HRM Chest Strap Issues

dexterdent

I'm getting this really annoying thing where some way into rides, my heart rate data from a chest strap starts dopping off:

hrdata.JPG.b2f75d6e4c14beed0900d3d97181588e.JPG

It starts by showing lower numbers than it should, and then ends up showing zero as the time goes on (and I start to sweat more).

Here are things I have tried:

1. Checked the receiver - it does the same for my zwift activities through and ANT+ dongle, and through my bike computer when outside

2. Got a new strap/pod - same result with both (Sigma and Tickr)

3. Cleaned everything thoroughly

4. Made sure to wet electrodes sufficiently before starting. Also tried not doing this. Didn't really have any effect at the start.

5. Fiddle with strap tightness and position

6. Different jerseys/no jerseys to eliminate static

So what I am basically left with is that either my sweat is magically VERY unconductive and when it starts to build up it blocks the signal somehow (this seems unlikely), or I sweat too much and the electrodes start "shorting" (for want of a better word"). Any tips or ideas of what I can do to fix this? It's pretty annoying as the HR data is worthwhile in zwift races to make sure I don't actually kill myself (and yes I have reached 210 max HR before and my doctor says it's ok, I just rev high).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - yeah Tickr, but also a Sigma unit (strap AND pod) changed. Multiple different batteries between the two as well

Edited by dexterdent

Yeah maybe I got a weird bunch of batteries somehow - even though I checked their voltage. Will try a new different brand as another test.

I'm also planning to get conductive ECG gel and try that, but not expecting great results (it's fine at the start, and fine on very easy ride, so very much seems sweat related).

Sometimes that childproof sticky bit on the back of the batteries plays havoc. Try get batteries without this layer!

Need "NEW" Batteries

Some Batteries Measure 3 Volt but cannot deliver Current after a while.

I've Had this Problem before.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Thanks for all the inputs.

I actually got the Tickr based on a DCrainmaker review: 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/wahoos-new-2020-tickr-tickr-x-in-depth-review.html

"TICKR vs Any Other Strap For Basic HR: If all you need is transmission of ANT+/Bluetooth Smart heart rate data for your app/device, I don’t think there’s any device that beats the base TICKR at this price point – since everyone else is more expensive and has less Bluetooth Smart channels. It’s a no-brainer to me…"

I suppose if I can't get this to work (and I'm hoping that somehow it's the battery issue as that is the easiest to solve) I'll just have to try one of the other brands.

33 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

Thanks for all the inputs.

I actually got the Tickr based on a DCrainmaker review: 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/wahoos-new-2020-tickr-tickr-x-in-depth-review.html

"TICKR vs Any Other Strap For Basic HR: If all you need is transmission of ANT+/Bluetooth Smart heart rate data for your app/device, I don’t think there’s any device that beats the base TICKR at this price point – since everyone else is more expensive and has less Bluetooth Smart channels. It’s a no-brainer to me…"

I suppose if I can't get this to work (and I'm hoping that somehow it's the battery issue as that is the easiest to solve) I'll just have to try one of the other brands.

He actually posted a small update to that review, in the summary section:
[Review Update: Nov 2021 – Just a very quick note that some 18 months or so later, where I stand with the TICKR & TICKR-X. In general, it works as I saw during my multi-month review period. However, as time has gone on, I’ve seen more quirks and dropouts, even with brand new straps. This has been mirrored not just by comments in the review section, but also other friends that have picked up the TICKR & TICKR X. So while it floats around the DCR Cave for usage, at the moment it’s kinda become a last resort sensor, since I just can’t trust it’ll work every time. And since I need this type of data for testing to work every single time, it’s in the penalty box.]

I have the previous gen Tickr Run, and I also get the same flatlining now and again. I'm trying a new strap now (Forza Premium), will see how that goes.
You can also try resetting it: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000359464-I-m-Having-Trouble-with-My-TICKR-What-Can-I-Do-

Although considering you get the same on two different brand straps, I don't know what the issue could be.

Edited by HdB

maybe your heart rate is dropping because you just super fit. The efforts are just getting too easy...ever thought about that possibility