MTO Trails White river

madmarc

I'm going to White river for Easter and want to ride a few local trails - I see MTO white river trails but not much info on the web.

Anyone can give some more info

Where do i buy a day permit

Where do they start

Etc Etc

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Hi they awesome trails call Vaughn 0833107272 he runs the bike park for more info.

Awesome trails, basically a ring on district and forestry roads with a whole series of downhill single track between. Can easily do anywhere up to 60km. Single track mostly along water courses with patches of indigenous forest in amongst commercial plantation, lots of steep drop ins and roll throughs. 

As others have said can download the maps, low res overveiw here; http://wearewhiteriver.com/these-hills-are-made-for-cycling-mto-trails-white-river/

Payment is by QR code from boards at the start of the trails with Zapper etc  Can start from the Casterbridge center otherwise lots of people park and start from just after this https://goo.gl/maps/MTujwLtUz7DuxwxW6 gate in open space on the right, keep going north on this road and you will hit the trail boards.  Enjoy, there's some awesome single track?

Vaughn is in Namibia for now. You can contact Willie van Eck who is part of the MTO team on 081 503 4653 / 082 458 5359

I'd strongly recommend getting a map of some kind beforehand, the trails were very poorly marked last time I rode there. Did not meet a single rider who wasn't lost as well. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, madmarc said:

Thanx for all the responses - will let you know how it went 🤙

So how did you get on in White River?

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2022 at 4:05 PM, madmarc said:

Thanx for all the responses - will let you know how it went 🤙

And? 

Considering a trip up there in August for some riding but poorly marked trails boils my balls. 

Otherwide Karkloof it is. 

Use the trailforks app and you'll be sorted. There are lots a " separate"  sections that are marked, but not really full "courses" . Using Trailforks you can link up the various sections as you wish. The " sections"  are well marked, so that helps to confirm what you see on Trailforks. 

5 minutes ago, Kuys said:

Use the trailforks app and you'll be sorted. There are lots a " separate"  sections that are marked, but not really full "courses" . Using Trailforks you can link up the various sections as you wish. The " sections"  are well marked, so that helps to confirm what you see on Trailforks. 

Normally use it but it isn’t always that accurate. 

Best marked trail I’ve ever ridden was MTO Cairnbrogie. I guess they all aren’t the same in terms of upkeep. 

Plan is to do Lowveld MTO, Tranquilitas, and Mankele while we are up there. 

On 5/17/2022 at 11:17 AM, geomark said:

So how did you get on in White River?

23 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

And? 

Considering a trip up there in August for some riding but poorly marked trails boils my balls. 

Otherwide Karkloof it is. 

Oops yes - thanx for the reminder - very rude of me not give a report back.

So initially i decided to take a drive to the trailhead which is basically up the R40 towards Hazyview - You turn left onto sand road and drive down past Klipkopjie dam wall up the other side and you come out at what looks like a wood mill keep going past and then you see the MTO sign - turn left through the gate you in the parking area - there is what looks like a bit of a coffee shop at the parking area but it was all closed - parking area is behind a fence and security gate which was open with no security

In the parking area they have big boards with maps showing the trails and how they marked - So you choose which one and follow that trails color markings. You pay by downloading the MTO app and use your cr card to pay for a day permit - the permit is on your phone in case anyone on the trails ask for it.

We ended up riding with one of the locals but started where all the locals start which is in Drakensberg str White river, just before it becomes a sand road they park on the side and ride from there - in the blue circle

We rode basically on the sand roads through the forest plantations and jumped off and onto the single track MTO trails all the way to other side of Klipkopjie dam and looped round to come back.

The more popular trails are fairly well maintained and well ridden some of the unpopular trails need a bit of TLC but perfectly rideable.

The trails are awesome and hectic in some places so take your climbing legs.

The trails are basically open with entry exit points off the public road - so i hazard a lot of people ride without buying a day permit, but don't be a box, be lekka and pay for a day permit its the right thing to do.

image.png.3904619fdf6c706a633fcd146a79b36d.png

Here is the link to my strava ride - And yes I did bale twice and bled through my eyes coming back  

https://www.strava.com/activities/6990457420

Edited by madmarc

On 7/6/2022 at 8:41 PM, Steady Spin said:

Normally use it but it isn’t always that accurate. 

Best marked trail I’ve ever ridden was MTO Cairnbrogie. I guess they all aren’t the same in terms of upkeep. 

Plan is to do Lowveld MTO, Tranquilitas, and Mankele while we are up there. 

Check with Mankele before you go there. The new owners doesnt appear to be that much into MTB. I was there about a year ago and only some of the lower trails were open, none of the old cool stuff was open. Maybe it changed since then, but I doubt. 

12 hours ago, madmarc said:

So initially i decided to take a drive to the trailhead which is basically up the R40 towards Hazyview - You turn left onto sand road and drive down past Klipkopjie dam wall up the other side and you come out at what looks like a wood mill keep going past and then you see the MTO sign - turn left through the gate you in the parking area - there is what looks like a bit of a coffee shop at the parking area but it was all closed - parking area is behind a fence and security gate which was open with no security

In the parking area they have big boards with maps showing the trails and how they marked - So you choose which one and follow that trails color markings. You pay by downloading the MTO app and use your cr card to pay for a day permit - the permit is on your phone in case anyone on the trails ask for it.

We ended up riding with one of the locals but started where all the locals start which is in Drakensberg str White river, just before it becomes a sand road they park on the side and ride from there - in the blue circle

We rode basically on the sand roads through the forest plantations and jumped off and onto the single track MTO trails all the way to other side of Klipkopjie dam and looped round to come back.

The more popular trails are fairly well maintained and well ridden some of the unpopular trails need a bit of TLC but perfectly rideable.

The trails are basically open with entry exit points off the public road - so i hazard a lot of people ride without buying a day permit, but don't be a box, be lekka and pay for a day permit its the right thing to do.

Here is the link to my strava ride - And yes I did bale twice and bled through my eyes coming back  

Great feedback! Thanks. 

Strava link is dead. 

21 hours ago, madmarc said:

🤣 glad you enjoyed