Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

Managed 24.1kw for the day from the 8 panels. Currently on 69%, the water cooler upstairs is on and the aircon was running during supper. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question for the experts; 

My friend is emigrating and wants to sell me his 1.2Kva Generator. He mainly used it when they went camping. Will 1.2kva be enough just to power my Wi-Fi router, tv and tv box, and maybe my PS5 and monitor?

17 minutes ago, Lexx said:

My friend is emigrating and wants to sell me his 1.2Kva Generator. He mainly used it when they went camping. Will 1.2kva be enough just to power my Wi-Fi router, tv and tv box, and maybe my PS5 and monitor?

My inverter is 1.2kVa mated to a 100 Ah battery. Yesterday it carried me through a 4 hour load shedding phase working at home using my notebook, second screen, office phone, and led lamp. At the same time my daughter was in the living room watching tv connected to a sound bar.

At the end of all that it dropped to about 50% usage, so I can't see why the 1.2kVa generator won't work. 

13 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My inverter is 1.2kVa mated to a 100 Ah battery. Yesterday it carried me through a 4 hour load shedding phase working at home using my notebook, second screen, office phone, and led lamp. At the same time my daughter was in the living room watching tv connected to a sound bar.

At the end of all that it dropped to about 50% usage, so I can't see why the 1.2kVa generator won't work. 

Thats pretty awesome, Thanks Robbie.

33 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

VERY far from being an expert - but if you have an Inverter with a lead acid (or gel) battery (non-lithium) that you deplete to 50% - it will not last long at all. Maybe a month or 3. Problems are:
1. Lead Acid batteries drained to 50% starts taking serious damage
2. Lead Acid batteries not fully charge between loadshedding schedules (happening often in Stage 5) takes serious damage

If you have the mula - get yourself a lithium battery - it is not subjected to above limitations. 

But - I am no expert...

Edited by pedal menace

Just now, pedal menace said:

VERY far from being an expert - but if you have an Inverter with a lead acid (or gel) battery (non-lithium) that you deplete to 50% - it will not last long at all. Maybe a month or 3. Problems are:
1. Lead Acid batteries drained to 50% starts taking serious damage
2. Lead Acid batteries not fully charge between loadshedding schedules (happening often in Stage 5) takes serious damage

If you have the mula - get yourself a lithium battery - it is not subjected to above limitations. 

But - I am no expert...

That's some expert advice right there, I cant agree with you more.

I will only use lead-acid in my car and other non high usage/draining applications.  I even installed Li batteries on our complex gate motor and at last we have zero issues with it.

15 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Anyone considering adding a wind turbine of sorts?

My concern with a wind turbine is that it is a permanently rotating solution that is exposed to the elements. The maintenance is going to be a lot higher no matter what. Next time you drive through farmlands count the number of working windpomps vs broken ones. If you have something spinning 24/7 you need to keep those bearings well sealed and well lubed. 

There are also other factors like buildings etc affecting the air movement. 

8 minutes ago, TheoG said:

That's some expert advice right there, I cant agree with you more.

I will only use lead-acid in my car and other non high usage/draining applications.  I even installed Li batteries on our complex gate motor and at last we have zero issues with it.

Is it a straight swap for the gate motor or did you need to change the gate motor charging circuit?

Wind turbines are very expensive relative to the amount of power that they generate.

As already mentioned, they are also very expensive to maintain

6 minutes ago, Showtime said:

Is it a straight swap for the gate motor or did you need to change the gate motor charging circuit?

If you use these, its a straight swap.  Granted, a bit expensive compared to the normal gate motor bats, but worth it.  I got 2 of these in parallel on our gate motor, we didn't run out of juice yet!

https://www.electromannsa.com/products/electromann-lifepo4-lithium-8ah-12-8v-rechargeable-battery?variant=42055397834993

For longer than 4 hour failures I also have a small solar panel with built-in charge controller that I connect, also from Electromann.

Edited by TheoG

Just now, TheoG said:

I you use these, its a straight swap.  Granted, a bit expensive compared to the normal gate motor bats, but worth it.  I got 2 of these in parallel on our gate motor, we didn't run out of juice yet!

https://www.electromannsa.com/products/electromann-lifepo4-lithium-8ah-12-8v-rechargeable-battery?variant=42055397834993

For longer than 4 hour failures I also have a small solar panel with built-in charge controller that I connect, also from Electromann.

Thanks, I'm going to test those. The solar panel would be a logical addition but it will get stolen before it get's a chance to prove itself. Makes me upset just typing that.

Just now, Showtime said:

Thanks, I'm going to test those. The solar panel would be a logical addition but it will get stolen before it get's a chance to prove itself. Makes me upset just typing that.

I manually connect the panel as and when needed, placed inside the complex, so, so far so good, not stolen yet ... 🤪.

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Yeah it'll work well.

Before solar I also used one of those 1.2Kva Inverters but with a 105ah lithium battery. Looking for R7,000 for it if you're keen - powered 2 laptops, 2 screens, 1 tv, fibre and 3 lamps without ever dropping to below 60% battery.