Raleigh Terra?

Lord Catapult

Hi. 
I want to by a affordable Gravel Bike, for two reasons.

To use on a bike trainer mostly, but also to take outside on some dirt every now and then.

I saw the new Raleigh Terra gravel bike at Makro, and it looks intriguing…especially at R6999.00.

Please any thoughts

9BDA9FDE-A9B7-4BC5-A941-06DC32BFC722.jpeg

3 hours ago, Lord Catapult said:

Hi. 

To use on a bike trainer mostly, but also to take outside on some dirt every now and then.

I saw the new Raleigh Terra gravel bike at Makro, and it looks intriguing…especially at R6999.00.

Please any thoughts

Go stand over the bike, lower the saddle.  Hold the saddle in place with your legs ... now move the bars side to side, checking for frame flex ...

Last Makro bike I looked at was "flimzy" to put it mildly ...😵

In this price range a second hand bike offers much more value

Wouldn't touch a Makro bike

As mentioned, rather look 2nd hand or at other alternatives

9 hours ago, Lord Catapult said:

Hi. 

Please any thoughts

the 14speed rear derailleur should answer all suspicions you might have had

For the money it doesn't seem that bad, the problem though is the assembly, I doubt there's much finesse or initiative when these are assembled. Especially if you're a rider with any kind of experience. So you end up spending more time/money giving it a once over with a rebuild, or risking a costly repair. Speaking from experience where I've had to assist people with basic kid's bikes. 

Reckon Rook, Avalanche or second hand may be more favourable overall. 

12 hours ago, Lord Catapult said:

Hi. 

Please any thoughts

Long answer: don't do it.

Short answer: no.

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

the 14speed rear derailleur should answer all suspicions you might have had

2x14 don't mess with Microshift....ahead of the game. Lol

Nothing wrong with Microshift, they have some quality products. But just like Shimano, they also have some crap, entry stuff and I suspect that for a R7k bike, that entry stuff is there 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:43 PM, Trevz said:

2x14 don't mess with Microshift....ahead of the game. Lol

• 1 year later...

I'm new to gravel biking and recently took part with my mountain bike and regretted using it when those gravel bikes flew past me.

I've personally bought this brand new at R3999 simply because I'll probably  only use it once a year I'm not into road/gravel biking and found this bike to be exactly what I want from this type of bike, it's very lightweight, feels agile and yes I am considering getting a better quality group set but I honestly don't see anything wrong with it but of course keep bashing guys I like the negative reviews it's making this lovely bike cheaper and cheaper 😊