough just trying to balance on 2 wheels without the added issues of a bike thats to large or to small. 

It doesnt have to be the perfect fit, but it does need atleast be close.

Agreed with @ouzo size will be very important, secondly I see you're based in Midrand, your welcome to send me a dm as I am in Garsfontein and have around 10 x 26er frames as well as enough spares to build her one for under the R5k mark. We can chat details off line if you so chooses 

Ah yes. Didn't think that size might be different. We'll take her to the bike shop to check. But an internet search suggests that we would both use the same frame - we are both short with similar heights.

How do these options look? The lack of comment on the bikes I have listed earlier makes me think I am wasting my money even for purely casual use?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/523370/giant-bike

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/523379/26-titan-hades-mountain-bike

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/522075/gt-avalanche-30

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/520198/titan-24-mountain-bike

4 minutes ago, datanalyst said:

Ah yes. Didn't think that size might be different. We'll take her to the bike shop to check. But an internet search suggests that we would both use the same frame - we are both short with similar heights.

How do these options look? The lack of comment on the bikes I have listed earlier makes me think I am wasting my money even for purely casual use?

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/523370/giant-bike

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/523379/26-titan-hades-mountain-bike

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/522075/gt-avalanche-30

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/520198/titan-24-mountain-bike

both those Titans are 24"frames, unless you're the height of a 10 year old it will be to small for you

Did not look at the others. Only reason I looked at the Titans is that I'm bike shopping for my 11 year old

Few random thoughts ...

1. Consider using Bike Hub Pay, it provides significant safety for the buyer and seller.

2. Have a look at the sizing charts on the various manufacturers websites.  These are GENERAL sizing charts ... should be okay for the purposes you describe.  If you really get into cycling you may want a proper size and correct fit ... whole different topic.

3.  Merida, Titan, Signal, Avalance, etc are all perfect for your use.  First two are even good for going into the trails.

4.  26" vs 29" ... 26" have fallen by the way side, and is now very cheap ... which offers you a cheaper option to test the waters.   Your next bike will most likely be a 29".  You may even find a good second hand 27,5" (650b) bike.

5. Start looking at helmets ....  shoes, etc should not be an issue while circling the estate.

6. Tubless or even Sludge in tubes .... if there any thorns this may be your first upgrade ...

7.  If you buy second hand .... get a local bike shop (LBS) or a friend to check the chain, gears and bearings.  Replacing a stuffed drive system could cost a pretty penny.   Frankly this is more important at this price point than the name on the frame.

8. Buy the one that "looks good" to you.  You will ride the one that puts a smile on your dial .... for some this is in the lines of the bike, for others it may be the colour ....  (as long as the previous three items are okay)

ENJOY

46 minutes ago, datanalyst said:

Haha wow sorry about that! As you can see I am pretty clueless... 🙃

I think you would be best off chatting to someone reputable who won't try to take you for a ride.

At your price range I wouldn't even look at a suspension fork, I'd just look at a cruiser and try get a decent shifter and rear derailleur.

Take @RobertWhitehead up on his offer - he's a well respected guy around here and he'd be able to give you good advice.

• 2 months later...

Hi another newbie here. I am super clueless . Looks like Google recommends I get a cross over bike because I want to ride on the road to work and jump pavements etc. Seems like a Mountain Bike would be a cheaper option than a crossover? 

I am 1.8m tall. I won't use the bike a lot. It will come to work with me and go home with me. Once in a blue moon I might join some friends on some trails. Unlikely that I do that soon because I have a newborn.

• Is this bike (Cyclocross bike) too much for what I'm looking for? Is it too much bike for me?
  • Is this bike more what I'm looking for?

I have no idea whether a Rock Shox Dart 2 is useles or not? I have no idea what crankset I need? Can anyone give me tips on what I'm looking for? The bike info isn't uniform across the ads. Otherwise is there someone near CT that I should be talking to? My budget is below R10k I'd like to get a bike that's about R5k if I won't end up at my Local bike shop paying hand over fist for the next 5 years.

I appreciate any help. 

32 minutes ago, Paperboy said:

Hi another newbie here. I am super clueless . Looks like Google recommends I get a cross over bike because I want to ride on the road to work and jump pavements etc. Seems like a Mountain Bike would be a cheaper option than a crossover? 

I am 1.8m tall. I won't use the bike a lot. It will come to work with me and go home with me. Once in a blue moon I might join some friends on some trails. Unlikely that I do that soon because I have a newborn.

• Is this bike (Cyclocross bike) too much for what I'm looking for? Is it too much bike for me?
  • Is this bike more what I'm looking for?

I have no idea whether a Rock Shox Dart 2 is useles or not? I have no idea what crankset I need? Can anyone give me tips on what I'm looking for? The bike info isn't uniform across the ads. Otherwise is there someone near CT that I should be talking to? My budget is below R10k I'd like to get a bike that's about R5k if I won't end up at my Local bike shop paying hand over fist for the next 5 years.

I appreciate any help. 

Welcome to the Bike Hub, and to cycling as a lifestyle.

These are two totally different bikes.

BOTH may be good (or bad) for YOUR commute.  Also consider what else you may want to do with the bike ..... maybe do a few trail rides over the weekend ?  Or is Chappies and the tar road more your style ?

For MY commuter I specifically went for a "hard tail MTB" (like the Avalanche), for a couple of reasons:

- around here the shoulder of the road is bad, so that front shock really helps !

