Self defence when cycling (and other sports)

roodie

On 6/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jewbacca said:

We call it 'spicy Gravel' and we do it on road bikes. 

The section that has the gate in the middle and then climbs up to the mossy red brick paving. We pop out the boom, head up towards the restaurant gates then hang a left to join the top of suikerbossie. It's very rideable on road bikes. 

Descend suikerbossie and head on to chappies. Job done

Did this today  -  sweet.

It is not the same one as it was many years ago but I like it and it feels like a breeze. Will become a regular. Do not like the section from the circle at the nursery to about 100m past the traffic lights.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/15/2022 at 5:31 PM, roodie said:

After I was bikejacked by 4 guys and knifes in the middle of the day on Marine drive  coming of the N1 on a Sat morning 1130 in traffic, I decided it's time to make sure I can at least defend myself. Coming from law enforcement and understanding the consequences of using a gun and the impracticality of it I did some research as a gun is not an option for me.
My conclusion was the following.
There are so many different scenarios that u can find yourself in and the BEST form of defence is to make space between yourself and your attacker as fast as possible. That worked for me on the day and I got away with my life and (lucky enough my bike) 
But if I was a second or 2 later I would have been on top of them and the situation would have looked very different and I had no way of defending myself at all.
Every person is different and from a safety perspective everyone will respond different but I had to arm myself for the possibility that I may well be faced with a knife or a gun.
Ultimately I just wanted some level of safety and also not just a single item or way of defence.
It had to be something that can cause injury and also something I could carry on me comfortably as well as hidden out of site but easy to get to.
So I made myself a defence whip and this gives me some reach in case of a knife attacker and is also "manual" in a sense and failsafe to some extend. It will cause some serious pain when it hit a target.
My second item is a knife and what I realized when they attacked me is that whatever defence I need must be on my body so that if I am on the ground I can access these items
to defend myself in case an attacker is using a weapon like a knife.
I am sharing so that other are also aware ( I know we all are in SA) and in 10 years it's the first time it happened to me,but it did and I know many are not as fortunate and some pay with serious injuries or even death. 
This apply to not just cycle but any outdoors sport or just normal life. 
I also had to think about the reality of using these items and a good idea to practice deploying them in different scenarios. 
I add some pictures for reference. The items are light and the belt I am using is super comfortable and carry both weapons with ease and within reach.

IMG-20220615-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220615-WA0011.jpg

DM me if you want one ill make them on request 

• 4 weeks later...

A close encounter. 

I routinely move off the cycle path or pavement when two or more pedestrians approach while I’m on the way to trails. This morning around a bend on the cycle path, too late I saw them drawing knives.

Two hard pedal strokes, late swerve, hit the thug on the left with my right shoulder and arm.  

Luckily all three of them were smaller and I still resemble that eighth-man that I was decades ago, so when I dropped my shoulder into the thug’s head he went flying.  I veered off the path and only just prevented falling, stopping maybe 8 metres past them.   When I looked back the thug was face down on the concrete cycle path.  Shouted “T-S-E-K!!!”, laughed and pedaled away.  Further away I looked back and the poor guy was still lying motionless.  

Am I allowed to say I enjoyed decking someone who attacked me? I absolutely did.  Let’s hope they’re permanently put off trying to tackle cyclists.

Edited by justinafrika

37 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

A close encounter. 

I routinely move off the cycle path or pavement when two or more pedestrians approach while I’m on the way to trails. This morning around a bend on the cycle path, too late I saw them drawing knives.

Two hard pedal strokes, late swerve, hit the thug on the left with my right shoulder and arm.  

Luckily all three of them were smaller and I still resemble that eighth-man that I was decades ago, so when I dropped my shoulder into the thug he went flying.  I veered off the path and only just prevented falling, stopping maybe 8 metres past them.   When I looked back the thug was face down on the concrete cycle path.  Shouted “T-S-E-K!!!”, laughed and pedaled away.  Further away I looked back and the poor guy was still lying motionless.  

Am I allowed to say I enjoyed it? I absolutely did.  Let’s hope they’re permanently put off trying to tackle cyclists.

Yes you flippen can ! 

On 7/16/2022 at 5:21 PM, justinafrika said:

A close encounter. 

Luckily all three of them were smaller and I still resemble that eighth-man that I was decades ago, so when I dropped my shoulder into the thug’s head he went flying.  I veered off the path and only just prevented falling, stopping maybe 8 metres past them.   When I looked back the thug was face down on the concrete cycle path.  Shouted “T-S-E-K!!!”, laughed and pedaled away.  Further away I looked back and the poor guy was still lying motionless.  

Am I allowed to say I enjoyed decking someone who attacked me? I absolutely did.  Let’s hope they’re permanently put off trying to tackle cyclists.

Sorry to hear this was even necessary. Glad to hear you came away unscathed. Which cycle path did this occur on?

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sorry to hear this was even necessary. Glad to hear you came away unscathed. Which cycle path did this occur on?

Near home, after turning from Fordyce downhill into 9th Ave, Walmer on the way to Baakens Valley trails.  A friend’s father was bikejacked right outside my home about 10 years ago and I’m always 360° vigilant (edit: and not anxious about it).  

Shoulder’s not in actual pain, from when I hit his head, but it still has a warm “glow”.  Lekker.  🤣

Edited by justinafrika

6 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

Near home, after turning from Fordyce downhill into 9th Ave, Walmer on the way to Baakens Valley trails.  A friend’s father was bikejacked right outside my home about 10 years ago and I’m always 360° vigilant (edit: and not anxious about it).  

Shoulder’s not in actual pain but it still has a warm “glow”.  Lekker.  🤣

I assume you used your "afstamp arm" aka "die bus is vol"

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jewbacca said:

We call it 'spicy Gravel' and we do it on road bikes. 

The section that has the gate in the middle and then climbs up to the mossy red brick paving. We pop out the boom, head up towards the restaurant gates then hang a left to join the top of suikerbossie. It's very rideable on road bikes. 

Descend suikerbossie and head on to chappies. Job done

Hey, from the big smoke and keen to understand this detour, as we want to ride the route this weekend, did look on the map to try figure it out, but not getting it. Could you elaborate or better yet, draw a picture for us geographically challenged folks please, would be most grateful. 

5 minutes ago, Murrob said:

Hey, from the big smoke and keen to understand this detour, as we want to ride the route this weekend, did look on the map to try figure it out, but not getting it. Could you elaborate or better yet, draw a picture for us geographically challenged folks please, would be most grateful. 

Turn up at the world of birds from Valley road. The road goes up.... Stay left on the tar and go straight up. 

The top of the road becomes the red brick pave, go right again at the 'V' split there. You head up to a gate. Ring the bell, keep going up up up and you will exit out the booms and be on Suikerbossie!

43 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Turn up at the world of birds from Valley road. The road goes up.... Stay left on the tar and go straight up. 

The top of the road becomes the red brick pave, go right again at the 'V' split there. You head up to a gate. Ring the bell, keep going up up up and you will exit out the booms and be on Suikerbossie!

Thank you. Much appreciated, coffee on me if we ever meet. Cheers M