Bib Shorts for Marathon/Long Rides

figjam_sa

Hi guys! So I'm doing my first 2-day event next month and another 100km one day event in the winter. 

I do about 100km per week and it doesn't feel as if I get "saddle fit". Using the Ciovita Corsa 2.0 and I also have a Ciovita Supremo. The latter is definitely better for longer distances but I still get "gat-lam" after 2 hours. It is a Specialized Power saddle with the correct width for me. 

So I'm thinking about the following:

Assos Mille GT

Ciovita Apex

And then the whole lot of Santini Bib shorts that Cycle Lab/CWC sells:

Cubo, Mago, Karma Delta, Gara

I don't really get reviews of the Santini Bib Shorts, anyone that have some experience with the above mentioned Bib shorts?

Thanks!

I'm using the Indola Girona bibs and they work really well on rides of 6h plus.  Good quality, well priced and local.

Santini and Assos are both upper end shorts, but fit is a very personal thing.

100km per week doesn't sound like a whole lot of time in the saddle 🤷‍♂️ (type of riding and terrain obviously plays a role) and that could be contributing largely to your discomfort rather than the shorts you're using.

You mention "gat-lam" but keep in mind that "harde-gat" comes with time. 🙈

Edited by Thomo

don't get dragged down by these comments - 100km a week is plenty mileage if you average that over a year - over 5000km, more than most cyclists do, especially if you do other sport or gym.  And if you are riding a MTB that's at least 5 hours a week, again more hours than most people spend exercising and plenty enough time to toughen up your bum

Your question was about bibs.  Always a personal choice but if money isn't an issue, the general consensus is Assos are tops - they do a mtb specific bib which is bulletproof and I have found their sizing to be more consistent than most

My only concern would be the saddle choice  - if it feels comfy then great, if not, the bib won't help

Good luck and enjoy your events

100km a week doesn't mean anything, if you ride on the flat on a road bike with your race wheels or if you ride in the alps with 6000m elevation per week the amount of hours will vary a lot.

You mention marathon races, if your training is only on the MTB with a fair amount of climbing 100km/week isn't bad at all.

Anyways, I find when it comes to comfort on the bike I'm no longer looking for the thickest padding possible anymore, but more for the hardest flattest and more importantly for the one that doesn't move. Also I find that the use of camelback for examples makes my bum sore as it adds a little bit more weight on it. And try when you can to stand on the climbs but pacing your watts the goal isn't to go harder and burn yourself but to use a different muscle group AND rest your bum in the process

I have the Power Arc saddle on my road bike & nothing else seemed to work. However, on my MTB I have the now 9 year old saddle that the bike came with. Very comfortable.

The difference that I have seen between the two saddles, the power seems to have one spot that is comfortable, and I need the lower back flexibility to match that position. The generic Scott saddle seems to be comfortable pretty much all over. The Phenom & Romin saddles don't have such a wide flare at the back, which is similar to my Scott saddle. I would try something with a similar shape to these.

I am comfortable on my MTB for 4.5 hours without a problem. I am doing the Race to the Sun next month, so i am sure to find out if my comments are valid.😁

1 hour ago, figjam_sa said:

Hi guys! So I'm doing my first 2-day event next month and another 100km one day event in the winter. 

I do about 100km per week and it doesn't feel as if I get "saddle fit". Using the Ciovita Corsa 2.0 and I also have a Ciovita Supremo. The latter is definitely better for longer distances but I still get "gat-lam" after 2 hours. It is a Specialized Power saddle with the correct width for me. 

So I'm thinking about the following:

Assos Mille GT

Ciovita Apex

And then the whole lot of Santini Bib shorts that Cycle Lab/CWC sells:

Cubo, Mago, Karma Delta, Gara

I don't really get reviews of the Santini Bib Shorts, anyone that have some experience with the above mentioned Bib shorts?

Thanks!

Uhm  ..... Ciovita CORSA ....

I could not get saddle fit .... even got a new saddle .... then found the "thin side padding" of the Corsa was rolling in and causing the discomfort. :cursing:

Once I realised what it was I literally stopped every 10km, and pulled out the rolled-up section.  Obviously a schlep, but the next 3 hours to get home was pain-less.

Elcheapo First Accent cycling pants and I have no issues after 6 hour rides.

PS - I dropped off the CORSA at Ciovita.  They have been VERY HELPFUL thus far, and will get back to me about the way forward

PPS - If you want to try go the route of another saddle.  The Selle Italia saddle is very nice.  But if the bib is the issue no saddle will work

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

PPS - If you want to try go the route of another saddle.  The Selle Italia saddle is very nice.  But if the bib is the issue no saddle will work

Converse is also true... if the saddle is the issue, no bibs will help

What angle is the power saddle at? You need the nose to be level, not the entire saddle, as it flares up a bit at the back (that’s been my experience at least) 

I have power saddles on my gravel/road & mtb bike. The power saddles took a while to find the perfect spot on each of them . I use a digital level on phone to get it spot on. I can't ride anything else than the 155 power saddle. And they are the older ones as well l

As for bibs ,use ciovita . Corsa & supremo, the latter is the best bib I own. Also have road & mtb Assos , a Poc a mavic and I can tell you the supremo is brilliant.  Although I think the best thing I did was buy a med rather than a large and it’s a proper snug fit. I am 6 ft. The Assos rallye is a phenomenal piece of kit for gravel and mtb riding. The thigh pads have saved me twice .

Although if your saddle is not for you or tilted correctly,no bib will work as designed. Time in the saddle is obviously invaluable but not as crucial as correct saddle.

Just my take though.

3 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

don't get dragged down by these comments - 100km a week is plenty mileage if you average that over a year - over 5000km, more than most cyclists do, especially if you do other sport or gym.  And if you are riding a MTB that's at least 5 hours a week, again more hours than most people spend exercising and plenty enough time to toughen up your bum

Your question was about bibs.  Always a personal choice but if money isn't an issue, the general consensus is Assos are tops - they do a mtb specific bib which is bulletproof and I have found their sizing to be more consistent than most

My only concern would be the saddle choice  - if it feels comfy then great, if not, the bib won't help

Good luck and enjoy your events

+1

Ok, I'm going to try and answer most of the suggestions.....

Previous saddles (on older bikes) were a Silverback Saddle - long saddle, hated it. Scott Belcara Saddle, struggled almost a year until I played a lot with the angle and it got much better when just tilted close to 1 degree forward. The Power saddle is definitely better than both of those saddles for me. Leveling it is quite interesting as it curves.. I will try and change the angle thanks. 

I get pain on the inside of my right leg under my sitbone/top of hamstring/groin.  I have been wondering if the Arc models could possibly help...

I have never tried a Phenom Saddle. 

At the moment my training is split between indoor and outside on the road. But I do ride a mtb. So 4-5 hours per week. All depends on how much time I have the given ride. 3-4 times per week. This will pick up the upcoming weeks if I get the time. 

My Ciovita bibs are both Medium. I can't go smaller than that. So would possibly be a large in some of the Italian brands??

No camelbak and I got fitted for my bike. 

Back to the bibs.... No one with any of those Santini models? Ciovita Apex?

I find these Castelli shorts really good:

https://www.castelli.co.za/collections/bottoms-mens/products/castelli-unlimited-all-surface-bib-short-2021-black

or

https://www.castelli.co.za/collections/bottoms-mens/products/castelli-competizione-bib-short-2020-2021

Ironically the less expensive ones with the KISS AIR shamy are more comfortable than their top end larny versions. One just has to size up. Their sizing is usually quite small. Not really made for Real South African Men.

Edited by Baracuda