Moving to Piket-Bo-Berg, which bike to buy?

Lazlo6

Hi Guys, 

I have a rather area specific question, hope someone could shed some light.

I'm moving to Piket-Bo-Berg area (Banghoek Private Nature Reserve) in the next month or so, and I figured its a perfect time to get back into mountain biking. I'm 32 years old now, last time I cycled was in my teens, and things seemed to have progressed at a mayor pace. 

I come from a competitive motocross racing background, and decided to hang it up after yet another serious injury last year. 

I need to start from scratch, as I haven't owned a bicycle in a long time. I want to buy a Trail bike, as I like the exciting stuff and understand the value of good suspension when things get rough. My question for you guys is, considering the type of riding around Piketberg (I have no clue), would I be shooting myself in the peddle not getting an XC bike instead?

I've read about some of the amazing trails on the mountain, but it doesn't seem to be accessible to the public most of the year. Other than the private trails, everything else seems to be dirt roads and jeep tracks. Or am I mistaken? 

Any info/input would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,
Louis

1 hour ago, Lazlo6 said:

Hi Guys, 

I'm moving to Piket-Bo-Berg area (Banghoek Private Nature Reserve) in the next month or so, and I figured its a perfect time to get back into mountain biking. I'm 32 years old now, last time I cycled was in my teens, and things seemed to have progressed at a mayor pace. 

I come from a competitive motocross racing background, and decided to hang it up after yet another serious injury last year. 

I need to start from scratch, as I haven't owned a bicycle in a long time. I want to buy a Trail bike, as I like the exciting stuff and understand the value of good suspension when things get rough. My question for you guys is, considering the type of riding around Piketberg (I have no clue), would I be shooting myself in the peddle not getting an XC bike instead?

I've read about some of the amazing trails on the mountain, but it doesn't seem to be accessible to the public most of the year. Other than the private trails, everything else seems to be dirt roads and jeep tracks. Or am I mistaken? 

Cheers,
Louis

Will you be in the reserve? will you be on a farm? I'll go Trail bike that area is rough. I know one of those farms you can get a day permit for. Who knows you might be able to make friends with the local neighboring farmers and they will allow you to ride their trails / farms regularly 

17 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

Will you be in the reserve? will you be on a farm? I'll go Trail bike that area is rough. I know one of those farms you can get a day permit for. Who knows you might be able to make friends with the local neighboring farmers and they will allow you to ride their trails / farms regularly 

Hi Milky,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

I will be in the Banghoek reserve. I do intend to get involved in the local community as much as possible, perhaps I get to ride the trails. Trail bike seems to be the way to go then. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Sjoe, that was quick and easy.

Haha, I would still appreciate as much input as I can get. 
It is however quite easy to convince a man in the direction he wants to go🙃

2 hours ago, Lazlo6 said:

Hi Guys, 

Cheers,
Louis

is there a way from banhoek up to piket-bo-berg itself, otherwise it is quite a drive around.

the best guy to speak to really would be Rikus from the farm/trail network up the mountain.

Lazlo you are moving to MTB heaven.

Just take some good legs with for all the climbing ....

Whatever you buy .... get the SIZE right.  Especially if you are on the cut between two sizes.

May be worthwhile trying to find out what brands have reasonable backup close by .... this may help narrow down the brands that you want to look at.   

Back to those hills ..... speaking to those that have done the Piket-Bo-Berg event .... make sure to get some climbing gears .....

Get something that can climb and don't believe the guys "ja my 160mm travel klim soos 'n bees" because he takes the shuttle every weekend.

It's awesome real mountain biking but 120/130mm is more than enough. Something like the new Trek Fuel, Scott Spark I also like the new Orbea but that might be a little too xc. 

I'm obviously special did it on my HT and loved it 😁

I'd lean towards a 140mm trail bike like a Pyga Stage Max or similar. They are really good for XC too, but obviously not as light. I find the longer travel confidence inspiring. Broke my neck on my 120mm bike a few years ago so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Those trails are rough but awesome so get the best components, especially wheels and suspension you can afford. And at least 2.4" tyres.

Enjoy shopping!

Ridden there twice, you climb all day long. 1000m in 30km easily! I would go for a downcountry bike and get it light. Specialized epic evo or maybe a Trek top Fuel on the otherside of the xc spectrum. I would not go heavier than that. 

Any of the following will be great: Trek Top Fuel, Trek Fuel EX, Specialized Stumpjumper.

As you have an MX background I would 200% recommend going trail bike. Don't go less than 120 mm. Sweet spot IMO is 130 to 140 mm.

1 hour ago, Lazlo6 said:

Hi Milky,

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. 

I will be in the Banghoek reserve. I do intend to get involved in the local community as much as possible, perhaps I get to ride the trails. Trail bike seems to be the way to go then. Thank you.

I answer my own question. The awesome but exclusive piketboberg trails on mouton valley farm used for the The U are unfortunately very close yet oh so far. despite being 2km as the crow flies, it is up a mountain and a 60km+ trip to drive there from Banhoek!

image.png.f1ac578537fecbb191d544ce473ac417.png

7 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I answer my own question. The awesome but exclusive piketboberg trails on mouton valley farm used for the The U are unfortunately very close yet oh so far. despite being 2km as the crow flies, it is up a mountain and a 60km+ trip to drive there from Banhoek!

image.png.f1ac578537fecbb191d544ce473ac417.png

Hi Shebeen,

You are correct, it doesn't seem like there is access to the top of the mountain from the reserve side. The longer way around seems to only way.

Hence my original question on XC vs Trail, realistically I am going to be spending a lot of time cycling from my house around there rather than drive an hour to start cycling.

But then again, I don't really plan on doing anything competitively again in my life. I am sure Ill have a nice time cycling on a shorter travel trail bike regardless.