GPS tracker tag for stolen bike

Stephan

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Good to Have a Tracker for Safety and Security Reasons but If my Bikes get Stolen I don't want them back. (They are quite worn, both of them).

It could be helpful for the police to catch the crooks.

Edited by dasilvarsa

On 5/27/2023 at 7:24 PM, dasilvarsa said:

It could be helpful for the police to catch the crooks.

This would be the only reason I would consider one. 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

This would be the only reason I would consider one. 

and shut the door on bike theft....or, at least, make a dent?

36 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

bike theft wont stop, but these F&$ers that attack cyclists need to be dealt with.

1 hour ago, Blahblah said:

GPS trackers have been available on cars for 25+ years now. The hardware costs well under R300 per unit.

doesn't seem to have made a dent in car theft. Now that some bikes costs the same as a car it is the same playground!

has it been in anyone's interest to rid us of the scourge / is there a desire to maintain equilibrium, rather? (like, how many cars are replaced by insurers in a year?)

5 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

bike theft wont stop, but these F&$ers that attack cyclists need to be dealt with.

how do we do that? 

I have driven through a few township areas recently and seen the continuous train of bicycle commuters out of mamelodi. I have yet to see a top end mtb or road bike there. You see a few which definitely look like a worker given an old hardtail or 26inch bike which I can appreciate. We have a farm worker on a momsen hardtail that was the mrs old bike. I still think this is mostly driven by demand for affordable high end bikes and parts. I often wonder how many are buying bikes and parts for dirt cheap knowing there are high chances of it being stolen...

14 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I have driven through a few township areas recently and seen the continuous train of bicycle commuters out of mamelodi. I have yet to see a top end mtb or road bike there. You see a few which definitely look like a worker given an old hardtail or 26inch bike which I can appreciate. We have a farm worker on a momsen hardtail that was the mrs old bike. I still think this is mostly driven by demand for affordable high end bikes and parts. I often wonder how many are buying bikes and parts for dirt cheap knowing there are high chances of it being stolen...

let's go see where the higher-end goes....I agree that it's not a smalltime matter.....it's a phenomenal asset class to thieve

I think a micro dot type system might be a better way of tracking the parts and possibly where they end up. It could potentially enable one to back track to the supplier of stolen parts.

• 3 months later...

I borrowed a hotel commuter bicycle whilst on holiday and my android phone alerted me that I was being tracked/stalked! It had a option to play a chime so I could easily find the Apple air tag was hidden under the seat. Not great if I had stolen the bike

14 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

...could easily find the Apple air tag was hidden under the seat. Not great if I had stolen the bike

I wonder, where should one place a tracker on a bike?

3 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

I wonder, where should one place a tracker on a bike?

It doesn't matter with an airtag, you can find it with a chime