Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

49 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Lets put it this way, the less you deplete the batteries everyday, the longer they will eventually last.

Which in code, means that the other consumers in the house shouldn't go and blast every appliance just because the system can run it... 

Its all about changing the habits of consumption to best maximize the availability of the system. 

Imagine if Ouzo's MIL wanted to crank up the old block telly but couldn't because the geyser had used a lot of the battery availability... World war 3 I tell you

Edited by 117
Speeeling

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am in the 5kva vs 8 kva inverter conundrum. We do not run any ac or heavy duty equipment. Use around 600 units per month. Ideally future proof  with 8 kva inverter, but with current funds I would not be able to buy the panels now. With a 5 kva inverter I can add some panels immediately.

Or should I rather save up/finance and get the 8 kva system with panels to start getting some roi.

@W@nted We put in a 5kva hybrid system and have no issues with it, probably similar consumption to your monthly usage too. 

Just manage the usage on batteries and you'll be fine. 

You can always upgrade to the 8kva later and sell the 5kva when you need to - it wont hang around for long I can assure you

edit: Just re-read your post: pop the 8kva in now if funds are ok, add pv when funds allow. For now you can use eskom to recharge the batteries outside of loadshedding. That way you can just get on with life and be happy

Edited by 117

If you are planning on running your entire house (geysers, pool pump etc.), I would suggest you rather buy the 8kVA inverter. 

This will future proof your system and allow you to add more panels over time. Panels are relatively inexpensive in comparison to the inverter and battery, and can be added in various stages as funds allow. 

The alternative option is to buy a 5kVA inverter than can be run in parallel. This will then allow you to buy an additional 5kVA unit down-the-line (they will need to be the same model). This option is certainly more expensive, but would allow you to at least start with some panels now.

37 minutes ago, 117 said:

Which in code, means that the other consumers in the house shouldn't go and blast every appliance just because the system can run it... 

Its all about changing the habits of consumption to best maximize the availability of the system. 

Imagine if Ouzo's MIL wanted to crank up the old block telly but couldn't because the geyser had used a lot of the battery availability... World war 3 I tell you

Second loadshed of the day ....

Working from home .... busy with a Teams meeting ...

I see the battery has been working hard.

I switch OFF the tv ....

That LOOK could have re-charged the battery .....

the joys of having back-up power ....

Okay .... with so many posts about "wired to the DB" ....

This is a whole new can of worms !!!!

For some homes it is a breeze .... for others near impossible, i.e. a mess and damned expensive.

"Wiring to the DB" will include:

- getting a sparky involved and a COC ... which may have a range of different requirements, depending on the age of the home and the number of extras added over the years ....

- typically you need a "split DB", thus separating the "Essential loads" from the "non essential" loads.  Our DB is reasonably full and wont have enough space for all the extras .... add another DB .... wat jy WAAR sit ??

Ours is the classic town house with the DB in the kitchen .... it will be one ugly mess adding more stuff next to it !!

For those lucky enough to have the DB in the garage the options are endless.

- so where do you want to put this inverter and battery ?

... inverters in the house hummm, and the fans run when the inverter works hard .... NOT the sounds that belong inside the home !!  NOT when we talk of the DB wired larger units that will be working regularly.

- where to place the battery ..... This is normally placed near the inverter.  So make sure to plan sufficient space for the full installation.  Enough photos in this thread to get ideas about this.

- the logical next step is placement of the PV panels .....  The maths says the panels should face stellar North, and at an angle of "latitude + 10 to 20 degrees".  Realistically .. find that open roof that is free from shade ....  DO plan ahead for how you are going to route the cables ....

It is easy to get an idea of the price of:

- inverter

- batteries

- pv panels ....

but the many extras in mounting it all and rewiring the DB adds up to a very significant extra .... and it differs wildly depending on your home layout.

Yep, its that pv installation cost and coc that you dont budget for.... they hit you an arm and a leg for it. 

The rest is a minor cost to be honest

1 hour ago, W@nted said:

So I am in the 5kva vs 8 kva inverter conundrum. We do not run any ac or heavy duty equipment. Use around 600 units per month. Ideally future proof  with 8 kva inverter, but with current funds I would not be able to buy the panels now. With a 5 kva inverter I can add some panels immediately.

Or should I rather save up/finance and get the 8 kva system with panels to start getting some roi.

Go for the 8kva now, add panels later. Panels are 'cheaper' than a proper inverter and battery. I have a 8kva inverter and 10.7kw battery. Works perfectly - don't know load-shedding even exists. I will add panels next year, but got the big purchase out the way now.

Been chatting the wife. 
the 3kw system that the guy has can have panels added at a later stage, so could find a more permanent place in the house. 
wife will be chatting to her mom to see if she’s willing to assist. 

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Been chatting the wife. 
the 3kw system that the guy has can have panels added at a later stage, so could find a more permanent place in the house. 
wife will be chatting to her mom to see if she’s willing to assist. 

Few things to think about ....

1. Is this where you intend staying ?

2.   3kW is a good START .... The system will grow .... save a load of cash and plan ahead ....

3.  Some brands, and some models allows you to add inverters in parallel when you want to expand the system.  The crap with electronics being that there is no gaurantee that model number will be around next year .... maybe just get that 5kW or 7kW inverter ....

The unit costs a bit more.

The install cost goes up by the thicker wires only.

4.  Similarly .... do your homework about batteries that can be added to .... 

5.  Panels .... okay, lets wait a bit with these ...

Nee kyk, mens kan gou oorboord gaan ....

38 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

3.  Some brands, and some models allows you to add inverters in parallel when you want to expand the system.  

The one "mistake" I made, in hindsight, was locking myself into my current 5kw inverter. My inverter cannot expand. 

If I had to do it again, I'd install an 8kW system OR get a 5kw unit that allows expansion. 

Alright so after no joy with the supplier of my my inverter battery box, I swopped out the battery with an 80ah I have. It works extremely well. It does not even use a quarter of the battery power running a 46" led tv, ematic tv box and wifi. Now I have proven to the supplier their cheap battery is faulty and they finally replacing it today.

Anyway now I want to get another invertor system to run my fishtanks. I used to breed fish but since loadshedding has F'd me around I have cut down from 20 tanks to 2 running show tanks and I have 3 more which are empty(future plans).

So this is the consumption of the equipment

watts

What invertor do I need and ad a solar panel to eventually. Once I have the panel running I want to be able to draw power during the day and use the batteries in the evening.

Edited by Eddy Gordo

You get about 80% power factor when you convert to kva. With those numbers you'd need around a 1.5kva inverter/system to run the pumps

24 minutes ago, 117 said:

You get about 80% power factor when you convert to kva. With those numbers you'd need around a 1.5kva inverter/system to run the pumps

I was working on 1600 or maybe 2000.

Always better to over scope the requirements which will allow for future expansion (retrofits are always more expensive anyway)

2kva will be better but I'm not even sure if you get that locally? 

1 hour ago, 117 said:

Always better to over scope the requirements which will allow for future expansion (retrofits are always more expensive anyway)

2kva will be better but I'm not even sure if you get that locally? 

Maybe a decent 3kW unit.

Allows for adding panels later and running some essential house items as well ....