[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Sid the Sloth said:

So what wheel depth are we thinking is optimal?

60/80 or nothing!

As a hacker I only have 1 wheelset. 40mm deep. So it's less to think about.

Get there, register, make the stat chute, hit the 2,5km neutral zone and then break off the front and solo to a dramatic victory 

Just now, Jewbacca said:

60/80 or nothing!

As a hacker I only have 1 wheelset. 40mm deep. So it's less to think about.

Get there, register, make the stat chute, hit the 2,5km neutral zone and then break off the front and solo to a dramatic victory 

let me go find my 140mm stem too

2 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

So what wheel depth are we thinking is optimal?

And here I am trying to figure out how many layers to dress in 🙈

19 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Where do one place the bets? 

Depends on what you want to place a bet on...

Braveheart, Hobbits, Old Tannie, BMX, Old Tannie on a BMX, Mountain Bike, Wheel depth Avg per person, Layer Avg per person, Onions... I could go on....

2 hours ago, WaldoZ said:

And here I am trying to figure out how many layers to dress in 🙈

a 5deg start @35kmh is -2deg on the skin...  time to break out the old surgical gloves under regular gloves trick perhaps?

23 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

a 5deg start @35kmh is -2deg on the skin...  time to break out the old surgical gloves under regular gloves trick perhaps?

That worked very well at Augrabies.

9 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

at what stage of an event do you go and ask yourself the question, WTF did I sign up for?

Excitement at the start ... Pleasure for the first 60.... Nagging discomfort by 90 .... Time to stop at 140.... Please can this end at 180 ..... I'm not going to make it at 200 .... Everything hurts at 220 .... Never again while it uploads to Strava .... See you next year by Monday morning tea.

10 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Excitement at the start ... Pleasure for the first 60.... Nagging discomfort by 90 .... Time to stop at 140.... Please can this end at 180 ..... I'm not going to make it at 200 .... Everything hurts at 220 .... Never again while it uploads to Strava .... See you next year by Monday morning tea.

....when you get to 222km after crossing the line there is no way you can leave it like that, got to round up to 250kms 🤪🤣

Just now, milky4130 said:

....when you get to 222km after crossing the line there is no way you can leave it like that, got to round up to 250kms 🤪🤣

If you do it on a gravel bike there's a very nice gravel ride back to Cape town via darling, along the railway line to kalbaskraal to the northern suburbs .... It could be an audax.

3 hours ago, Mamil said:

If you do it on a gravel bike there's a very nice gravel ride back to Cape town via darling, along the railway line to kalbaskraal to the northern suburbs .... It could be an audax.

I see that there is an additional motivation for the William Wallace band to work together. According to epic ride app, a head wind will start hitting us as we turn to head south. So the slower we do the first 150km, the stronger the headwind. 

If we push 28km/h (from 07:00) then we will only have 10km/h plus head wind for the last 20km.

If we slack the first 150km at 20km/h, then we will start hitting 10km/h+ head winds from 60km out.

If we get chased by a bunch of bmx riders, and do 35km/h, well, then there will be almost no wind for us, but also, we will probably be finishing this race in the back of support vehicles with signs on our bikes "free road bike to the first responder, willing to ship anywhere on my own cost"