Groove Tool Pro by Ryder Innovation wins Eurobike Innovators Prize

News bot

9 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Interesting.

Touch wood.............
Since 1997:  310,715km done - MTB and road, Sanis, Epic, W2W, Augusts and loads of training.  
Only once have I ever needed one.

I count myself then VERY lucky.

Maybe you don't have the big heavy muscles required to snap a chain .... 🤪

Edited by TheoG

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Weird question.........
Do you use the chainbreaker?

YES 

At home I use the proper chain breaker, but I have needed the chain breaker a few times trail side .... 

1 hour ago, Spinnekop said:

Interesting.

Touch wood.............
Since 1997:  310,715km done - MTB and road, Sanis, Epic, W2W, Augusts and loads of training.  

W2W 2019 I used a chain breaker several times in my teammates bike. Would have been up the creek without a paddle without one .

2 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Weird question.........

Other than as recently as last week. Barely ever, never in a race. But it is one of those items that when you do need it, you’re stuffed without it. The compact design here makes it worthwhile. Definitely on my list to replace my current bulky multi tool.

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Although its listed at Omnico, Olympic Cycles (or anyone else for that matter), dont have it yet.

So I need to stay calm and relax about it .... 🤣🤪

About 6 weeks, they say

17 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Weird question.........

YES! would not ride anything more than 30km without one.

I'm guessing skimpy 12spd chains are easier to break than old school 8/9sp ones that we were using when chainbreakers first appeared on multitools and quicklinks arrived?

18 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Interesting.

Touch wood.............

Wow, that's amazing. I break chains from time to time (mostly my fault/ poor maintenance), so have my routine to fix them quickly.

Before quick links, a chain breaker was the only way to repair a broken chain.

Although quick links can be a bit of false sense of security, in that if you have a link with bent plates, you need to remove that link with a chain breaker, before you can slip the quick link in line.

50 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

YES! would not ride anything more than 30km without one.

I'm guessing skimpy 12spd chains are easier to break than old school 8/9sp ones that we were using when chainbreakers first appeared on multitools and quicklinks arrived?

Surprisingly no. All 12 speed chain failures I’ve seen are in the uci WC XCO races. I suspect these are due to riders inadvertently changing up too many gears under very high load. The same failures occurred with 7/8/9/10/11 speed systems.

It would appear  that even amongst joe public 1x12 has resulted in fewer chain failures than any previous system.

the only real failure point is reusing the quiklink. Eagle quiklinks don’t like being reused more than once and even then if I remove the chain i fit anew quiklink. No chain failures in 5years

9 minutes ago, tubed said:

Wow, that's amazing. I break chains from time to time (mostly my fault/ poor maintenance), so have my routine to fix them quickly.

Before quick links, a chain breaker was the only way to repair a broken chain.

Although quick links can be a bit of false sense of security, in that if you have a link with bent plates, you need to remove that link with a chain breaker, before you can slip the quick link in line.

I have broken a chain a few times out on the trails. I have never used a quick link to fix it. I fix it by screwing out the link`s pin a bit and then screwing the pin back in. I have never found this to be a weak fix, never did the chain break again. People are amazed when they see this, but it works, no quick links required.

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Surprisingly no. All 12 speed chain failures I’ve seen are in the uci WC XCO races. I suspect these are due to riders inadvertently changing up too many gears under very high load. The same failures occurred with 7/8/9/10/11 speed systems.

It would appear  that even amongst joe public 1x12 has resulted in fewer chain failures than any previous system.

the only real failure point is reusing the quiklink. Eagle quiklinks don’t like being reused more than once and even then if I remove the chain i fit anew quiklink. No chain failures in 5years

I've always re-used 11 & 12 spd quicklinks - never had an issue - can't imagine spending up to 80 ronds on a SRAM 12 spd link every time i remove the chain to clean it. The only time i change it is with a new chain or it gets to a point where i don't feel a proper click when installing.

The "Not to be re-used" statement is marketing BS

1 minute ago, madmarc said:

I've always re-used 11 & 12 spd quicklinks - never had an issue - can't imagine spending up to 80 ronds on a SRAM 12 spd link every time i remove the chain to clean it. The only time i change it is with a new chain or it gets to a point where i don't feel a proper click when installing.

The "Not to be re-used" statement is marketing BS

After the first reuse the link just feels to engage too easily for me peace of mind of you check the engagement tabs in the quiklink from new to used there is significant damage. It’s an item I don’t feel the need to play Russian roulette.

6 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I have broken a chain a few times out on the trails. I have never used a quick link to fix it. I fix it by screwing out the link`s pin a bit and then screwing the pin back in. I have never found this to be a weak fix, never did the chain break again. People are amazed when they see this, but it works, no quick links required.

I also prefer to fix rather than simply replace, but I learnt something recently after having repeated chain failures where the fixed link then broke by the plate popping out of the pin. What I learnt with Shimano chains is that the pin has this ridge on the end which when you pop it the first time with your chain breaker, it leaves a tiny ring on the chain breaker pin. When you then reinsert the chain pin this ridge which normally sits outside the plate to hold the plate in, is no longer there and leaves the plate susceptible to popping off the pin. Which is why Shimano suggest you never simply rejoin a chain with a pin you have removed, but that you use their special pin which you snap off and it leaves a ridge on the outside to hold the plate in place. I simply cant see myself searching for a Shimano replacement pin in my toolkit trailside and then need pliers to snap it off, I'd rather remove the broken link and pop in a chain link.

7 minutes ago, tubed said:

I also prefer to fix rather than simply replace, but I learnt something recently after having repeated chain failures where the fixed link then broke by the plate popping out of the pin. What I learnt with Shimano chains is that the pin has this ridge on the end which when you pop it the first time with your chain breaker, it leaves a tiny ring on the chain breaker pin. When you then reinsert the chain pin this ridge which normally sits outside the plate to hold the plate in, is no longer there and leaves the plate susceptible to popping off the pin. Which is why Shimano suggest you never simply rejoin a chain with a pin you have removed, but that you use their special pin which you snap off and it leaves a ridge on the outside to hold the plate in place. I simply cant see myself searching for a Shimano replacement pin in my toolkit trailside and then need pliers to snap it off, I'd rather remove the broken link and pop in a chain link.

I do carry a quick link but never needed it. I have never seen any of my fixes break, maybe I am just lucky, but I have never seen the the same link break twice. I have even fixed other people`s chains like this, and they are always amazed that their chains are solid after the fix.

Some things which have really helped me with breaking chains are:

the moment you hear/ feel the chain skipping, misbehaving, stop and take a look to see if it is a salvageable issue then, it almost never gets better if you ignore it

be calm and fix it properly the first time, if you are too hasty with the fix, you often end up having to stop and fix it a second time, you dont want to end up with a chain in the spokes or a derailleur issue which could have been avoided