Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Been there, got the t-shirt, no thanks. Would rather live in SA with no power for 12 hours a day.

Interesting. Care to elaborate? 

4 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

Love South Africa - the diversity and nature is unbeatable.   BUT the only regret I have is that I didn't leave SA 10 years sooner, so keen to hear grease balls reason's.

On 7/23/2022 at 6:43 AM, RiverInTheRoad said:

It wasn’t as much a dislike of Aus, as it was gaining perspective and an appreciation of what we do have in SA - even with all it’s issues.

Having spent my time there as a teenager though, I wouldn’t want to raise my kids there. The freedoms of a “safe country” come with a whole bunch of other issues. I was exposed to a whole lot of things there at a very young age I did not see again until I was much older back in SA. That alone is enough for me to rather raise my girls here. 

And then of course, even though we ended up getting permanent residency, we were always reminded we were outsiders in some or other subtle or not so subtle way.

There are a bunch of other reasons I wouldn’t easily move there - but that is not an Aus reason and more a first world country thing. But those reasons are very subjective, so neither here nor there, probably not worth mentioning here anyway. 

Long story short, it would take alot to make me pick my things up and go abroad with my family.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

15 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

we were always reminded we were outsiders in some or other subtle or not so subtle way.

This is not easy for anyone to live with and one will never understand it until they experience it.  In my 20's I moved to the EC and I was forever reminded that I am from Joburg...I got so much relieved when I had to come back after a couple of years.

4 minutes ago, Craai said:

The recent enegy issue in Aus was driven by the coal price. The government regulate the electricity price,  the coal price went up driven by export demand.  During these times the energy producers obviously have no intention to make a loss and therefore enact routine maintenance. Aus government had to step in and they did. 

Way different to mis management and incompetence demonstrated by eskom.

18 minutes ago, BMXER said:

The recent enegy issue in Aus was driven by the coal price. The government regulate the electricity price,  the coal price went up driven by export demand.  During these times the energy producers obviously have no intention to make a loss and therefore enact routine maintenance. Aus government had to step in and they did. 

Way different to mis management and incompetence demonstrated by eskom.

Reasons may differ; end result the same

6 minutes ago, Craai said:

Reasons may differ; end result the same

?

The lights never went out, not once.

Sorry no result and no comparison at all.

Electricity price in Aus has moved about 8% in 5 years. What has eskom moved by, now that's a comparison to quote.

Edited by BMXER

22 minutes ago, BMXER said:

?

The lights never went out, not once.

Sorry no result and no comparison at all.

Electricity price in Aus has moved about 8% in 5 years. What has eskom moved by, now that's a comparison to quote.

Indeed it is; more relevant is the price per Kwh though. Australia around US 23c /kwh (or about R3.85) RSA around R2.58 on average

Edited by Craai

20 minutes ago, Craai said:

Indeed it is; more relevant is the price per Kwh though. Australia around US 23c /kwh (or about R3.85) RSA around R2.58 on average

Is that the full fee, or is there some fixed fee component ?

1 hour ago, Craai said:

In Upington we are paying R3.09.

18 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

we were always reminded we were outsiders in some or other subtle or not so subtle way.

My mother has been a citizen of that sand island for going on 15y now...and she is still treated like an outsider even though she still works a 9-5 at 62. So much so she is taking her Oz passport and kicking them to the curb. She cant come back here as i wont allow it, no future for her here anymore after being gone so long. She'll most likely end up in the UK where my sister resides. She's a frail-care nurse.

Six (3 couples - architects are sad) of my fellow graduates went there after varsity circa 2012, all got their citizenship, had kids etc....not one of them lives there anymore. They all say the same thing. The Last two fled right after the 'north korean' like covid BS lol. Now they are all stuck with litte mini versions of themselves with horrible accents😅

anyway...sorry OT

Edited by MORNE

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

My mother has been a citizen of that sand island for going on 15y now...and she is still treated like an outsider even though she still works a 9-5 at 62. So much so she is taking her Oz passport and getting kicking them to the curb. She cant come back here as i wont allow it, no future for her here anymore after being gone so long. She'll most likely end up in the UK where my sister resides. She's a frail-care nurse.

Six (3 couples - architects are sad) of my fellow graduates went there after varsity circa 2012, all got their citizenship, had kids etc....not one of them lives there anymore. They all say the same thing. The Last two fled right after the 'north korean' like covid BS lol. Now they are all stuck with litte mini versions of themselves with horrible accents😅

Yeah, it's a weird thing hey, our Zimbabwean nanny feels much the same way here in SA. Home is home at the end of the day.

I have to say, although I experienced it to a degree, talking to my parents now, especially my mom who tagged along for my dad's work - they experienced it alot more. She is a pharmacist, at that stage with 20 years working experience, but she had to do some exams and an internship that side to be able to practice - she was treated like crap by someone 20 years her junior, and she says where in SA she would give them a mouthful, there she just kept quiet and took the abuse because you know it's not your country, or your place. Luckily my dad's work had him back in SA after a few years - my brother and I luckily reverted back to our Souf Efrikan accents after a few months of being given shyte by our old friends back in SA. 

I'm very glad we came back, although I did enjoy the time there. 

Edited by Grease_Monkey

11 hours ago, Craai said:

As with everything in life,  to varying degrees you need to separate fact and fiction. So here is my last reply to this thread 

Leaving a town, province - net alone a country involves research, a clear understanding and importantly saying goodbye to friends, family and your entire network.   I refer to network as knowing where to go to get your valves set on your motorbike or where to buy the specific door hinge for the TV unit.   We are all aware of the old term “When We’s” when referring to our Zim buddies,  my point is that these folks are easy to spot -  they left physically but not mentally.

Immigration and change involves putting on your big boy pants and inserting a gum guard.   I won’t reply to the posts on hearsay,  ghost stories and third hand aunty experiences as I had to overcome more than my share of these when I made my move.

So directly to the electricity cost quoted and indirectly to the rest,  the fee you refer to of 23c US is close the gross peak tariff.   From my home usage and office where we run 2 large furnaces 24 hours a day,  the average is closer to 13c.   There are an array of tariff options, discount structures and time of day factors to understand.   So to put your comment in context,  you are correct but not accurate

Edited by BMXER
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Mecer Inverter backup system that needs repairs.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Western Cape that can take a look at it for me?

It is an out of warranty repair.