[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

SuzieK

does anyone know whether they will be enforcing the "no merging" of Batches? i.e. if 4 catches 3 or 5 catches 4 #askingforafriend 🤔

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

does anyone know whether they will be enforcing the "no merging" of Batches? i.e. if 4 catches 3 or 5 catches 4 #askingforafriend 🤔

I really hope not, not only can that be an administrational nightmare, but as a social rider, I am hoping to draft the faster groups until I can no longer keep up, struggle forward till the next batch catches me and then I will try to hang on for as long as possible...  every time the next batch comes by, I'd be suffering more and more because their average speeds will be higher.

10 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

I really hope not, not only can that be an administrational nightmare, but as a social rider, I am hoping to draft the faster groups until I can no longer keep up, struggle forward till the next batch catches me and then I will try to hang on for as long as possible...  every time the next batch comes by, I'd be suffering more and more because their average speeds will be higher.

'Tis the format, and that "rule" is most certainly an oversight when setting up the document from a base doc where the rule would be applicable to the "normal" race format.

I suspect for most riders though only one group wil catch you where you can hang on. The next group closed an hour gap on you. It'll either be late stages and lifting the pace would be difficult, or if it's mid race then they are much much faster than you.

Well in a perfect world the front of each group would only actually meet in the last 15-30min of the race and then it is for line honours... so no way this rule would actually be applicable in that scenario surely?

I think @bleedToWin is correct. @City Cycling Athletic Club can you confirm if groups are allowed to merge?

EDIT: imagine all 130 cyclist sprinting for the line cause the handicapping was just that 100% 😂 

I think we have a better chance of seeing blue painted faces and kilts though.

Edited by WaldoZ

1 hour ago, Denis Dell said:

Basically, what this sounds like is that we expect a breakaway to form from the social bunch around the first feeding station (about 30 minutes after Braveheart joins the fight).... thus far, said breakaway will consist of Frodo, a hairy dude on a pink bike. Mell Gibson, a Scotsman wearing a kilt and blue face paint, a small guerrilla weighing in at 105kg, (who started cycling 4 months ago, me).  All we need now for motivation is an old tannie chasing us on her BMX....

Yeah, I agree, I can see nothing wrong with that picture.... 😉

Truth be told, when you get to Piketberg, this will seem pretty normal

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

For sure. But 7 hours from Social bunch 1 on Sunday means you're pushing batch 5 to break 5 hours.

If Denis and 2 other guys have decent legs and work together at a shade under 31kph avg they will probably get to sprint for the win.

Unlikely, but definitely not impossible. An unseeded Iron Man boet could easily solo this route at 31 clicks

So the ask is to mail it at 44km/hr?

sounds doable. I feel sorry for anyone seeded in batch 5 and got their seeding from a tjommie riding with their timing chip…

Very rough calc... the group behind must ride 3kph faster than the group ahead of them to catch them before the end... (not exactly, but rounded)

40 - 37 - 34 - 31,5 - 29 .... let that sink in 

PS: this includes stops... avg speed for whole race.

The bigger question would be what will the 1st group AVG so the rest of us can adjust our pace 😂

The best teams at DC avg just over 40... like 42/43... ok yes it's only 10/12 guys BUT they also get 90min free picnic in that time.

Edited by WaldoZ

11 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

PS: this includes stops...

+ Time to go 850m off route to get to feed zone 2 (should the organisers stick to the provisional plan) 

Anyone follow the gravel aerobar debate?
None of the pro's want them, but since some might use them they are all forced to use them.

There's a chance some racers might skip the 4min detour feed zone, even though we all want to take on food and drink...

Edited by bleedToWin

16 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

Very rough calc... the group behind must ride 3kph faster than the group ahead of them to catch them before the end... (not exactly, but rounded)

The bigger question would be what will the 1st group AVG so the rest of us can adjust our pace 😂

The best teams at DC avg just over 40... like 42/43... ok yes it's only 10/12 guys BUT they also get 90min free picnic in that time.

you hankering for a yellow moto with a chalk board?

33 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

They also have the small business of 2100m accumulated  elevation gain

16 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Anyone follow the gravel aerobar debate?
None of the pro's want them, but since some might use them they are all forced to use them.

There's a chance some racers might skip the 4min detour feed zone, even though we all want to take on food and drink...

Next zone is only at 188km 🙈 

Not allowed to feed from a car... I mean at 125km there is no race yet is there? If guys want to go ahead then fine with me. I won't survive if I go with them I don't think.

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

They also have the small business of 2100m accumulated  elevation gain

Yeah it can't be an exact comparison but it's the only real reference we (I?) have. Doesn't change the fact that the groups ahead needs to be 3kph faster. It's now to figure out what the groups would be doing and what your group needs to do to stay in the hunt. 

1 hour ago, WaldoZ said:

Sure, but that is 12 guys working together, all the time, no interruptions. An early break with all teams presented - will the rest, sans other team members, efficiently work together to catch them? 

1 minute ago, Akon said:

Sure, but that is 12 guys working together, all the time, no interruptions. An early break with all teams presented - will the rest, sans other team members, efficiently work together to catch them? 

Not unless there is face paint and a kilt involved...