Titan Racing Pro vs Scott Spark 940

Darryl Pentz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

We update it as bikes arrive in the country. So whatever is showing, is (or was!) in stock with dealers. We're landing more stock every month.

Super GIFs | Tenor

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Where is the Cypher Frame Manufactured ?

the South East Asia.

I believe they use factories in Taiwan and China

On 6/3/2022 at 8:52 AM, dave303e said:

When it comes to riding the camelbak effect is a real thing. If you have 2 bottles on the bike and a handful of tools/bars in your pocket you pack carefully due to space limitations. As soon as you have a camelbak with lots of space you will guaranteed pack things you would not have carried if you only had pockets. Like a car boot on a holiday- 10 people on holiday in a Corsa and the boot will be full. 2 people in a minivan and you will no doubt take a whole bunch of extra unnecessary stuff for just in case and have a full boot.

I challenge most that ride with a camelbak, take every single thing out of it and tell me how many extra's you don't really need. Apart from filling a 3l bladder when you only need 2 x 750ml bottles. And most with a camelbak of sorts will also have a bottle anyway.

You can put 2, 3 or 4 Water Bottles on any Bike with Aftermarket Gizmos

20220605_151406.jpg

Edited by dasilvarsa

41 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

20220605_151406.jpg

It would appear there's a lot of bike trekking, overnighting and picnicking going on amongst the hubbers 🤪 

On 6/4/2022 at 4:29 PM, dasilvarsa said:

Where is the Cypher Frame Manufactured ?

Taiwan, their own mould. The design and development team (Forge) is in Durbanville. Lead/head designer actually worked for Pyga for some time and was based in the Csixx offices. 

On 6/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, Darryl Pentz said:

Ja thanks @BaGearA I hear you. I'm a weird build. I'm 179cm, but I've got short legs and a long body. The M felt very crammed on the Cypher RS Team. I absolutely won't buy an XL if it's not right for me though.

the XL is ABSOLUTELY not right for you...

14 hours ago, guidodg said:

the XL is ABSOLUTELY not right for you...

Agreed. I test rode one at Bike Addict and it was definitely too big. Interestingly the L frame of the Titan Racing frame has the same TTL as the M frame of the Scott Spark. So you do have to know your size before buying. The L frame of the Titan Racing seems to be my sweet spot.

17 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

20220605_151406.jpg

But why? Especially when(if that is what you need/want) you can just get a great bike that has space for 2 in the most simple, and effective way.

That add on in picture will rub the frame where it is strapped on, is also impractical to reach when riding. Put a water bottle there and it will be covered in everything the front tire kicks up(good luck with the sewerage leaks on the spruit). For a tool kit, yup great option that is out the way( a lyne holy rail would also work)

Same goes for a seatpost bottle cage- you lose the chance to put a tool bag under the seat, or a tow rope or the ability to run a dropper.

I used to run a feedbag next to the stem for an extra bottle. But it also wasn't as simple and practical as a well designed frame that can take 2 bottle cages.

There are many great frame options that have 2 bottle cages, it is also not required for many. If I was just riding for fun or only doing events where I knew I could resupply every hour or 2 then 1 bottle cage would be perfect. But horses for courses and make shift addons were just not cutting it.

25 minutes ago, dave303e said:

But why? Especially when(if that is what you need/want) you can just get a great bike that has space for 2 in the most simple, and effective way.

That add on in picture will rub the frame where it is strapped on, is also impractical to reach when riding. Put a water bottle there and it will be covered in everything the front tire kicks up(good luck with the sewerage leaks on the spruit). For a tool kit, yup great option that is out the way( a lyne holy rail would also work)

Same goes for a seatpost bottle cage- you lose the chance to put a tool bag under the seat, or a tow rope or the ability to run a dropper.

I used to run a feedbag next to the stem for an extra bottle. But it also wasn't as simple and practical as a well designed frame that can take 2 bottle cages.

There are many great frame options that have 2 bottle cages, it is also not required for many. If I was just riding for fun or only doing events where I knew I could resupply every hour or 2 then 1 bottle cage would be perfect. But horses for courses and make shift addons were just not cutting it.

Yep, agree with @dave303e here. This is what was pointed out to me by a few of the store assistants I spoke to.

You're putting stresses on a carbon frame that it wasn't designed for. In addition, the Holy Rail is problematic because you're also now putting double the weight on 2 pins that are designed to hold one bottle weight, and those pins can come loose. The guys at Hanger Bike Co made this point as something they've seen from time to time.

2 hours ago, Darryl Pentz said:

Agreed. I test rode one at Bike Addict and it was definitely too big. Interestingly the L frame of the Titan Racing frame has the same TTL as the M frame of the Scott Spark. So you do have to know your size before buying. The L frame of the Titan Racing seems to be my sweet spot.

And … the L Cyoher takes 2 x 750 ml water bottles where’s the Spark medium takes. 500ml on the seat tube and a 750ml on the downtube unless I am very much mistaken 

• 1 month later...

Just to report back on this thread. Given stock shortages across all brands, I eventually got the Titan Racing Cypher Carbon Pro. It's a great bike, and while there was an issue with the rear shock, TR sorted it out for me with a very nice upgrade replacement, and I'm very pleased with the bike given the price and the spec of components. I did get Bike Addict to upgrade the brakes from SRAM TL to SRAM TLM.

7FAD81E4-1F71-4519-A596-00C47A9EDD9A.jpeg

C631702E-EE5D-4E2A-9904-466AE0FC1FCF.jpeg

4ACE24CD-B86E-417E-B6B4-430901B3A882.jpeg

C4CFB191-5362-40B8-B0AD-2E074D6BCB19.jpeg

32682018-86BC-458A-864E-FCFA40F31658.jpeg

EB16E9BC-31AE-4228-827D-CA13C5FBB583.jpeg