29er non-tapered fork non-boost.

Devin Conradie

I have a late 2000's GT Avalanche. The front forks have given up and I'm struggling to find any place that can help me source a new or refurbished replacement.

Its a straight shaft, meaning non tapered and I believe that's where the issues start - finding a non tapered fork.

My bike has been standing for 2 months and im aching to ride again.

I'm looking for any advice on how to approach this debacle.

Go see Solomons Woodmead - was there the other day and they had a rack of older forks taken off brand new bikes, i'm sure there were 26er and 27.5er forks on the rack

Speak to Aghtar

Solomons in Lynnwood also had, I bought two there - Suntour XCM straight steerer and the price was like R2500.00. This was back in December of 2020 though. 

After some research I found out that it might be possible to convert to a tapered fork. Would it be possible for a bike that almost 15 years old? And would it even be worth it? 

If the frame allows a taper fork, then you can use a straight fork with a taper crown race

If your frame is set for straight fork, then you cant change it to a taper fork

Image shamelessly taken off the net: 

Buy Tapered Steerer Tube Conversion 1 1/8in to 1 1/2in Crown Race Ring Fork  Adapter at affordable prices — free shipping, real reviews with photos —  Joom

Yes you can, by using one of these, but you will need to find the correct size for your frame by measuring the ID of the bottom part of the head tube.

Only you will know if it is worth spending the money on a 15 year old bike. 😀 

Hope H EC44/40 Higher Integrated Headset

Edited by Koos Likkewaan

If it's a GT Avalanche, the fork is probably a Suntour coil shock of sorts. 

Not sure what is wrong with yours, but these are very easy to fix. Sometimes all they need is a good clean inside and some lubing/grease. 

9 hours ago, Eugene said:

If it's a GT Avalanche, the fork is probably a Suntour coil shock of sorts. 

Not sure what is wrong with yours, but these are very easy to fix. Sometimes all they need is a good clean inside and some lubing/grease. 

Hi Eugene.

So the tension and locking mechanisms both stopped working. I've given it to a shop close by and they recommend either a new shock or new bike... I'm trying to avoid the latter😃

9 minutes ago, Devin Conradie said:

Hi Eugene.

So the tension and locking mechanisms both stopped working. I've given it to a shop close by and they recommend either a new shock or new bike... I'm trying to avoid the latter😃

Sho, that's a bit extreme, so the lockout stopped working and now they want you to buy a new bike 😁. Very good upselling skills from that sales person. 

As indicated above, if the diameter is 44 mm, then you can accommodate the tapered fork. I have done it with my son's bike. It raises the height a few mm and works very well. I got the part from Aliexpress. The part was something like this below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900727858.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.58ad2872ZqM8od&algo_pvid=5c010f7c-ff0d-4cbe-8298-774f047f6727&algo_exp_id=5c010f7c-ff0d-4cbe-8298-774f047f6727-4

2 hours ago, Martin PJ said:

As indicated above, if the diameter is 44 mm, then you can accommodate the tapered fork. I have done it with my son's bike. It raises the height a few mm and works very well. I got the part from Aliexpress. The part was something like this below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32900727858.html?spm=a2g0o.search0304.0.0.58ad2872ZqM8od&algo_pvid=5c010f7c-ff0d-4cbe-8298-774f047f6727&algo_exp_id=5c010f7c-ff0d-4cbe-8298-774f047f6727-4

Mhmm I'll save this one for one day. Going to ride my '11 Alu frame until the end of days, not sure if my Reba will last that long.