Groove Tool Pro by Ryder Innovation wins Eurobike Innovators Prize

News bot

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

YES! would not ride anything more than 30km without one.

I'm guessing skimpy 12spd chains are easier to break than old school 8/9sp ones that we were using when chainbreakers first appeared on multitools and quicklinks arrived?

Actually those pins in the 12 speed chains are VERY difficult to press out .... Found this out at home when I fitted a new chain.  Would hate to have to do this road-side with a small tool.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Actually those pins in the 12 speed chains are VERY difficult to press out .... Found this out at home when I fitted a new chain.  Would hate to have to do this road-side with a small tool.

SRAM recommends using a 12-speed compatible tool, especially with the Force flat-top chain. I bought the Silca Venti multi-tool specifically because of that (hopefully not tempting fate, but I haven't had to use it yet).

2 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I have broken a chain a few times out on the trails. I have never used a quick link to fix it. I fix it by screwing out the link`s pin a bit and then screwing the pin back in. I have never found this to be a weak fix, never did the chain break again. People are amazed when they see this, but it works, no quick links required.

I also used to do that but not anymore.  The general consensus I got previously "Not a good idea", and yet I thought I knew better 🙈.

Last time my chain snapped at that same spot where I pressed the same pin out and in again, so never again.

I also re-use quicklinks but I must say it's mostly 10 and 11sp ... I have also joined chains by just pressing out the pin most of the way and then pushing it back but again mostly 9 and 10sp

They've all worked OK but anything can happen I guess .... just as an aside when a chain like that breaks how do you know, FOR SURE, it is exactly where you have joined it by this method? #EkVraMaarNet

I have used a chain breaker , I carry a small one I got from RAV X a long long time ago, quite a few times over the years and it's got me home bar one time when it was just a crap chain on my SS

This tool is one of those 'gift' type ideas I give my family come birthdays, fathers day, Christmas etc 😎

16 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

I also re-use quicklinks but I must say it's mostly 10 and 11sp ... I have also joined chains by just pressing out the pin most of the way and then pushing it back but again mostly 9 and 10sp

They've all worked OK but anything can happen I guess .... just as an aside when a chain like that breaks how do you know, FOR SURE, it is exactly where you have joined it by this method? #EkVraMaarNet

I have used a chain breaker , I carry a small one I got from RAV X a long long time ago, quite a few times over the years and it's got me home bar one time when it was just a crap chain on my SS

This tool is one of those 'gift' type ideas I give my family come birthdays, fathers day, Christmas etc 😎

I marked it (with a permanent marker) since I was concerned about it.  This was on 12 speed, maybe OK on 9/10 & 11 speed.

Edited by TheoG

4 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I marked it (with a permanent marker) since I was concerned about it.  This was on 12 speed, maybe OK on 9/10 & 11 speed.

Good thinking Batman! I must be honest I would have no idea ....

No reuse issues with 8,9 and 10speed quiklinks . 11 is limited but can be reused through the life of the chain, 12 speed definitely not recommended but if it works for an individual then carry on

14 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I have broken a chain a few times out on the trails. I have never used a quick link to fix it. I fix it by screwing out the link`s pin a bit and then screwing the pin back in. I have never found this to be a weak fix, never did the chain break again. People are amazed when they see this, but it works, no quick links required.

14 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I do carry a quick link but never needed it. I have never seen any of my fixes break, maybe I am just lucky, but I have never seen the the same link break twice. I have even fixed other people`s chains like this, and they are always amazed that their chains are solid after the fix.

I’ve used the same technique with a Shimano 10 speed cassette and chain.  I thought I’d be minimising risk by working gently and carefully ensuring first-time pin alignment.  It’s lasted 4 800 or so km, with regular drivetrain light rinse and wiping and drying and lubing, including regularly lugging this almost 100kg body up and down steep coastal paths and the Lady Slipper Mountain and into and out of Baakens Valley.

Edited by justinafrika

17 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

My fixes was on 10 and 11 speed. I know for sure that the link didn't fail again because I have never broken the same chain twice. I said to myself that if the chain breaks again, then it is because of my dodgy fix, but these chains never broke again after the fix.

18 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

My fixes was on 10 and 11 speed. I know for sure that the link didn't fail again because I have never broken the same chain twice. I said to myself that if the chain breaks again, then it is because of my dodgy fix, but these chains never broke again after the fix.

Sounds like it work well on 9/10/11 speed chain.  It did not work for me on a 12 speed chain.

Edited by TheoG

Is there anywhere in the big smoke a chap can just walk into a Lbs and buy one of these? 

15 minutes ago, 117 said:

I'm asking so that you can go buy yourself one and be happy.... 🤣

Thanks for being concerned about my happiness 😁.  You clearly must be feeling much better?