Power meter on your MTB?

Mamil

After running the AXS for a while on a new build, I added a qaurq spider power meter to my mtb recently. I do enjoy data though and now having it all in one place on the AXS app is pretty cool. It’s also allowed for better accuracy for FTP and VO2. While it does use some wizardry to work out left right balance (this was quite important to me as I have been working improving my weaker leg strength and pedalling technique after an ankle injury). I cannot say it made a huge difference while riding, but I do analyse quite a bit post ride. I would agree though, that a dual sided power meter on the road bike it probably makes more sense, so I am now sniffing around for one and presently leaning towards pedal based, if I can get passed the price tag…

I've had a PM on my MTB for 4 years now and on my road bikes for about 6.

I train more on my MTB in the week than my road bike because most of my racing is on the mtb.

I find it very useful, zones are not too difficult to adhere to generally if you set the head unit to display 10s ec power and instantaneous or 3s power. Also it more the normalised and average power I'm interested in and how power correlates to heart rate. I seldom look at it during a race, there's not time but post ride/race analysis is very useful if you know what you're looking for.

It won't matter much what type you opt for, but crank is the least vulnerable type of unit. Stages or other left side only are more than adequate because left right balance is of no consequence and is just a distraction. If you want to equalise your pedal stroke then an IDT or road bike on a smooth road is a better tool.

I'd recommend:

Stages

4iiii Precision

Power2Max NGeco

Quarq

Xcadey spider

Yes. I've found that it completes the picture when you ride road and mountain, definitely helps with TSS management, and post ride analysis (though there is an HRTSS score as well on Training Peaks). 

3 minutes ago, Mamil said:

.... And trigger pulled on 4iiii left crank.

Im a number nerd and 36one is coming.

NICE, your power curve will be super across short term and those long hrs.  I still have to go for a 4 and 5 hr ride (Maluti???) to get those data points!!

Hub based powermeter on my training bike, nothing on my race bike because who has time to monitor power during races anyway 🤪 (that's my story & I'm sticking to it). Anyway the hrtss that you get on TrainingPeaks when not using a powermeter is more or less on par with the effort.

Race Face Cinch power meter spindle have had mine for a few years now works well, no chance of rocks hitting it sits in your bb is your bb.

I have a 4iii on my Anthem and one my road bike. Was really useful when I was working to power, but my riding has been so infrequent since moving house last year, that I won't really look at power again until I'm riding properly again (hopefully soon). In hindsight, I haven't used the power meters to their full extent at all but am determined to rectify that this year, with a ride across the UK planned for end of May and a couple of other events later in the year. 

6 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

If you can afford them, Garmin Rally pedals. 

You don't need the dual side.  Single side pretty affordable considering that ones pay more that >R1k for tyres, > R2.5k for bibs, etc, etc.... 

Great comment everyone! PowerMeter does have its place and offer tremendous value to your riding. 

And the options available does make for some solutions to be offered to every budget. 

as a coach, I do have partnerships in place with a few companies, you are welcome to ask if you need info.