[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

12 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Honestly I'd be very surprised if Group 5 manages to catch everyone, so it'll likely be different winners.

Yeah, I agree. An hour between batch 3 and 5. If 10 guys/girls work well from there, an hour is a long time to make up

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Very cautious indeed!
My 2h40 CTCT and 2.0 PPA seeding apparently doesn't qualify me for any category at all and since I skipped Winter League I'm probably only good for Open? 😆

Sending email now to rectify.
Seeding systems never fail to deliver more than their fair share of comedy.
🤪

can we employ you next year to seed the field?😁

Edited by City Cycling Athletic Club
x

30 minutes ago, Mamil said:

In what seeding system does @Jewbaccaget a half hour head start on me?  Answer... The one that uses his argus time and assumes it was on a carbon road bike. 

To be fair, I stopped racing bikes a long time ago, so there is genuinely no way to actually seed me other than BMX Argus.

This seemed like a fun way to ride 200km and good prep for Around the Pot 200 miler. I wouldn't volunteer more than 4 hours in the saddle usually and I don't have the discipline to make myself do it, so this tempers the shock of 15 odd hours somewhat.

If I enjoy it I might do a few other road races between now and BMX Argus

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Honestly I'd be very surprised if Group 5 manages to catch everyone, so it'll likely be different winners.

over 100 kms at PdV cat 2 were 14 minutes slower than cat 1 , at Lady Loch Cat 2 rode 84 kms in 2.22 , cat 1 raced 96 kms in 2.27, ultimately the distance will leave only the strongest racing and i believe the strongest in group 5 will catch the strongest in group 4 even if it's 'on the line'.

8 minutes ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

i will answer other queries tomoro - it's been challenging organising certain issues by remote control and in free time. 

Event organising is not an easy task, even more so when putting together an event for cyclists as we are not an easy bunch to please. There will be complaints, mistakes will be made but we will have fun riding our bicycles amid all the chaos in the world. 

So kudos to you guys for putting this together and may it grow and become a staple in our racing calendars. 

52 minutes ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

over 100 kms at PdV cat 2 were 14 minutes slower than cat 1 , at Lady Loch Cat 2 rode 84 kms in 2.22 , cat 1 raced 96 kms in 2.27, ultimately the distance will leave only the strongest racing and i believe the strongest in group 5 will catch the strongest in group 4 even if it's 'on the line'.

Thanks for the effort and this new concept! I really hope none of the people in the first 4 groups decides to wear a kilt, paint their face with blue stripes and prance around with their bike in front of their start chute and give a “lets work together! They will never take our freedom” speech cause that might actually cause that group to win 🙈

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Yeah, I agree. An hour between batch 3 and 5. If 10 guys/girls work well from there, an hour is a long time to make up

I’m not sure so sure . Use the DC as a reference.

top amateur teams are coming in around 5hr 

mid pace teams in around 6 and xmsocisl teams around 7

and then you have the lost the braai bet crowd making most use of their entry fee…. Around 9 hours 

thise too amateur teas are catching the mid tier teams on the last rollers 

42 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Thanks for the effort and this new concept! I really hope none of the people in the first 4 groups decides to wear a kilt, paint their face with blue stripes and prance around with their bike in front of their start chute and give a “lets work together! They will never take our freedom” speech cause that might actually cause that group to win 🙈

5 degrees at the start in a kilt ... 

12 hours ago, Mamil said:

5 degrees at the start in a kilt ... 

Ask not what the peloton can do for you, but what you can do for the peloton....:-) And it seems the peloton has spoken and asked you to complete the event in a kilt and blue face paint... 🙂

Edited by Denis Dell

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I’m not sure so sure . Use the DC as a reference.

top amateur teams are coming in around 5hr 

mid pace teams in around 6 and xmsocisl teams around 7

and then you have the lost the braai bet crowd making most use of their entry fee…. Around 9 hours 

thise too amateur teas are catching the mid tier teams on the last rollers 

For sure. But 7 hours from Social bunch 1 on Sunday means you're pushing batch 5 to break 5 hours.

If Denis and 2 other guys have decent legs and work together at a shade under 31kph avg they will probably get to sprint for the win.

Unlikely, but definitely not impossible. An unseeded Iron Man boet could easily solo this route at 31 clicks

Edited by Jewbacca

18 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

For sure. But 7 hours from Social bunch 1 on Sunday means you're pushing batch 5 to break 5 hours.

If Denis and 2 other guys have decent legs and work together at a shade under 31kph avg they will probably get to sprint for the win.

Unlikely, but definitely not impossible. An unseeded Iron Man boet could easily solo this route at 31 clicks

So that's you, Denis and ..... I would say you need 4 and I'd offer to join but I'm half an hour behind you.

Edit: and I can't sprint so I'd have to try smoke you with 2km to go

Edited by Mamil

57 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This ☝️

Basically, what this sounds like is that we expect a breakaway to form from the social bunch around the first feeding station (about 30 minutes after Braveheart joins the fight).... thus far, said breakaway will consist of Frodo, a hairy dude on a pink bike. Mell Gibson, a Scotsman wearing a kilt and blue face paint, a small guerrilla weighing in at 105kg, (who started cycling 4 months ago, me).  All we need now for motivation is an old tannie chasing us on her BMX....

Yeah, I agree, I can see nothing wrong with that picture.... 😉