- the larger volume tires also help for the bad roads

That said, many gravel bike owners just smile and ride these conditions on their rigid bikes (like the (gravel grinder add)

If trails are an option, then the hardtail certainly makes more sense.

If you see yourself doing lots of tar roads, then the gravel bike makes more sense.

DO expect 10 different opinions in the next 5 replies ..... :whistling:

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY - make sure you get the correct SIZE bike !!!  Spend some time doing your homework on the correct size bike for YOU ... possibly Large in MTB, though with various manufacturers you may be in the upper end of their Medium size .... (not sure of the road bike sizing).

You mention Cape Town .... You can rent a MTB at Bloemendal, this may be one way to test what works for YOU.  No, do you dont have go riding trails if you dont want to, rent it and do a section of tar outside the farm if that is your thing.

Budget ..... the bike is the obvious cost.  Small repairs, maybe tires and a tubeless conversion quickly escalate the initial cost.  Lights .... a helmet .... PEDALS, yes, many bikes are sold without pedals.  Add a toolbag and some items if you want to take care of small niggles along the ride .... these add up quickly.

PS - the Avalanche is a 26'' bike in a Medium .... way too small for somebody at 1,8m ..... our 10 year old rides a 26'' Medium, and he is 1,45m.

PPS - A 26'' in a L is hens teeth, but will be a nice commuter.  Even a 27,5'' (650B) in L may be a nice commuter, and a lot cheaper than a 29" bike

All that said, CWC has a brand new entry level MTB under 10k .... perfect commuter.  12k if you want it a bit nicer.

IF you are handy in the garage, then a decent 2nd hand bike makes more sense ..... alternatively consider a more basic, but new bike ....

As ChrisF mentioned, M is going to be too small for you but here's my thoughts: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/543569/felt-q920-frame-26-large?utm_source=WhatsApp - you send me a DM (direct message) we iron out all the details but in a nutshell - I go and pick up this frame from Conrad, I then box it up with all the parts needed and ship it down to @Bicycle Yard Zarras and he'll assemble it and get you down the road 👍

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Added a link

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Welcome to the Bike Hub, and to cycling as a lifestyle.

These are two totally different bikes.

BOTH may be good (or bad) for YOUR commute.  Also consider what else you may want to do with the bike ..... maybe do a few trail rides over the weekend ?  Or is Chappies and the tar road more your style ?

For MY commuter I specifically went for a "hard tail MTB" (like the Avalanche), for a couple of reasons:

- around here the shoulder of the road is bad, so that front shock really helps !

- the larger volume tires also help for the bad roads

That said, many gravel bike owners just smile and ride these conditions on their rigid bikes (like the (gravel grinder add)

If trails are an option, then the hardtail certainly makes more sense.

If you see yourself doing lots of tar roads, then the gravel bike makes more sense.

DO expect 10 different opinions in the next 5 replies ..... :whistling:

MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY - make sure you get the correct SIZE bike !!!  Spend some time doing your homework on the correct size bike for YOU ... possibly Large in MTB, though with various manufacturers you may be in the upper end of their Medium size .... (not sure of the road bike sizing).

You mention Cape Town .... You can rent a MTB at Bloemendal, this may be one way to test what works for YOU.  No, do you dont have go riding trails if you dont want to, rent it and do a section of tar outside the farm if that is your thing.

Budget ..... the bike is the obvious cost.  Small repairs, maybe tires and a tubeless conversion quickly escalate the initial cost.  Lights .... a helmet .... PEDALS, yes, many bikes are sold without pedals.  Add a toolbag and some items if you want to take care of small niggles along the ride .... these add up quickly.

PS - the Avalanche is a 26'' bike in a Medium .... way too small for somebody at 1,8m ..... our 10 year old rides a 26'' Medium, and he is 1,45m.

PPS - A 26'' in a L is hens teeth, but will be a nice commuter.  Even a 27,5'' (650B) in L may be a nice commuter, and a lot cheaper than a 29" bike

All that said, CWC has a brand new entry level MTB under 10k .... perfect commuter.  12k if you want it a bit nicer.

IF you are handy in the garage, then a decent 2nd hand bike makes more sense ..... alternatively consider a more basic, but new bike ....

Solid points here. Regardless of the bike you choose, automatically add R2000-3000 to your budget. Trust me, your wife is going to want a new saddle (and why not, if she's comfortable and happy you have a guaranteed cycling partner for those chilled rides). After I bought my wife's road bike I spend another +- R2500 putting on a different saddle, pedals and a few other small changes. 

When I buy a bike I usually change the tyres as well, only recently have I had an exception. But that can also be another R1000k. Factor these costs into your feasibility study.

Last note, building a frame up is more expensive in most cases, satisfying yes, but more expensive. 

9 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

As ChrisF mentioned, M is going to be too small for you but here's my thoughts: 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bike-frames/543569/felt-q920-frame-26-large?utm_source=WhatsApp - you send me a DM (direct message) we iron out all the details but in a nutshell - I go and pick up this frame from Conrad, I then box it up with all the parts needed and ship it down to @Bicycle Yard Zarras and he'll assemble it and get you down the road 👍

Tempted to buy that frame for when Maritz outgrows the M .....  

That is one sweet deal .....

On 1/5/2022 at 9:38 AM, ouzo said:

I'm not going to comment on the bikes, but if you are going to be teaching your wife to ride make sure the bike is the right size for her. She will be scared enough just trying to balance on 2 wheels without the added issues of a bike thats to large or to small. 

It doesnt have to be the perfect fit, but it does need atleast be close.

More importantly, don't do what I did and put clipless pedals on to start...