Prevent feet from slipping off pedals?

Jaz

First off, I'm not a super serious rider. I enjoy the trails simply to get out and ride in nature. 
My problem is that my feet keep jumping off the pedals when I'm going downhill in rough terrain, or doing small jumps. I have wider aftermarket pedals with metal nubs that improved lateral grip by miles. Yet I struggle to keep my feet on the pedal when jumping. 

How do I fix this?  

28 minutes ago, Jaz said:

First off, I'm not a super serious rider. I enjoy the trails simply to get out and ride in nature. 
My problem is that my feet keep jumping off the pedals when I'm going downhill in rough terrain, or doing small jumps. I have wider aftermarket pedals with metal nubs that improved lateral grip by miles. Yet I struggle to keep my feet on the pedal when jumping. 

How do I fix this?  

Just get clipless (clip-in) pedals and shoes, problem solved.

Bring on the sticks & stones you flat pedal lovers .... 🤪😂🙈

36 minutes ago, Jaz said:

How do I fix this?  

You dont say what pedals you have, but flat pedals differ greatly as to how much grip they offer, and then also the shoes you have will have an effect on how much grip you have, and then on top of that, shoe pedal combo's can also play a role, some pedals just work better with certain shoes, it all makes a difference.

Then you add body position, foot position on the pedal, it all makes a difference....

Try moving your foot to different positions on the pedal, feel what works best for you, most people find it best to get the middle of the pedal near the middle of their foot, I like having the middle of the pedal near the middle of the ball of my foot, it helps me drop my heels more and put more weight into the pedals, but that is just me.

Finding the best pedal shoe combo is probably the easiest way to get more grip, but also the most expensive 

Shoes shoes shoes. Paired with a flat pedal with metal pins. 

Foot position is also key with the pedal more towards the middle of the foot.

My recommendation for shoes will always be 5.10 but it is an absolute pain to get in SA. 
Second would be Ride Concepts. Good fit and great grip. 

What worked for me was a pair of Specialized 2fo Roost flat pedal shoes. I find then comfortable and grippy enough. Paired with Burgtec MK5s they are a dream pair. I recently rode on plain old cage pedals with the 2fo Roosts and my feet felt planted enough!

Would honestly say, the best investment ive made while riding flats is proper technique. Its all technique, I am able to bunny hop nearly as high with normal Shimano SPDs and crocs, as with my flat pedals and shoes. You dont need your feet stuck to your pedals. Personally would check around a bit on YT and spend a bit of time in the driveway. 

Seriously now, @Jaz Depending on where you in the country are and if your feet is size ~10, I can give you a pair of old Merida shoes and old Shimano SPD pedals (still working100%) to have and try for free.

Let me know if you interested.

Edited by TheoG

Proper pedals - preferably concave with replaceable pins, and wide enough for your feet.

Proper shoes - stiff soles so your toes don't curl over the front of the pedal, which is a quick way to break your foot. Grippy rubber also helps.

Proper technique - heels down on rough stuff, scoop forward on hops and jumps like you're scraping a turd off your shoe. Takes some getting used to. A dropper post also helps, otherwise your saddle can kick you off the pedals on bigger hits.

26 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Seriously now, @Jaz Depending on where you in the country are and if your feet is size ~10, I can give you a pair of old Merida shoes and old Shimano SPD pedals (still working100%) to have and try for free.

Stop forcing people to clip in

33 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Hey bud, I'm a size10/11, based in JHB. 

I'd love to try it out!

38 minutes ago, TrulySpoken said:

What worked for me was a pair of Specialized 2fo Roost flat pedal shoes. I find then comfortable and grippy enough. Paired with Burgtec MK5s they are a dream pair. I recently rode on plain old cage pedals with the 2fo Roosts and my feet felt planted enough!

I started out with "tekkies" ....

Getting a pair of Specialized 2FO pedals I felt like my feet were glued to the pedals. :thumbup:

Some 10 000 km later I can feel that they are losing a bit of grip .... some wear visible from the pins working away at the soles.  Time to order another pair.

I did look at a pair of DC shoes .... toooooo narrow.

Thanks for the replies so far. 

I have pedals similar to these, and wear my normal Nike takkies. They don't slide forward or backward, but when I jump, my feet lift off the pedals when landing. I guess I need to work on my technique. 

I watched pro slopestyle videos and noticed they keep their knees together, close to the frame when riding. Does this sound like a first step I should try?

15 minutes ago, Jaz said:

Hey bud, I'm a size10/11, based in JHB. 

I'd love to try it out!

100% Message me privately, then we can arrange. I'm in Alberton.

Edited by TheoG

1 hour ago, AkwA said:

Would honestly say, the best investment ive made while riding flats is proper technique. Its all technique, I am able to bunny hop nearly as high with normal Shimano SPDs and crocs, as with my flat pedals and shoes. You dont need your feet stuck to your pedals. Personally would check around a bit on YT and spend a bit of time in the driveway. 

SIES!