Western Cape enduro is back!

PhilipV

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

Everyone was asking “what branch” when i told them i got into a fight with a tree on red phoenix and fell lol. Got up to smash the little uphill and got clobbered off my bike by this right here. Hit me in the head. #tallPeopleProblems. 

12CCD788-37CB-449F-A1F7-5FE4C05E1965.jpeg

I remember passing under that branch thinking it was a sniper. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, MORNE said:

Everyone was asking “what branch” when i told them i got into a fight with a tree on red phoenix and fell lol. Got up to smash the little uphill and got clobbered off my bike by this right here. Hit me in the head. #tallPeopleProblems. 

12CCD788-37CB-449F-A1F7-5FE4C05E1965.jpeg

what branch?

I had forgotten to put my goggles on on Red Phoenix, realized that about 5 seconds into the stage! Since there's nowhere to take your hands off the bars on an enduro stage that little climb was my only option! So I popped my seat up right about there, and pulled them Goggles down - smudging my vision nicely in the process. Perhaps that was the secret 😁.From there on It was back to party mode, but bikes and slower riders scattered all the way down the trail, must have passed about 7 guys. Most moved out the way reasonably quickly.

PS, has anyone seen a spreadsheet style result list From Sunday anywhere. Its hard to make out who raced in what cat? 

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I remember passing under that branch thinking it was a sniper. 

on Thursday when i first rode the trail blind i didn't know about the uphill bit there so was still low on the bike when i got there and never even saw it. The low light through that part in the "forest" also doesn't help. Well i know it's there now i guess 😁 

15 minutes ago, wolver said:

Yes, I've seen that, thank you :) But there so many cats mixes together It would be nice If one knew what they were. For instance, Ebikes, love them or hate them should they be in the same overall results? In the passed they uploaded a spreadsheet for all to download, with stage times etc just wondered if anyone has seen something.

I am still blown away by guys like Johan Van Zyl who ended up 14th, beat me by more than a minute. Wonder how well he even knew the tracks. 4 inches. light bike, sure, fit heck yes, but skills by the buckets as well. Luke Moir, had a flat which cost him a lot of time, but he was also on a 120mm bike. However, not on paper thin XC tires. 

Photo curtesy of off Bike network

photos and results from the sram western cape enduro mountain bike race held in jonkershoek stellenbosch on the 25th of september 2022 as published by myles kelsey of bike network

5 minutes ago, Bos said:

Yes, I've seen that, thank you :) But there so many cats mixes together It would be nice If one knew what they were. For instance, Ebikes, love them or hate them should they be in the same overall results? In the passed they uploaded a spreadsheet for all to download, with stage times etc just wondered if anyone has seen something.

I am still blown away by guys like Johan Van Zyl who ended up 14th, beat me by more than a minute. Wonder how well he even knew the tracks. 4 inches. light bike, sure, fit heck yes, but skills by the buckets as well. Luke Moir, had a flat which cost him a lot of time, but he was also on a 120mm bike. However, not on paper thin XC tires. 

Photo curtesy of off Bike network

photos and results from the sram western cape enduro mountain bike race held in jonkershoek stellenbosch on the 25th of september 2022 as published by myles kelsey of bike network

Yes the results format is a bit odd. 

Re: your ebike comment... I don't feel like being on an ebike is that much of an advantage, not much pedalling going down those stages. It's definitely an advantage, but not enough to offset the lack of talent.  Maybe I'm biased 'cos I was on one though?

1 minute ago, wolver said:

Re: your ebike comment... I don't feel like being on an ebike is that much of an advantage, not much pedalling going down those stages. It's definitely an advantage, but not enough to offset the lack of talent.  Maybe I'm biased 'cos I was on one though?

Look, This could spark a whole big thing, which is not my intent. Its just an example. I think the formatting with color scales is a nice touch. I was just wondering if there was another results sheet released. I'm sure we could ask Dan for it.

With regards to the e-bikes, I'm just going to let it rest as I don't want to take away from a great event and start a side track about e-bikes vs acoustics. 🍻 Cheers

2 hours ago, wolver said:

2 hours ago, Bos said:

Look, This could spark a whole big thing, which is not my intent. Its just an example. I think the formatting with color scales is a nice touch. I was just wondering if there was another results sheet released. I'm sure we could ask Dan for it.

With regards to the e-bikes, I'm just going to let it rest as I don't want to take away from a great event and start a side track about e-bikes vs acoustics. 🍻 Cheers

I also don't care at all, it didnt even cross my mind at any stage… but ill play devils advocate for a moment based on my first enduro experience and what i saw around me at the slow end. 

One problem myself - as well some other people seemingly struggled with was leg fatigue going DOWN in the last stages. Yes part of an enduro is you dont get timed on the ups, but riding a 16kg bike up there a few times with your own legs for sure puts you at a slight disadvantage when your quads etc are toast and start burning when you assume the ready/attack position going down.  

Im a relatively good climber (way better than descending at this stage haha) and didnt complain about the ups that much…although long travel bikes are pigs uphill.
But dropping into armageddon i felt like I did 500 dead lifts at that stage. couldn't use my lead leg properly anymore without wanting to sit on the saddle at every chance for a break.  It was burning propper by then.

edit: and I SS too, so my legs arent strangers to mashing and burning in that regard. But its like this unlocked a whole new muscle group i never knew  I had.

I think thats where an ebike advantage probably/ arguably comes in….less muscle fatigue on the downs because you didn't use them as much going up. And since you only get timed on the downs….there in lies the debate imo😅

Edited by MORNE

Ps: ill definitely walk or hike-a-bike more going forward to save some legs for the stages.

Edited by MORNE

Hi Guys, Not sure why you don't have the official results yet as I 've sent them to the organiser on Sunday evening already. 

Edited by iRide