Dual Suspension 29er MTB - Below R20K

Manus Coetzee

I'm an occasional rider that would like to get a bit more involved in riding trails & tracks, but cannot justify spending more than indicated (already pushing the boundary!)

I see some "nice" bikes on the site, but have no idea what is good or not...don't want to buy a bike that is too old, and also not sure whether I should buy Large or Medium (178cm, 85Kg and pushing 60 years, so therefore soft tail?). I also like the new trend of no derailleur in front... 🙂 

Guidance/advice would be highly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, Manus Coetzee said:

I'm an occasional rider that would like to get a bit more involved in riding trails & tracks, but cannot justify spending more than indicated (already pushing the boundary!)

I see some "nice" bikes on the site, but have no idea what is good or not...don't want to buy a bike that is too old, and also not sure whether I should buy Large or Medium (178cm, 85Kg and pushing 60 years, so therefore soft tail?). I also like the new trend of no derailleur in front... 🙂 

Guidance/advice would be highly appreciated!

Hi Manus

You would be able to get a very decent Aluminum dual suspension bike for R20k, Carbon would be a stretch to get for that money.

I will keep an eye out for you in the classifieds and post it here if I see anything decent for R20k.

Edit:  You looking at a Medium for your length, you might consider large but that would be pushing the limits a bit.

Edited by TheoG

Alloy hardtail, carbon at a stretch if looking second hand.

For the budget you’re very unlikely to find something full suss in 29r in good nick and/or up to date. Servicing could quickly ramp up costs. 

3 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

There are occasionally Giants for sale at below that price point, and you can do much worse than start out on an Anthem or Trance. 

An anthem for R 20k will most likely cost you another 5 - 10k to fix if you don't know what you're looking for.

I'm pretty sure that you will find a full suspension under R20k. The trick, however, is recognizing a lemon from a good buy. 

Those Titan Sonics on Darko's list are what you should be aiming for. 

45 minutes ago, CdT85 said:

That's my problem...lots of options, but for an uninformed buyer the question is which one is good or a dud? 

59 minutes ago, Manus Coetzee said:

That's my problem...lots of options, but for an uninformed buyer the question is which one is good or a dud? 

You'll ideally have to take it to a trusted mechanic or a mate who knows what he's doing and get it assessed before you buy. If you're in CT it's a service we offer, seller drops off with us, we assess, and you can then make an informed choice.

As a general rule, if the drivetrain's ok, you can budget around R 5k to get a full sus up and running again. Don't make the mistake of leaving the servicing, especially suspension, until it's too late.

I've sold two M dual sus bikes for under R20k in the last few months. What you're currently doing is the right approach. If a bike holds up to the scrutiny of the hub police then you'll be in good shape. I will gladly assist in getting you sorted, send me a pm, I will help where I can

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I've sold two M dual sus bikes for under R20k in the last few months. What you're currently doing is the right approach. If a bike holds up to the scrutiny of the hub police then you'll be in good shape. I will gladly assist in getting you sorted, send me a pm, I will help where I can

Thanks will do. I need all the help I can get! 🙂

I am more or less your size, just 2kg up on you and I ride a Medium Scott Genius, Nothing wrong with the older Scotts.

My bike started off as a 950 Genius, 2 x 10speed, I did the conversion to 1x11 XT, Upgraded the wheels to Rapide and added a 150mm Dropper post with a proper suspension fork - nothing more  is needed for most riding at my age.

At under 20k I would go with a 27.5 dual if it had to be a dual suspension. 

For some reason its lost most of its following which means they are going for cheap or at least much cheaper than similar spec 29er. 

In short you will get much more bang for your buck.