Current Bike Pricing vs. Value

JS Scott

6 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

I've been saying this for a while... The sport has just gone crazy... Particularly all things mtb related which generally attracts more wear and tear etc.

I've had a similar experience as mentioned above with warranties and I'm therefore on a dual sus with a decent spec that I definitely would not be able to replace on today's value. The bike is 7 years old and my intent is keep her for as long as possible.

Same goes with the road bike.

If you ever consider selling your bicycle for whatever reason, think very carefully because your re-entry back in the market will hit your pocket in a big way.

Very true, it's a seller's market at the moment. Everything bike related, even a decent pair of gloves will set you back a pretty penny more than it did a few months ago, never mind years. Best is to hang on to what you've got currently bike-wise. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I blame the cyclists for the prices that is skyrocketing because we still buy bikes, parts and apparel at these prices.

Please don't  shoot me for this comment.

You're right, but somehow the stuff still is selling our before it even lands in the country. Bikes are in such high demand right now that Shimano approached the 5 biggest bike brands (Scott, Giant etc) and said that if they want Shimano components on any of their 2024 bikes they need to place backorders. And the local bike shops get the scraps that are left. 

10 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

ti bikes are the future - rigid with v brakes and single speed 

bring on the revolution 

So…. you went to bishops?😅

correction:

STEEL SS bikes. we will go full circle 😇

i bought a refurbished 80s italian columbus slx steel road bike 2 years ago. It looks brand spanking new. Has some shimano 600 on it that also looks brand new still…with some mavic open pro wheels. I paid R6k for it on here when i got bike jacked…just so i could ride something.
When i got my stuff back i thought…meh, i guess i could sell it again, but I was already too emotionally attached to it. Its pretty.

now im glad i didn't because going by whats going on in the classifieds…it has to be worth close to x2 what i paid for it… and it’s almost as old as i am. i ride it in the rollers in the garage.

Edited by MORNE

28 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

At current market value I’ll take one kidney and your youth 

You can use that as a deposit to get someone to weld you on some sliding dropouts haha? Does anyone even weld titanium in SA??

A tensioner on that bike would look WRONG on so many levels. Thats why i bit the bullit and paid a bit extra on my current bike and got a frame with sliding dropouts. When the bike world goes to chit i can take my groupset off and run it singlespeed ala Lakukaracha style

Edited by MORNE

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Trek Top Fuel 7, last week R50k, went online this morning R55k, I think my 6 year old Scott Genius will have to go a bit longer, Now hunting for 11 speed parts at semi Decent prices. 

33 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Trek Top Fuel 7, last week R50k, went online this morning R55k, I think my 6 year old Scott Genius will have to go a bit longer, Now hunting for 11 speed parts at semi Decent prices. 

Two available in the classifieds

10 hours ago, JS Scott said:

You make a good point. Suppose Russian and Ukraine aren't helping, fuel hikes and everything that follows are probably next. I can only imagine the automotive industry right now. 

The Russia Ukraine war is putting further strain on the automotive industry as Ukraine is the largest producer of wiring harnesses for the automotive industry

ZAR is at same level as 2015 so it is not ZAR/USD rate resulting in higher prices. Transport costs are way higher and I'm not sure about duties. 

PS: Its not only cycling, check the price of golf clubs!! 

45 minutes ago, jcza said:

ZAR is at same level as 2015 so it is not ZAR/USD rate resulting in higher prices. Transport costs are way higher and I'm not sure about duties. 

PS: Its not only cycling, check the price of golf clubs!! 

transport costs have gone crazy. They are blaming container shortages on the supply side

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

So…. you went to bishops?😅

correction:

STEEL SS bikes. we will go full circle 😇

i bought a refurbished 80s italian columbus slx steel road bike 2 years ago. It looks brand spanking new. Has some shimano 600 on it that also looks brand new still…with some mavic open pro wheels. I paid R6k for it on here when i got bike jacked…just so i could ride something.
When i got my stuff back i thought…meh, i guess i could sell it again, but I was already too emotionally attached to it. Its pretty.

now im glad i didn't because going by whats going on in the classifieds…it has to be worth close to x2 what i paid for it… and it’s almost as old as i am. i ride it in the rollers in the garage.

full circle .... I better go buy that old three speed chopper from Mark ...

18 hours ago, M L said:

Hoe weet jy iemand was in Paul Roos?

Hy sê jou twee keer,

selfde soos Grey en Affies

Here is some insight from an importer of European machinery.

Pre covid: Manufactured steel (components) Euro 800.00/ton

1 year into covid Euro 1,600/ton

January 2020 = Euro 2,400.00/ton

Currently pre orders to secure product and availability = Euro 3,000.00/ton

Pre Covid cargo airfreight : Euro 2.40/kg

Currently at Euro 4.30/kg

Limited flights also

Shipping cost from China increased x 3 with huge delays (Ships and containers) 

And then, the middleman also has to take his cut. So I can tell you, things are not going to change any time soon

Shipping prices have gone through the roof. Before covid, it was about $1600 for a 40ft container.
It's been hovering closer to $12k-$15k for the same container for the last year. My suppliers in Europe say it went as high as $30k for a container from China to Europe and they ship many more containers that what we do.

Components/Groupsets are small, but there are thousands of them in a container.
Frames and wheels take up more space, so perhaps hundreds in a container rather than thousands

Then there's a shortage in supply and a higher demand, so it's a seller's market.

Off topic,
I bought butter last night at Checkers, R49.99 on special (providing you have their "loyalty" card. The everyday price is R64.95. If they can sell it for that special price, they are making margin, so why sell it for 30% more? It's a rhetorical question.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

transport costs have gone crazy. They are blaming container shortages on the supply side

container from China went from like USD 1500 to USD 10000 since CVD19

Financing of bicycles is contributing to the price increases. A grand a month is far easier to swallow than a 60 grand one off hit. But it costs you 90 in the long run. 

Supply and demand. Economics 101.