Best way to pump shocks without a proper shock pump

Matthew du preez

1 hour ago, Matthew du preez said:

Thanks a ton for your guys help. 

Will be getting the shock pump today.

So will hopefully be going to get at least 1 or 2 decent rides in before Sunday 😂

If you dont manage to get the pump for the weekend let me know...sent you a message as well...

23 minutes ago, TheoG said:

A bit harsh, but I tend to agree with you .... 😂

24 minutes ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Your bike should be confiscated if you have air shocks and don't own a shock pump.

No chance anyone is confiscating my Mamba 😂

Or let me rather say my Merida 120 pro 😁😁😁

Edited by Matthew du preez

19 hours ago, love2fly said:

Whats the danger of a car pump? All I know is that it won't pump high enough? And their guages calibration is rubbish....

Shock pumps are high pressure, low volume. Foot pumps, compressors etc are low pressure, high volume. The two applications are not compatible.

Edited by thebob

Yay, pump arrived last night.  PubMed my shocks up to 9 bar. To get the appropriate sag. They feel a whole lot better now.

Now just waiting on the sludge. That'll arrive tomorrow, then I can assemble my bike, and get everything ready

On 2/23/2022 at 9:01 AM, Danger Dassie said:

Can easily blow/damage the seals with a car pump and especially an air compressor. Shocks house a lot of pressure for the volume space. 
Seen people bring in forks/shocks for a rebuild from all kinds of hack, my fave being on that used a C02 ... 

No ways you'll exceed max pressure for anything with a standard compressor. But a bomb is asking for it.

My best so far was Stans in an air can cos it was leaking.

1 hour ago, droo said:

No ways you'll exceed max pressure for anything with a standard compressor. But a bomb is asking for it.

That's almost unbelievable

2 hours ago, droo said:

Ja, except some of the automotive/factory ones. Oke thought he’d go by ‘feel’ because he apparently couldn’t get a reading. Mid ride the shock was pap like vleis.

Stans in an air can is first class. This is why we have child proof lids!