Where does a chain actually wear?

MudLark

The conventional view is that a chain wears primarily as between the roller and the pin. But I wonder if this is correct? Disassembling several different makes of chains, I have noticed that the roller doesn't seem to actually rest on the pin itself or to make direct contact with it. Rather, the roller seems to rest on shoulders pressed into the inner plate metal. That seems to be the only contact point. If I am correct  then that would also be logical  in a bicycle as the smaller contact surface would likely serve to reduce friction (albeit at the cost of greater load on the bearing surfaces). But if I  am correct, then it also raises some questions about where the wear in fact occurs* and what one should be aiming to achieve with lubrication (not that one might actually do anything differently).

*Let's accept that chains wear in several different ways, including between plates and between inner plates and pins. Here I'm focused on what happens with the interface between the rollers and the various other components.

3 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Pop off an old, well used master link and you can often see the wear in the pins

So there's a case in point. When you pop out the master link, the rollers don't fall out. Why? Because they don't rest on the pin but on the shoulders I have referred to.

Inner plates have grooves for holding the Rollers in place.

Pins Hold the Chain Together. (The Pin Never Touches the Roller).

Wear is between Rollers and Inner Plates.

If you Lube your Chain "Every Ride" or Every 30Km . Your Chain will Last Very Long.

Edited by dasilvarsa

58 minutes ago, jcza said:

I thought it stretches? 

Sat that is a mighty big spoon to be stirring *** 🙂

14 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Sat that is a mighty big spoon to be stirring *** 🙂

Can you remember the arguments? 🤪 

1 minute ago, jcza said:

Can you remember the arguments? 🤪 

Vaguely.... I think the metallurgist in me died many times during those "heated debates".