[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

18 minutes ago, Akon said:

Sure, but that is 12 guys working together, all the time, no interruptions. An early break with all teams presented - will the rest, sans other team members, efficiently work together to catch them? 

There aren’t really that many teams looking at the start list. And by team I mean a group with more than 1… most of the teams are only 2. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, WaldoZ said:

Very rough calc... the group behind must ride 3kph faster than the group ahead of them to catch them before the end... (not exactly, but rounded)

40 - 37 - 34 - 31,5 - 29 .... let that sink in 

PS: this includes stops... avg speed for whole race.

The bigger question would be what will the 1st group AVG so the rest of us can adjust our pace 😂

The best teams at DC avg just over 40... like 42/43... ok yes it's only 10/12 guys BUT they also get 90min free picnic in that time.

I'm in group 2 and if I have a group to ride with I think I can hold 31kmph for 7 hours - on a windless day in cool conditions on a relatively flat course - I reckon that's a go for this mamil.

Which means you fivers had better not hang about too much. And if I manage to catch @Denis Delland @Jewbaccaand the oke in the kilt and we start working together for sure the break is taking the day.

Edited by Mamil

11 minutes ago, Mamil said:

I'm in group 2 and if I have a group to ride with I think I can hold 31kmph for 7 hours - on a windless day in cool conditions on a relatively flat course - I reckon that's a go for this mamil.

Which means you fivers had better not hang about too much. And if I manage to catch @Denis Delland @Jewbaccaand the oke in the kilt and we start working together for sure the break is taking the day.

I just packed my kilt and facepaint!

Good morning. In less than half an hour, riders from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest road battle in the history of racing.

Racing -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.  We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is The Big day, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.  We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, to RIDE!!!

And should we win the day, the 26th of July will no longer be known as The Big Day, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"
Today, we celebrate our Victory!

35 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

Good morning. In less than half an hour, riders from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest road battle in the history of racing.

Racing -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.  We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is The Big day, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.  We're fighting for our right to live, to exist, to RIDE!!!

And should we win the day, the 26th of July will no longer be known as The Big Day, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

We will not go quietly into the night!
We will not vanish without a fight!
We're going to live on!
We're going to survive!"
Today, we celebrate our Victory!

Is G5 the aliens in the analogy? 🤣

5 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Is G5 the aliens in the analogy? 🤣

Not sure what is the better motivation for that breakaway group... being chased by an ou tannie on a BMX or a couple of racing snakes from the elite group covered in tinfoil...

tin foil suit at DuckDuckGo | Dark sense of humor, Amazing stories, Tin foil

On a serious note, as someone who does not frequently ride bike races, is the route marked and/or marshalled at intersections or do I need a GPX file to follow?

Yes, that is how uninformed I am.

It's been 10 years since I last did a road race other than Argus 

33 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

On a serious note, as someone who does not frequently ride bike races, is the route marked and/or marshalled at intersections or do I need a GPX file to follow?

from somebody that has NEVER done any racing at all (ever), and trying to read everything pertaining to this event that is humanly possible, this document seems to suggest there will be marshals and signages at the different intersections

https://www.wpcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/V2V-Event-Guide-Sue-Lenovo.pdf

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

You won't need it, but I almost always load the GPX to my headunit when racing.

1. I like having the climbs on display.
  2. Marshals often stand like lamp posts with neither an arm nor a flag actually indicating which way to go, or they focus on stopping traffic and not directing cyclists...

Strava file correcting GPS errors from the WP page and using a better approximation of the finish line if you just want to star it:
https://www.strava.com/routes/2974662483258020248

Edited by bleedToWin

18 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

2. Marshals often stand like lamp posts with neither an arm nor a flag actually indicating which way to go, or they focus on stopping traffic and not directing cyclists...

Strava file correcting GPS errors from the WP page and using a better approximation of the finish line if you just want to star it:

Legend

I will upload it just in case. I'd hate for my 217km breakaway win to be foiled by a wrong turn

13 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Unsure about the finish line on this strava route as it seems randomly placed on the Dwarskers road outside of town

The event page has the finish line in front of the municipality - seems more plausible as that's got loads of parking. You can't miss it - there's a whale skull outside!

I doubt the finish will be @Riviera - it's just after a large (unsafe) intersection 

here's my markup of the finale for anyone interested

image.png.3ecd6acbf3c7b1d4b0601c801b05f39c.png

IF this IS the route as shown, the green circles are intersections that are dodgy and should be marshalled. the blue question mark is a random detour that is super-unlikely (don't do it)

but, I guess we'll all find out on the day. If this helps. you're welcome. Oh, and look out for white bakkies....

7 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

Unsure about the finish line on this strava route as it seems randomly placed on the Dwarskers road outside of town

The event page has the finish line in front of the municipality - seems more plausible as that's got loads of parking. You can't miss it - there's a whale skull outside!

I doubt the finish will be @Riviera - it's just after a large (unsafe) intersection 

here's my markup of the finale for anyone interested

image.png.3ecd6acbf3c7b1d4b0601c801b05f39c.png

IF this IS the route as shown, the green circles are intersections that are dodgy and should be marshalled. the blue question mark is a random detour that is super-unlikely (don't do it)

but, I guess we'll all find out on the day. If this helps. you're welcome. Oh, and look out for white bakkies....

This random finish routing I suspect was done to get the distance artificially up to 222km.

I moved the finish because:

1. The event guide has no marshals for these intersections.
  2. It would be an irresponsible dangerous finish.
  3. The web page says "The finish line will be just outside Velddrif on the Dwarskersbos road"
  4. The event guide has a "POI 35 - Finish" indicated on the Dwarskersbos road.
  5. The event guide says "There will also be parking available on the open ground
    behind the finish line on the Dwarskersbos Road."

If my route finishes just after a large unsafe intersection then the real finish will be even earlier.

8 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

This random finish routing I suspect was done to get the distance artificially up to 222km.

I moved the finish because:

1. The event guide has no marshals for these intersections.
  2. It would be an irresponsible dangerous finish.
  3. The web page says "The finish line will be just outside Velddrif on the Dwarskersbos road"
  4. The event guide has a "POI 35 - Finish" indicated on the Dwarskersbos road.
  5. The event guide says "There will also be parking available on the open ground
    behind the finish line on the Dwarskersbos Road."

If my route finishes just after a large unsafe intersection then the real finish will be even earlier.

ah! well, good to know. Would hate to be waiting for a lost Mamil to not show up.