Groove Tool Pro by Ryder Innovation wins Eurobike Innovators Prize

News bot

Just now, RobertWhitehead said:

Thanks for clearing that up, now I can put it back into the cupboard 👍

Or use it ... 😂🤪.  Its really a neat compact design for taking with on a ride.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, TheoG said:

Nope, unfortunately not, I couldn't find it anywhere else.  I suspect the first to have it next would be Olympic Cycles, but that's just a guess.

I just collected mine from Olympic. They said that they got 10, but hadn't put them on the shelves yet.

Just now, splat said:

I just collected mine from Olympic. They said that they got 10, but hadn't put them on the shelves yet.

Please give us some feedback of how works

Just now, splat said:

Ordered from Evo, still waiting for delivery :(.  Yesterday Kevin from my LBS phoned saying they just got stock, so I could have had it already if I had a little more patience !

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Please give us some feedback of how works

The bike mount thingy is a bit useless because the groove or slot that the cradle has doesn't actually clip in, so it just slides off again.
And then the tool itself isn't particularly secure in the cradle. I don't think it would take much to launch the tool into another dimension (as an interstellar suppository) on a bumpy section.
That's all fine for me as I wasn't planning on keeping it on the bike anyway.

The chain breaker is tiny!
It also keep falling out of the hole it goes into, so you have to keep it in place with your finger.
Its 'driven' by a T10 bit, which also feels tiny.

You have to choose which bits you carry, as not all the supplied bits fit inside the tool.
The magnets that hold them all in place are not very strong, so you have to be careful. 

I say all of this bearing in mind that this is a compact item with quite a few tools crammed in. There has to be some compromise somewhere....
I hope that it isn't in the actual functionality of the tool.image.png.95c39cf64aec26716a7156eba4ae4ec1.png

48 minutes ago, splat said:

The bike mount thingy is a bit useless because the groove or slot that the cradle has doesn't actually clip in, so it just slides off again.
And then the tool itself isn't particularly secure in the cradle. I don't think it would take much to launch the tool into another dimension (as an interstellar suppository) on a bumpy section.

I've got the non-chaintool version, but I assume the mount is the same, and mine works fine. Not sure what you mean by "doesn't actually clip in", but mine seems pretty solid, so might be a faulty unit?

Did 150km, mostly on gravel, on Sunday, tool stayed put, no issues.

Edited by MongooseMan

5 hours ago, splat said:

It also keep falling out of the hole it goes into, so you have to keep it in place with your finger.

You have to choose which bits you carry, as not all the supplied bits fit inside the tool.
The magnets that hold them all in place are not very strong, so you have to be careful. 

I say all of this bearing in mind that this is a compact item with quite a few tools crammed in. There has to be some compromise somewhere....
I hope that it isn't in the actual functionality of the tool.image.png.95c39cf64aec26716a7156eba4ae4ec1.png

agree with the slop on the mount, unless this is on a road bike facing upwards, it will fall out for sure at some stage. i strapped the thing to the top tube of my trail bike and when i saw how easy it came out...i chucked it in a bag instead. put it this way, it comes out easier than some people's water bottles on bumpy descents 

Edited by MORNE

9 hours ago, MORNE said:

agree with the slop on the mount, unless this is on a road bike facing upwards, it will fall out for sure at some stage. i strapped the thing to the top tube of my trail bike and when i saw how easy it came out...i chucked it in a bag instead. put it this way, it comes out easier than some people's water bottles on bumpy descents 

Definitely something they need to fix urgently on it then ....

The last thing you want to be worrying about going down a rough sections is "anything" falling off the bike !

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

Definitely something they need to fix urgently on it then ....

The last thing you want to be worrying about going down a rough sections is "anything" falling off the bike !

A boer maak a plan and uses a cable tie 

6 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Unpopular question... Other than the compact size and the ability to clip it to the frame, what makes this any better than a small multitool with a chain breaker in your back pocket? 

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/i-beam-mini-fold-up-with-chain-tool-ib-3

I was hoping to reduce the bulk in the toolbag ....

Will wait for V2.0 ... with proper mounting.

13 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Unpopular question... Other than the compact size and the ability to clip it to the frame, what makes this any better than a small multitool with a chain breaker in your back pocket? 

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/i-beam-mini-fold-up-with-chain-tool-ib-3

This is indeed a very neat tool also.  I like the Groove Tool design though, personal preference I guess ...

The ratchet feature is nice and also that the body doubles as a lever and hence you will have some control over the torque applied.

17 hours ago, splat said:

Thank you - good feedback.  Just cancelled my order and will wait some...