Chris Willemse Cycles: buy online, get previously opened package

tinmug

1 minute ago, tinmug said:

No, as two separate parts inside same resealed plastic packet as the chain itself.

@MORNE  I hear what you are saying. I'm not that fussed about the package – just found it a little strange. But not engaging me when I specifically queried about it (yet, it's been 3 days) strikes me as a little tardy. 🤷‍♂️

Whatever. Move on. 👍

I've been thinking come on, it doesn't really matter, its going to go on your bike, no packaging, whatever, move on.

BUT if that little packet was opened it probably means it was installed and according to shimano the quick link is not reusable. I'd want another chain from them. 

and yes I know most of us reuse the quick links, Shimano says we shouldn't. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I think Quicklinks on shimano chains are a recent thing or something you pay extra for.
i built a full slx 12 speed groupset onto a bike in november 2020 and that still had the weird shimano pin on it instead of quicklink.

oem chain imo means a chain received in a box with other things…meant for putting cookie cutter bikes together for resale in the shop.
Mr ABC comes into the store…sees the bike but doesnt want SLX, so asks them to upgrade the groupset.

That brand new unused SLX stuff gets removed from the bike and repackaged in plastic bags and whatnot and sold as OEM.

Is it ethical? Meh?

I've received quick links with all my 12 speed chains. Maybe a recent thing? first one I bought probably early 2021.

2 minutes ago, Jono said:

I've been thinking come on, it doesn't really matter, its going to go on your bike, no packaging, whatever, move on.

BUT if that little packet was opened it probably means it was installed and according to shimano the quick link is not reusable. I'd want another chain from them. 

and yes I know most of us reuse the quick links, Shimano says we shouldn't. 

We also shouldnt desire, hate, blaspheme or pick our noses apparently😅

SRAM say the same, i take mine off every two weeks and reuse it. KMC doesnt care…and they probably make both theirs.  
I haven't been struck down yet lol.

I don't re use the 12 speed quiklinks more than once. I have had one come undone at an extreme chain angle (in the 50T). It was a bit horrible. going nowhere slowly up a 20% to suddenly finding reverse and going backwards rapidly.I reasoned that when I ht a bump the chain unloaded at the moment the quiklink was close to the chainring and the wave moving back toward the chainring had enough energy to unhook the quiklink because it wasn't broken. I found both parts and refitted the chain but the link when back together with a simple tug of the hands and not needing the pressure on the pedals as is normally required. A similar situation can arise on a road bike so I don't re-use the links

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I don't re use the 12 speed quiklinks more than once. I have had one come undone at an extreme chain angle (in the 50T). It was a bit horrible. going nowhere slowly up a 20% to suddenly finding reverse and going backwards rapidly.I reasoned that when I ht a bump the chain unloaded at the moment the quiklink was close to the chainring and the wave moving back toward the chainring had enough energy to unhook the quiklink because it wasn't broken. I found both parts and refitted the chain but the link when back together with a simple tug of the hands and not needing the pressure on the pedals as is normally required. A similar situation can arise on a road bike so I don't re-use the links

To be fair….In 50T WITH the chain on you are going nowhere slowly anyway. 

😂

Nah ill keep blaspheming untill i break a link…then ill slowly work backwards 5 ‘removes’ at a time haha. At R150 odd a pop it better last more than once. I havent even broken one on a single speed bike yet.

Edited by MORNE

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

R150????!!!!!

Thats what I pay for 3!!

Yes You are right. Sort of lol. The 12spd xx1 powerlinks are pushing R70 a card already. So 2. I had 150 in my head when i bought 2 cards a while ago. my bad 😂

ADF351BB-E482-47AE-87F6-592FA860FCE0.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Yes You are right. Sort of lol. The 12spd xx1 powerlinks are pushing R70 a card already. So 2. I had 150 in my head when i bought 2 cards a while ago. my bad 😂

ADF351BB-E482-47AE-87F6-592FA860FCE0.jpeg

That is a lot of money for a little link

21 hours ago, Jono said:

according to shimano the quick link is not reusable

I have often wondered what reusable means in context. Does it mean (a) that you can only fit it a single time or (b) that it is meant to only last the life of the chain and must also be thrown away when the chain is worn beyond limits? I've always followed the (b) option to date provided it goes on tight.

On 3/29/2022 at 5:39 PM, tinmug said:

I don't mind the not-Shimano box, that's absolutely fine with me. 

I do mind that the package had been cut opened and resealed. That's underhanded behaviour.

I agree...I mean why on earth try to RESEAL the "opened" packaging????? What happened to transparency? Was there something they weren't telling you (or wanted you to see) ?

On 4/2/2022 at 8:23 PM, Ramzy said:

I agree...I mean why on earth try to RESEAL the "opened" packaging????? What happened to transparency? Was there something they weren't telling you (or wanted you to see) ?

They used a branded sticker, the chain is new. So how is anything being hidden or lack of transparency. Imho this is a whole lot of blow hard over a none issue. Given the shortage of consumables this is going to be more common, especially chains.